Affiliation: South Australia
- Observation of the extent of smoking in a mental health inpatient facility with a smoke-free policyPaula Wye
University of Newcastle, University Drive, Callaghan, New South Wales NSW 2308, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 14:94. 2014..The aims of this study are to describe the extent of smoking and the provision of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) to patients in a mental health facility with a smoke-free policy...
- Top tips for embedding chronic condition self-management support into practiceSharon Lawn
Flinders University, Australia
Aust J Prim Health 16:334-43. 2010..Current imperatives to develop service models responsive to the growing demands of chronic conditions on health systems suggest that reflection on core change principles is warranted...
- Factors associated with success of smoke-free initiatives in Australian psychiatric inpatient unitsSharon Lawn
Department of Psychiatry, Flinders University, Room 4T306, Margaret Tobin Centre, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, South Australia 5001, Australia
Psychiatr Serv 61:300-5. 2010....
- Chronic condition self-management: expectations of responsibilitySharon Lawn
Flinders Human Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
Patient Educ Couns 84:e5-8. 2011..It therefore warrants further examination...
- 'I just saw it as something that would pull you down, rather than lift you up': resilience in never-smokers with mental illnessSharon Lawn
Department of Psychiatry, Flinders University, PO Box 2100, Adelaide, South Australia 5001, Australia
Health Educ Res 26:26-38. 2011..Understanding resilience holds potential lessons for health promotion and primary health care professionals supporting the prevention of smoking uptake and supporting smoking cessation by at risk groups...
- Additive and subtractive resilience strategies as enablers of biographical reinvention: a qualitative study of ex-smokers and never-smokersPaul Russell Ward
Flinders University, Discipline of Public Health, G P O Box 2100, Bedford Park, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
Soc Sci Med 72:1140-8. 2011....
- Is resilience relevant to smoking abstinence for Indigenous Australians?George Tsourtos
Discipline of Public Health, Flinders University, PO Box 2100, Adelaide, South Australia 5001, Australia
Health Promot Int 30:64-76. 2015....
- Supporting self-management of chronic health conditions: common approachesSharon Lawn
Graduate Program in Chronic Condition Management and Self Management, Flinders Human Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Flinders University, The Margaret Tobin Centre Room 4T306, Flinders University, PO Box 2100, Adelaide 5001, SA, Australia
Patient Educ Couns 80:205-11. 2010....
- Smoking bans in psychiatric inpatient settings? A review of the researchSharon Lawn
Division of Mental Health Finders Medical Centre, South Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:866-85. 2005..The main aim is to identify which processes contribute to successful implementation of smoking bans and which processes create problems for implementation in these settings...
- Psychiatric nurses' ethical stance on cigarette smoking by patients: determinants and dilemmas in their role in supporting cessationSharon Lawn
Division of Mental Health Flinders Medical Centre now known as Southern Adelaide Health Service, Flinders University of South Australia, South Australia, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 15:111-8. 2006..The findings suggest that psychiatric nurses can be more effective in the primary care role of supporting patients' smoking cessation if they receive adequate institutional support to do so...
- Cigarette smoking in psychiatric settings: occupational health, safety, welfare and legal concernsSharon Lawn
Division of Mental Health Finders Medical Centre, South Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:886-91. 2005..The aim of this paper is to raise awareness of this significant health and legal issue and to inform policy and practice change...
- Achieving smoke-free mental health services: lessons from the past decade of implementation researchSharon Lawn
Department of Psychiatry, Flinders Human Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Flinders University, Room 4T306, Margaret Tobin Centre, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide 5001, Australia
Int J Environ Res Public Health 10:4224-44. 2013....
- Empowerment, patient centred care and self-managementMariastella Pulvirenti
Lecturer, Discipline of Public Health, School of Medicine, Flinders University, Adelaide, SAAssociate Professor in Ethics, Law and Professionalism, School of Medicine, Flinders University, Adelaide, SAAssociate Professor, Flinders Human Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Flinders University, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Health Expect 17:303-10. 2014..An examination of the Australian National Chronic Disease Strategy and literature in the field highlights assumptions about the self-manager as patient and a focus on clinical settings...
- The mental health expert patient: findings from a pilot study of a generic chronic condition self-management programme for people with mental illnessSharon Lawn
Flinders Human Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Adelaide, Australia
Int J Soc Psychiatry 53:63-74. 2007..Less than optimal outcomes and escalating costs for chronic conditions including mental illness have prompted calls for innovative approaches to chronic illness management...
- Control in chronic condition self-care management: how it occurs in the health worker-client relationship and implications for client empowermentSharon Lawn
Flinders Human Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Adv Nurs 70:383-94. 2014..To examine health worker-client interactions during care planning to understand processes that foster client empowerment and disempowerment...
- e-Learning competency for practice nurses: an evaluation reportMarie Heartfield
Flinders Human Behaviour and Health Research Unit, The Margaret Tobin Centre, Flinders University, PO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
Aust J Prim Health 19:287-91. 2013..Merely providing practice nurses with necessary information via web-based learning systems does not ensure successful learning or progress toward improving health outcomes for patients. ..
- Mental health workers' views on addressing tobacco useMaxie Ashton
Tobacco and Mental Illness Project, Central Northern Adelaide Health Service, Mental Health Directorate, Department of Health, 338 340 Tapleys Hill Road, Seaton, Adelaide, South Australia 5023, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 44:846-51. 2010....