Philip L Hazell
Affiliation: New South Wales
- The Children's Attention Project: a community-based longitudinal study of children with ADHD and non-ADHD controlsEmma Sciberras
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 13:18. 2013..The study aims to map the course of ADHD symptoms over time and to identify risk and protective factors associated with differential outcomes...
- The study design and methodology for the ARCHER study--adolescent rural cohort study of hormones, health, education, environments and relationshipsKatharine Steinbeck
Academic Department of Adolescent Medicine, University of Sydney, at Children s Hospital, Westmead, Sydney NSW 2145, Australia
BMC Pediatr 12:143. 2012..This study has been designed to provide evidence on the relationship between reproductive hormones and the tempo of their rise to adult levels, and adolescent behaviour, health and wellbeing...
- Tricyclic drugs for depression in children and adolescentsPhilip Hazell
Discipline of Psychiatry, Sydney Medical School, Concord West, Australia
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD002317. 2013..This is an update of a Cochrane review first published in 2000 and updated in 2002, 2006 and 2010...
- Acute treatment of mania in children and adolescentsPhilip Hazell
Discipline of Psychiatry, Sydney Medical School, University of New South Wales, Thomas Walker Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 25:264-70. 2012..To examine critically data concerning the efficacy and safety of acute treatments for mania in children and adolescents, in the light of considerable recent emergent evidence...
- Editorial review: Shifting views on juvenile bipolar disorder and pervasive developmental disorderPhilip Hazell
Discipline of Psychological Medicine, University of Sydney, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 21:328-31. 2008..To examine the changes in prevalence estimates and concepts of core disorder in two child mental disorders that were once considered rare, and to place these changes in a cultural context...
- Review of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder comorbid with oppositional defiant disorderPhilip Hazell
University of Sydney and University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 18:556-9. 2010....
- Drug therapy for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder-like symptoms in autistic disorderPhilip Hazell
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 43:19-24. 2007..Moderate benefit is derived from methylphenidate, atomoxetine, some anticonvulsant medications, guanfacine and donepezil. Data show dexamphetamine, clonidine, clomipramine, mirtazapine, and fluoxetine are of unlikely benefit...
- Pharmacological management of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in adolescents: special considerationsPhilip Hazell
Thomas Walker Hospital Rivendell Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health Service, Concord West, New South Wales, Australia
CNS Drugs 21:37-46. 2007..A negotiated trial of time off treatment followed by a review of the patient's symptoms can avert premature discontinuation of treatment...
- Group therapy for repeated deliberate self-harm in adolescents: failure of replication of a randomized trialPhilip L Hazell
Thomas Walker Hospital Rivendell, Hospital Rd Concord West, NSW 2138, Australia
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 48:662-70. 2009..To replicate a study, which found group therapy superior to routine care in preventing the recurrence of self-harming behavior in adolescents who had deliberately harmed themselves on at least two occasions...
- Core ADHD symptom improvement with atomoxetine versus methylphenidate: a direct comparison meta-analysisPhilip L Hazell
Discipline of Psychological Medicine, Concord Clinical School, The University of Sydney, Australia
J Atten Disord 15:674-83. 2011..This noninferiority meta-analysis compared core ADHD symptom response between atomoxetine and methylphenidate in children and adolescents...
- How oppositionality, inattention, and hyperactivity affect response to atomoxetine versus methylphenidate: a pooled meta-analysisGregory W van Wyk
Eli Lilly Australia Pty Ltd, West Ryde, NSW, Australia
J Atten Disord 16:314-24. 2012..To assess how threshold oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), inattention, and hyperactivity-impulsivity affect the response to atomoxetine versus methylphenidate...
- A randomized controlled trial of clonidine added to psychostimulant medication for hyperactive and aggressive childrenPhilip L Hazell
University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 42:886-94. 2003..To compare clonidine with placebo added to ongoing psychostimulant therapy for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder with comorbid oppositional defiant disorder or conduct disorder...
- Self-injury in Australia: a community surveyGraham Martin
Discipline of Psychiatry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 193:506-10. 2010..To understand self-injury and its correlates in the Australian population...
- Do adrenergically active drugs have a role in the first-line treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder?Philip Hazell
University of Newcastle and Hunter New England Mental Health Service, Australia
Expert Opin Pharmacother 6:1989-98. 2005..Although adrenergically active drugs may be the preferred treatment in the presence of severe comorbidity, for the most part they remain second-line treatment for ADHD...
- Review of new compounds available in Australia for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderPhilip Hazell
University of Newcastle and Wallsend Hospital, Child and Youth Mental Health Service, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 12:369-75. 2004....
- Comorbid oppositional defiant disorder and the risk of relapse during 9 months of atomoxetine treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderPhilip Hazell
Child and Youth Mental Health Service, University of Newcastle, Locked Bag 1014, Wallsend, NSW 2287, Australia
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 15:105-10. 2006..To examine the influence of comorbid oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) on the relative risk (RR) of relapse during 9 months of treatment with atomoxetine for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- A symposium on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). 'Kid in the corner'Philip Hazell
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Newcastle, Callaginan, 2308, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:475-7. 2002
- Long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the blood of children and adolescents with juvenile bipolar disorderEdward H Clayton
NSW Department of Primary Industries, Wagga Wagga Agricultural Institute, Pine Gully Rd, Wagga Wagga, NSW, 2650, Australia
Lipids 43:1031-8. 2008..As RBC DHA was also negatively related to symptoms of depression, a randomised placebo-controlled study examining supplementation with LCn-3PUFA as an adjunct to standard pharmacotherapy appears warranted in this patient population...
- Manic symptoms in young males with ADHD predict functioning but not diagnosis after 6 yearsPhilip L Hazell
Center for Mental Health Studies, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 42:552-60. 2003..To compare the outcome in early adulthood of males who met criteria for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and mania, ADHD alone, or no psychiatric disorder when aged 9-13 years...
- What is a clinically important level of improvement in symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder?Philip Hazell
Child and Youth Mental Health Service, Locked Bag 1014, Wallsend, NSW 2287, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:354-8. 2005....
- A prospective, multicenter, open-label assessment of atomoxetine in non-North American children and adolescents with ADHDJan K Buitelaar
Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Nijmegen, 9101, 6500, HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 13:249-57. 2004..The aim of this study was to study treatment response to atomoxetine in a large, multicenter study of non-North American patients with ADHD...
- Atomoxetine for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and oppositional defiant disorderMark E Bangs
Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Pediatrics 121:e314-20. 2008..In this study we examined the effectiveness of atomoxetine for the treatment of oppositional defiant disorder comorbid with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder...
- Comparison of diagnostic guidelines for juvenile bipolar disorderCatherine Cahill
University of Sydney Discipline of Psychological Medicine, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 41:479-84. 2007..It is recommended that clinicians and researchers need to develop diagnostic guidelines that have clinical salience and can be used for future research by incorporating key features of those that are currently available...
- Clinical management of deliberate self-harm in young people: the need for evidence-based approaches to reduce repetitionJane Burns
beyondblue the national depression initiative Hawthorn West, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:121-8. 2005..To examine the evidence for the effectiveness of clinical interventions designed to reduce the repetition of deliberate self-harm (DSH) in adolescents and young adults...