Affiliation: Royal Children's Hospital
- Babl F, Barnett P, Palmer G, Oakley E, Davidson A. A pilot study of inhaled methoxyflurane for procedural analgesia in children. Paediatr Anaesth. 2007;17:148-53 pubmed..Pre- and intraprocedure coaching is an important aspect of its use especially if initial pain scores are low. ..
- Babl F, Goldfinch C, Mandrawa C, Crellin D, O Sullivan R, Donath S. Does nebulized lidocaine reduce the pain and distress of nasogastric tube insertion in young children? A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2009;123:1548-55 pubmed publisher..Nebulized lidocaine cannot be recommended as pain relief for nasogastric tube insertion in children. The delay and distress of nebulization likely outweigh a possible benefit in the postinsertion period. ..
- Hearps S, Takagi M, Babl F, Bressan S, Truss K, Davis G, et al. Validation of a Score to Determine Time to Postconcussive Recovery. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..This study provides the first validated index (2+ items, 1+ severity) of concussion recovery for children and youth. Further studies in more varied samples are needed to establish the effectiveness of this method. ..
- Babl F, Grindlay J, Barrett M. Laryngospasm With Apparent Aspiration During Sedation With Nitrous Oxide. Ann Emerg Med. 2015;66:475-8 pubmed publisher..This case highlights that, similar to other sedative agents, nitrous oxide administration also needs to be conducted by staff and in settings in which airway emergencies can be appropriately managed. ..
- Babl F, Dionisio D, DAVENPORT L, Baylis A, Hearps S, Bressan S, et al. Accuracy of Components of SCAT to Identify Children With Concussion. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..There were no significant differences between ULI and Well control groups. Overall, SCAT3 and ChildSCAT3 can differentiate concussed from nonconcussed patients, particularly in symptom number and severity. ..