A B Chang
Affiliation: South Brisbane
- A randomised, placebo controlled trial of inhaled salbutamol and beclomethasone for recurrent coughA B Chang
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Arch Dis Child 79:6-11. 1998..A secondary aim was to determine if the presence of airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) can predict the response...
- Cough, cough receptors, and asthma in childrenA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Mater Misericordiae Children s Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 28:59-70. 1999..In this article the simplified cough pathway is presented and involves cough receptors, mediators of sensory nerves and the afferent pathway, the vagus nerve, the cough centre, efferent pathway, and cough effectors...
- Cough in childrenA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Mater Misericordiae Children s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD
Med J Aust 172:122-5. 2000..Non-specific cough, defined as a non-productive or dry cough in the absence of identifiable respiratory disease, is poorly understood. We briefly discuss major controversies in non-specific cough and its management in children...
- 'Free' surfactant in gastric aspirates and bronchoalveolar lavage in children with and without reflux oesophagitisA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Queensland, Australia
Intern Med J 36:226-30. 2006....
- A new method for objective identification and measurement of airway lumen in paediatric flexible videobronchoscopyI B Masters
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston 4029, Brisbane, Australia
Thorax 60:652-8. 2005..The malacia disorders are an important cause of respiratory morbidity in children, but no methods are currently available to measure these lesions or the airway lumen accurately. A new measurement technique is described here...
- Utility of signs and symptoms of chronic cough in predicting specific cause in childrenJ M Marchant
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Australia
Thorax 61:694-8. 2006....
- Relation between measurements of cough severityA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital Foundation, Brisbane, Australia
Arch Dis Child 88:57-60. 2003..While the relation between determinants of asthma severity is known, that for cough is unknown. We hypothesised that cough sensitivity changes relate to changes in cough scores and objectively measured cough frequency...
- Therapeutic bronchoscopy in a child with sand aspiration and respiratory failure from near drowning--case report and literature reviewN Kapur
Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre and Queensland Children s Medical Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, QLD, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 44:1043-7. 2009..The child was extubated 4 days post-lavage and on review 2 months post-event, was clinically well with airway resistance within normal predicted values measured on forced oscillatory spirometry (IOS)...
- A bronchoscopic scoring system for airway secretions--airway cellularity and microbiological validationA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:887-92. 2006..The system related well to airway cellularity and neutrophilia, as well as to an airway infective state. However, the system is only complementary to cell counts and cultures and cannot replace these laboratory quantification techniques...
- Application of chest high-resolution computer tomography in young children with cystic fibrosisJ M Marchant
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Mater Children s Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 31:24-9. 2001..Also, in this group of young children with CF, lower lobes are more commonly involved than upper lobes, which is in contrast to the classical teaching that CF lung disease begins in the upper lobes...
- Asthma management in indigenous children of a remote community using an indigenous health modelA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Mater Misericordiae Children s Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland
J Paediatr Child Health 36:249-51. 2000..To describe the management of asthma in children in a remote indigenous community and the delivery of subspecialist service through the indigenous health-care model...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis: tailoring asthma treatment on eosinophilic markers (exhaled nitric oxide or sputum eosinophils)H L Petsky
Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
Thorax 67:199-208. 2012..At present, there is insufficient justification to advocate the routine use of either sputum analysis (due to technical expertise required) or FeNO in everyday clinical practice...
- Diagnosing and preventing chronic suppurative lung disease (CSLD) and bronchiectasisA B Chang
Child Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre and Queensland Children s Medical Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Paediatr Respir Rev 12:97-103. 2011..Treatment is aimed at achieving a cure in those at the milder end of the spectrum to limiting further deterioration in those with severe 'irreversible' radiological bronchiectasis...
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide relates to cough sensitivity in children with chronic coughA B Chang
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Eur Respir J 30:66-72. 2007..Calcitonin gene-related peptide in bronchoalveolar lavage relates to cough sensitivity and is likely to be important in the pathophysiology of chronic cough...
- A comparison of fluoroscopic airway screening with flexible bronchoscopy for diagnosing tracheomalaciaM O Sanchez
Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre and Queensland Children s Medical Research Institute, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 47:63-7. 2012..We determined the sensitivity, specificity, and likelihood predictive ratio of airway fluoroscopy compared with FB in children suspected of having an airway abnormality...
- Anti-histamines for prolonged non-specific cough in childrenA B Chang
Royal Children s Hospital, Respiratory Medicine, Herston Road, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 4029
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD005604. 2006..It is commonly seen in paediatric practice. These children are treated with a variety of therapies including anti-histamines. Also, anti-histamines are advocated as an empirical treatment in adults with chronic cough...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials of gastro-oesophageal reflux interventions for chronic cough associated with gastro-oesophageal refluxA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane, QLD 4029, Australia
BMJ 332:11-7. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy of treatment for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) on chronic cough in children and adults without an underlying respiratory disease...
- Airway cellularity, lipid laden macrophages and microbiology of gastric juice and airways in children with reflux oesophagitisA B Chang
Department of Paediatrics, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Respir Res 6:72. 2005..The aims of the study were to compare (1) BAL cellularity and lipid laden macrophage index (LLMI) and, (2) microbiology of BAL and gastric juices of children with GORD (G+) to those without (G-)...
- Quantification of the magnification and distortion effects of a pediatric flexible video-bronchoscopeI B Masters
School of Medicine, Discipline of Paediatric and Child Health, University of Queensland, Herston 4029, Brisbane, Australia
Respir Res 6:16. 2005..The aim of this study was to systematically describe the magnification and distortion of flexible bronchoscope images taken at various distances from the object...
- Altered arousal response in infants exposed to cigarette smokeA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital Foundation, Brisbane
Arch Dis Child 88:30-3. 2003....
- Persistent cough in children and the overuse of medicationsF Thomson
Department of Paediatrics, Mater Children s Hospital, South Brisbane, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 38:578-81. 2002..Children referred for persistent cough were evaluated for the referring and final diagnosis, and the extent of the use of medications prior to referral and the side effects encountered...