Affiliation: Queensland University of Technology
- Location and vitamin D synthesis: is the hypothesis validated by geophysical data?Michael G Kimlin
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, QLD, 4059 Brisbane, Australia
J Photochem Photobiol B 86:234-9. 2007..In particular, it may no longer be correct to assume vitamin D levels in populations follow significant latitude gradients for a large proportion of the year...
- Occupational exposure to ultraviolet radiation: the duality dilemmaMichael G Kimlin
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Rev Environ Health 22:1-37. 2007..In addition, the duality aspect of health impacts from overexposure and underexposure to UV and the associated occupational health implications are specifically explored...
- Assessing the impacts of lifetime sun exposure on skin damage and skin aging using a non-invasive methodMichael G Kimlin
AusSun Research Lab, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Sci Total Environ 425:35-41. 2012..However, less evidence is available on assessing the relationship between lifetime sun exposure and skin damage and skin aging...
- Does a high UV environment ensure adequate vitamin D status?Michael Kimlin
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
J Photochem Photobiol B 89:139-47. 2007..No associations were found between 25(OH)D status and age, gender, smoking status, or the use of sunscreen...
- Geographic location and vitamin D synthesisMichael G Kimlin
Australian Sun and Health Research Laboratory, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Mol Aspects Med 29:453-61. 2008..This paper overviews concepts important to consider when assessing the impact of location and UV exposure on vitamin D synthesis...
- Estimations of the human 'vitamin D' UV exposure in the USAMichael G Kimlin
Center for Public Health, Research School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Queensland, Australia 4059
Photochem Photobiol Sci 3:1067-70. 2004..In this paper, we investigate how latitude impacts not only on the amount of UV available for vitamin D synthesis, but also the distribution of UV over the human form...
- Anatomical distribution of solar ultraviolet exposures among cyclistsMichael G Kimlin
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Qld 4001, Australia
J Photochem Photobiol B 85:23-7. 2006..Moreover, our observations suggest that even vertically-oriented, potentially shaded sites such as the lower leg typically receive doses of solar radiation no less than half of maximally exposed sites...
- Vitamin D status of adults from tropical Australia determined using two different laboratory assays: implications for public health messagesMadeleine Nowak
North Queensland Centre for Cancer Research, School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Photochem Photobiol 87:935-43. 2011..The lack of agreement between the two assays is a concern. Few doctors are aware of this measurement issue...
- Association between ambient ultraviolet radiation and risk of esophageal cancerBich Tran
Cancer Program, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Gastroenterol 107:1803-13. 2012..We therefore investigated the association between nevi, freckles, and measures of ambient UVR over the life-course with risks of esophageal cancers...
- Vitamin D and sun protection: the impact of mixed public health messages in AustraliaPhilippa H Youl
Viertel Centre for Research in Cancer Control, Cancer Council Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Int J Cancer 124:1963-70. 2009..This study provides evidence of reductions in sun protection practices in a population living in a high UV environment. There is an urgent need to refocus messages regarding sun exposure and for continued sun protection practices...
- Sun protection and low levels of vitamin D: are people concerned?Monika Janda
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Park Rd, Kelvin Grove 4059, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 18:1015-9. 2007..To evaluate if these reports may influence peoples' sun protective behavior, knowledge, and attitudes to the impact of sun protection on vitamin D...
- Factors associated with recall of media reports about vitamin D and sun protectionDanette Langbecker
School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, QLD
Aust N Z J Public Health 35:159-62. 2011..To assess the recall of media reports about vitamin D and associated factors...
- Vitamin D in health and disease: an insight into traditional functions and new roles for the 'sunshine vitamin'David Borradale
Australian Sun and Health Research Laboratory, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Point Road, Kelvin Grove, 4059 Brisbane, Australia
Nutr Res Rev 22:118-36. 2009....
- In vitro model of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) synthesis by UV radiation: dose-response relationshipsWilliam J Olds
Australian Sun and Health Research Laboratory, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove, Queensland, 4059 Brisbane, Australia
J Photochem Photobiol B 93:88-93. 2008..When translating these results to population groups, we will discuss how the sun exposure message needs to be carefully formulated to account for such considerations...
- In vitro model of vitamin D synthesis by UV radiation in an Australian urban environmentAlex McKinley
AusSun Research Laboratory, School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Photochem Photobiol 87:447-51. 2011..Although the results cannot be directly applied to humans, they emphasize the need for further study of human vitamin D production in urban environments...
- Hypothesis: hair cover can protect against invasive melanoma on the head and neck (Australia)Adele C Green
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 17:1263-6. 2006..We conclude that hair cover can protect against invasive melanoma on the ear and may similarly protect on the scalp and neck. When discretionary, hair may be an important additional factor to be considered for melanoma prevention...
- Latitude variation in pancreatic cancer mortality in AustraliaRachel E Neale
Cancer and Population Studies, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Pancreas 38:387-90. 2009....
- Knowledge and attitudes about Vitamin D and impact on sun protection practices among urban office workers in Brisbane, AustraliaLan H Vu
Queensland University of Technology, Queensland, Australia
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1784-9. 2010..Sun exposure is the main source of vitamin D. Increasing scientific and media attention to the potential health benefits of sun exposure may lead to changes in sun exposure behaviors...
- Assessment of daily light and ultraviolet exposure in young adultsKatrina L Schmid
School of Optometry and Vision Science, Faculty of Health, and Vision Improvement Domain, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland
Optom Vis Sci 90:148-55. 2013....
- Dosimetric and spectroradiometric investigations of glass filtered solar UVAlfio V Parisi
Faculty of Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, Queensland, Australia
Photochem Photobiol 83:777-81. 2007..The UVA dosimeter was employed in the field to measure the glass-filtered UV exposures to different receiving planes. The UVA dosimeter reported has the potential for personal solar UVA exposure measurements...
- Phenothiazine UVA dosimeter: characteristics and performanceKeqin Jia
AusSun Research Laboratory, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Photochem Photobiol Sci 9:1224-7. 2010..1. These characterizations have confirmed the reliability and reproducibility of a phenothiazine-mylar combined dosimeter as an effective solar UVA exposure tool for field-based studies of the UVA exposures to population groups...
- Murine neonatal melanocytes exhibit a heightened proliferative response to ultraviolet radiation and migrate to the epidermal basal layerGraeme J Walker
Oncogenomic Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Queensland, Australia
J Invest Dermatol 129:184-93. 2009..The exquisite sensitivity to UVR-induced proliferation and migration that characterizes neonatal mouse melanocytes may partly explain the utility of this form of exposure for inducing melanoma in mice that carry oncogenic mutations...
- Personal solar UV exposure measurements employing modified polysulphone with an extended dynamic rangeAlfio V Parisi
Centre for Astronomy, Solar Radiation and Climate, Faculty of Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Australia
Photochem Photobiol 79:411-5. 2004..The results show that longer-term measurement programs of personal solar UV have been made more feasible with the use of these polysulphone dosimeters with an extended dynamic range compared with unfiltered polysulphone dosimeters...
- Vitamin D, aging, and the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for AmericansMary Ann Johnson
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Dawson Hall, Bldg 1010, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 3622, USA
Nutr Rev 64:410-21. 2006....
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in girls aged 4-8 y living in the southeastern United StatesElizabeth M Stein
Department of Foods and Nutrition and Statistics, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 83:75-81. 2006..Evidence suggests that adults and adolescents throughout the United States are at risk of poor vitamin D status. However, vitamin D concentrations in young American children have not been assessed...
- Sun protection messages, vitamin D and skin cancer: out of the frying pan and into the fire?Monika Janda
Med J Aust 186:52-4. 2007
- Agreement between diary records of time spent outdoors and personal ultraviolet radiation dose measurementsGabriel Chodick
Radiation Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, NCI, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Photochem Photobiol 84:713-8. 2008..g. driving) in which the participant is usually shaded from the sun. Our results demonstrated a significant correlation between diary records of time spent outdoors with objective personal UVR dose measurements...
- The climatology of Vitamin D producing ultraviolet radiation over the United StatesMichael G Kimlin
Department of Physics and Astronomy, National Ultraviolet Monitoring Center, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 89:479-83. 2004..This data is obtained from the network of 21 Brewer spectrometers deployed throughout the USA, allowing for investigation of changes in Vitamin D producing UV with season and location...
- Human UVA exposures estimated from ambient UVA measurementsMichael G Kimlin
Centre for Astronomy, Solar Radiation and Climate, Faculty of Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba 4350, Australia
Photochem Photobiol Sci 2:365-9. 2003..Measurement of the exposure ratios for a series of solar zenith angles between 90 degrees and 0 degrees will allow extension of this technique to other latitudes...
- Quantification of the environmental UVA exposureMichael Kimlin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..