Affiliation: South Brisbane
- Antenatal perineal massage for reducing perineal traumaMichael M Beckmann
Mater Health Services, Brisbane, Australia
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD005123. 2013..Perineal trauma following vaginal birth can be associated with significant short-term and long-term morbidity. Antenatal perineal massage has been proposed as one method of decreasing the incidence of perineal trauma...
- Hospital versus outpatient care for preterm pre-labour rupture of membranesMichael Beckmann
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mater Health Services, Raymond Terrace, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 53:119-24. 2013..To report the outcomes of women admitted following preterm pre-labour rupture of membranes (pPROM) and to determine whether the location of care (hospital vs outpatient) influences maternal and perinatal outcomes...
- Midwifery group practice and mode of birthMichael Beckmann
Mater Health Services, Raymond Terrace, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Women Birth 25:187-93. 2012..Whilst women report a high level of satisfaction, and experience lower rates of induction and epidural analgesia, a Cochrane review reported no differences in mode of birth...
- Mode of anaesthetic for category 1 caesarean sections and neonatal outcomesMichael Beckmann
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mater Health Services, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 52:316-20. 2012..In the UK, over half of all category 1 CS are performed under general anaesthesia (GA). In this setting, little is known about the effect of the mode of anaesthesia on the neonate...
- Predicting a failed inductionMichael Beckmann
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mater Health Service, Raymond Tce, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 47:394-8. 2007..Aims: To investigate the factors (particularly length of latent phase) that may influence mode of birth for women undergoing Syntocinon induction of labour...
- Comparison of a single vs. a four intradermal sterile water injection for relief of lower back pain for women in labour: a randomised controlled trialNigel Lee
Midwifery Research Unit, Mater Medical Research Institute, Mater Health Services, Raymond Terrace, South Brisbane, QLD 4101, Australia
Midwifery 29:585-91. 2013..The objective of this trial was to evaluate the degree and duration of analgesia provided by a single injection of sterile water, compared to four injections...
- Impact on Caesarean section rates following injections of sterile water (ICARIS): a multicentre randomised controlled trialNigel Lee
Mater Medical Research Institute, Mater Health Services, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:105. 2013..The objective of the current research is to determine if sterile water injections, as an intervention for back pain in labour, will reduce the intrapartum caesarean section rate...
- Morbidity associated with vaginal hysterectomies in Queensland public teaching hospitalsMichael Beckmann
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Bundaberg Base Hospital, Queensland, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 47:70-5. 2007..35 (1.07-1.72)), epilepsy (RR 2.00 (136-2.95)), preoperative hypoalbuminaemia (albumin < or = 35 g/L RR 2.08 (1.33-3.24)) as well as ASA > or = 2 (RR 1.24 (1.00-1.54)) and omission of prophylactic antibiotics (RR 1.45 (1.18-1.79))...
- Customised birthweight models: do they increase identification of at-risk infants?Kristen Gibbons
Clinical Research Support Unit, Mater Medical Research Institute, South Brisbane, QLD, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 49:380-7. 2013..at term by both an Australian customised birthweight model (CBM) and a commonly used population-based standard, and to investigate and compare the utility of these models in identifying babies at risk of experiencing adverse outcomes..
- The effect of cultural and linguistic diversity on pregnancy outcomePenelope E Thomas
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mater Mothers Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 50:419-22. 2010..Individually, each of these factors has the potential to influence health and pregnancy outcomes...
- Term stillbirth in older womenAmy Arnold
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mater Mothers Hospital, Raymond Tce South Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 52:286-9. 2012..The study shows that advanced maternal age is an independent risk factor for term stillbirth (odds ratio 2.42, 95% confidence interval 1.04-5.62)...
- A randomised non-inferiority controlled trial of a single versus a four intradermal sterile water injection technique for relief of continuous lower back pain during labourNigel Lee
Mater Health Services, South Brisbane, QLD, 4101 Australia
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 11:21. 2011..Therefore, the aim of this study is to determine if the single injection SWI technique is no less effective than the routinely used four injection SWI method in reducing continuous lower back pain during labour...