David R Williams
Affiliation: Monash University
- Progressive supranuclear palsy: clinicopathological concepts and diagnostic challengesDavid R Williams
Faculty of Medicine Neurosciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Lancet Neurol 8:270-9. 2009..In this way, the development of the clinical features can be informative in assigning less common nosological categories that give clues to the underlying pathology and an understanding of the expected clinical course...
- Influence of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms in COMT , MAO-A and BDNF Genes on Dyskinesias and Levodopa Use in Parkinson's DiseasePerdita Cheshire
Department of Medicine Neuroscience, Monash University Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Neurodegener Dis 13:24-8. 2014..The possibility that combined COMT and MAO-A genotype is a significant factor in determining an individual's lifetime levodopa exposure warrants further investigation. ..
- What features improve the accuracy of the clinical diagnosis of progressive supranuclear palsy-parkinsonism (PSP-P)?David R Williams
Van Cleef Roet Centre for Nervous Diseases, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mov Disord 25:357-62. 2010..PSP-P shares many clinical features with PD and DLB, MSA and VP, but visual hallucinations, drug induced dyskinesias and autonomic dysfunction are very uncommon and may be helpful exclusion criteria...
- Biological fluid biomarkers in neurodegenerative parkinsonismMichael Eller
Department of Neurosciences, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Nat Rev Neurol 5:561-70. 2009..Despite such difficulties, improved technology, in conjunction with advances in nosology and pathology, means that biomarkers are poised to enter routine clinical practice to aid the differentiation of parkinsonian disorders...
- Characterising the uncommon corticobasal syndrome presentation of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseWill Lee
Department of Neuroscience, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 19:81-5. 2013..It may occur in other neurodegenerative disorders including sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD). Current CBD diagnostic criteria outline features of CBS but fail to distinguish CBD from other causative pathologies...
- J. Clifford Richardson and 50 years of progressive supranuclear palsyDavid R Williams
Faculty of Medicine, Monash University, Alfred Hospital Campus, Melbourne, Australia
Neurology 70:566-73. 2008..To trace the historical events leading to Richardson's clinical description of progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) in the context of subsequent observations of its clinical heterogeneity and pathologic overlap with other tauopathies...
- α-Synuclein in Parkinson disease and other neurodegenerative disordersMichael Eller
Department of Neurosciences, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:403-8. 2011..Future studies using standardized techniques and larger patient numbers are awaited to realise the full potential of αS as a more definitive diagnostic biomarker...
- Clinical, laboratory and electrophysiological features of Morvan's Fibrillary ChoreaWill Lee
Department of Neuroscience, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 20:1246-9. 2013..Early initiation of immunotherapies and malignancy screening are important to prevent adverse outcomes in a condition that generally responds favourably to treatment. ..
- Cognitive testing in the diagnosis of parkinsonian disorders: a critical appraisal of the literatureWill Lee
Department of Neuroscience, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mov Disord 27:1243-54. 2012..Even these features must be interpreted in conjunction with other clinical characteristics to be helpful diagnostically. © 2012 Movement Disorder Society...
- Serotonergic involvement in levodopa-induced dyskinesias in Parkinson's diseasePerdita A Cheshire
Van Cleef Roet Centre for Nervous Diseases, 4th Floor, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, 89 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 19:343-8. 2012....
- Visual hallucinations in the differential diagnosis of parkinsonismKelly Bertram
Neurology Department, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:448-52. 2012..In this review, the published frequencies of VH in these different conditions are compared to put into context the notion of VH as a clinical clue to underlying Lewy body pathology...
- Inhibitory control during smooth pursuit in Parkinson's disease and Huntington's diseaseTracy Henderson
School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Clayton Campus, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Mov Disord 26:1893-9. 2011..This suggests that ocular motility may provide a sensitive marker of clinical disease progression in Huntington's disease...
- My hands shake--classification and treatment of tremorDharshana Sirisena
Van Cleef Roet Centre for Nervous Diseases, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 38:678-83. 2009..Most tremors can be separated according to the state in which they occur, that is, during rest or action. Other clinical features, including frequency, amplitude and associated neurological signs, further define tremor...
- Pure akinesia with gait freezing: a third clinical phenotype of progressive supranuclear palsyDavid R Williams
Faculty of Medicine Neurosciences, Monash University Alfred Hospital Campus, Melbourne, Australia
Mov Disord 22:2235-41. 2007..This relatively uncommon presentation of PSP-tau pathology has less severe tau accumulation than in the more common, "classic" PSP clinical phenotype: Richardson's disease...