Affiliation: New South Wales
- Clinical assessment of the late-career medical practitionerChanaka Wijeratne
Senior Staff Specialist, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, and School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 24:140-3. 2016..This paper is a guide to the general psychiatric assessment of the late career medical practitioner (LCP) from a clinical viewpoint...
- Hippocampal and amygdala volumes in an older bipolar disorder sampleChanaka Wijeratne
Euroa Centre, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 25:54-60. 2013..The aim of this study was to compare hippocampal and amygdala volumes in older bipolar patients with controls...
- The characteristics of fatigue in an older primary care sampleChanaka Wijeratne
St George Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
J Psychosom Res 62:153-8. 2007..This has led to considerable debate about whether fatigue may present independently of psychological disorder. Somatic symptoms in older people have been assumed to be almost entirely physical in origin...
- Late life depression and dementia: a mental health literacy survey of Australian general practitionersChanaka Wijeratne
Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, and School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Kensington, NSW, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 21:330-7. 2009..This study aims to determine GPs' recognition of mental disorders in older people, their intentions regarding investigation, specialist referral and treatment, and their beliefs about prognosis...
- Reformulation of current recommendations for target serum lithium concentration according to clinical indication, age and physical comorbidityChanaka Wijeratne
University of New South Wales and Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 45:1026-32. 2011..It seems opportune to review current guidelines for target lithium concentration given the decline in lithium monotherapy and increase in the numbers of older people and those with comorbid physical disease administered lithium...
- The neglect of somatoform disorders by old age psychiatry: some explanations and suggestions for future researchChanaka Wijeratne
St George Hospital, NSW, Australia
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:812-9. 2003..The somatoform disorders have long been ignored by old age psychiatry. The main aim of this paper is to identify and examine possible reasons for this neglect...
- Separation anxiety in the elderlyChanaka Wijeratne
Department of Aged Care, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Kogarah 2217, NSW, Australia
J Anxiety Disord 17:695-702. 2003..Clinicians working with the elderly need to routinely explore this form of anxiety as it may complicate the pattern of presentation of other anxiety and affective disorders, and require specific forms of intervention...
- The development and testing of the quality use of medications in dementia (QUM-D): a tool for quality prescribing for behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD)Carmelle Peisah
Specialist Mental Health Services for Older People, Mental Health Drug and Alcohol, Northern Sydney Local Health District, Sydney, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 27:1313-22. 2015..Excessive recourse to use of psychotropics which have high risk to benefit ratio remains a global problem. We aimed to identify components of quality prescribing in BPSD to develop a tool for quality prescribing and to test this tool...
- Treatment-resistant depression: critique of current approachesChanaka Wijeratne
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Kensington, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 42:751-62. 2008....
- Neuropsychiatric effects of Parkinson's disease treatmentSallyanne Aarons
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Australas J Ageing 31:198-202. 2012..The challenge of treatment can be a trade off between the emergence of such side-effects and the amelioration of parkinsonism, best mastered with an informed dialogue between clinician and patient...
- Building capacity in identification and management of mood disorders: an Australia-Sri Lanka collaborationIlse Blignault
Developing Countries Project, Black Dog Institute, Randwick NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 20:53-6. 2012....
- Is there an independent somatic symptom dimension in older people?Chanaka Wijeratne
University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Psychosom Res 61:197-204. 2006..The main aim of this study is to determine whether discrete somatic dimension(s) could be derived in older people...
- Evaluation of an electroconvulsive therapy service in a general hospitalScott Lamont
Mental Health Liaison Nursing Mental Health Service, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 20:223-9. 2011..The audit highlighted areas of service delivery that should be subject to review and evaluation against professional standards...