Affiliation: Queensland Institute of Medical Research
- Application patterns among participants randomized to daily sunscreen use in a skin cancer prevention trialRachel Neale
Population and Clinical Sciences Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Arch Dermatol 138:1319-25. 2002..Better understanding of sunscreen application patterns will lead to more strategic skin cancer prevention strategies among sun-exposed populations...
- Sun exposure, sunscreen and their effects on epidermal Langerhans cellsR Neale
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Photochem Photobiol 66:260-4. 1997..These results emphasize the need for continued public health education to protect the immune system from the damaging effects of UV radiation...
- Cognition and survival: an exploration in a large multicentre study of the population aged 65 years and overR Neale
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Post Office, Royal Brisbane Hospital, QLD 4029, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 30:1383-8. 2001..Dementia is known to shorten survival as is impaired cognition. Whether this is a continuous phenomenon and independent of other explanatory variables is less clear...
- Measuring behavioral interventions by questionnaires and prospective diaries: an example of sunscreen useRachel E Neale
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Epidemiology 13:224-7. 2002..Diaries are used to measure behavior in intervention trials, despite the tendency of diaries to overestimate adherence...
- Sun exposure as a risk factor for nuclear cataractRachel E Neale
Population Studies and Human Genetics Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Epidemiology 14:707-12. 2003..Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness and visual impairment throughout the world. An association of sun exposure with cortical cataract has been well established, but the association with nuclear cataract remains unclear...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk of actinic keratoses and squamous cell cancers of the skinGregory J Butler
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:966-72. 2005....
- Sun-related factors, betapapillomavirus, and actinic keratoses: a prospective studyPenelope McBride
Cancer and Population Studies Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 4029
Arch Dermatol 143:862-8. 2007..To examine prospectively the relationship among sun exposure, Betapapillomavirus, and development of actinic keratoses...
- The effect of skin examination surveys on the incidence of basal cell carcinoma in a Queensland community sample: a 10-year longitudinal studyPatricia Casarolli Valery
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australian Center for International and Tropical Health and Nutrition, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 9:148-51. 2004..We conclude that BCC that might otherwise go unreported are detected during skin examination surveys and thus that such skin cancer screening can influence the apparent burden of skin cancer...
- Association between ambient ultraviolet radiation and risk of epithelial ovarian cancerBich Tran
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 5:1330-6. 2012..These data suggest that exposure to ambient UVR may reduce the risk of ovarian cancer...
- A randomized controlled trial to assess sunscreen application and beta carotene supplementation in the prevention of solar keratosesSteven Darlington
Comprehensive Cancer Research Center, Population and Clinical Sciences Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Australia
Arch Dermatol 139:451-5. 2003..Solar keratoses (SKs) are among the strongest determinants of skin cancer, but little is known about the success of measures to control these common skin tumors...
- Association between ambient ultraviolet radiation and risk of esophageal cancerBich Tran
Cancer Program, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Gastroenterol 107:1803-13. 2012..We therefore investigated the association between nevi, freckles, and measures of ambient UVR over the life-course with risks of esophageal cancers...
- Clinical skin examination outcomes after a video-based behavioral intervention: analysis from a randomized clinical trialMonika Janda
School of Public Health and Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
JAMA Dermatol 150:372-9. 2014..Older men are at risk of dying of melanoma...
- Incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancer in relation to ambient UV radiation in white populations, 1978-2012: empirical relationshipsFan Xiang
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia2Centre for Research Excellence in Sun and Health, Brisbane, Australia
JAMA Dermatol 150:1063-71. 2014..Their incidence continues to increase in many countries. Exposure to UV radiation (UVR) is the primary cause of NMSC, although the pattern of exposure that gives rise to different types of NMSC appears to vary...
- Interrater reliability of injury coding in the Queensland Trauma RegistryRachel Neale
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Emerg Med (Fremantle) 15:38-41. 2003..In the interests of transparency and benchmarking between registries, we aimed to assess the interrater reliability of coding in the Queensland Trauma Registry...
- Validating the functional capacity index: a comparison of predicted versus observed total body scoresPhilip J Schluter
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, and the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Queensland, Australia
J Trauma 58:259-63. 2005..The Functional Capacity Index (FCI) was designed to predict physical function 12 months after injury. We report a validation study of the FCI...
- Markers of cutaneous human papillomavirus infection in individuals with tumor-free skin, actinic keratoses, and squamous cell carcinomaLinda Struijk
Department of Medical Microbiology, Leiden University Medical Center, E4P, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:529-35. 2006..Taken together, our data suggest that cutaneous HPV infections accompanied by detectable HPV DNA in eyebrow hairs and HPV L1 seropositivity, but not E6 seropositivity, are associated with an increased risk of AK and SCC...
- Keratotic skin lesions and other risk factors are associated with skin cancer in organ-transplant recipients: a case-control study in The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Germany, France, and ItalyJan N Bouwes Bavinck
Department of Dermatology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Invest Dermatol 127:1647-56. 2007....
- Sun protection and low levels of vitamin D: are people concerned?Monika Janda
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Park Rd, Kelvin Grove 4059, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 18:1015-9. 2007..To evaluate if these reports may influence peoples' sun protective behavior, knowledge, and attitudes to the impact of sun protection on vitamin D...
- Association between plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and fracture risk: the EPIC-Oxford studyAndrew W Roddam
Cancer Research UK Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Epidemiol 166:1327-36. 2007..15 (95% confidence interval: 0.82, 1.61) and 0.95 (95% confidence interval: 0.80, 1.13), respectively. These results were not affected by adjustment for potential confounders and were consistent across a number of subgroups...