Joseph A Nicolazzo
Affiliation: Monash University
- McInerney M, Volitakis I, Bush A, Banks W, Short J, Nicolazzo J. Ionophore and Biometal Modulation of P-glycoprotein Expression and Function in Human Brain Microvascular Endothelial Cells. Pharm Res. 2018;35:83 pubmed publisher..6-fold). Enhanced delivery of copper to human brain microvascular endothelial cells is associated with enhanced expression and function of the important efflux pump P-gp, which may provide therapeutic opportunities for P-gp modulation. ..
- McInerney M, Pan Y, Short J, Nicolazzo J. Development and Validation of an In-Cell Western for Quantifying P-Glycoprotein Expression in Human Brain Microvascular Endothelial (hCMEC/D3) Cells. J Pharm Sci. 2017;106:2614-2624 pubmed publisher..The correlation of P-gp upregulation by WB, rhodamine-123 uptake, and the ICW protocol provide validation of a new ICW method as an alternative method for quantification of P-gp in hCMEC/D3 cells. ..
- Lee G, Pan Y, Scanlon M, Porter C, Nicolazzo J. Fatty Acid-Binding Protein 5 Mediates the Uptake of Fatty Acids, but not Drugs, Into Human Brain Endothelial Cells. J Pharm Sci. 2018;107:1185-1193 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although FABP5 facilitates brain endothelial cell uptake of fatty acids, it has limited effects on brain endothelial cell uptake and BBB transport of drugs with lower affinity for FABP5. ..
- Jin L, Boyd B, Larson I, Pennington M, Norton R, Nicolazzo J. Enabling Noninvasive Systemic Delivery of the Kv1.3-Blocking Peptide HsTX1[R14A] via the Buccal Mucosa. J Pharm Sci. 2016;105:2173-9 pubmed publisher..9 Â± 9.7 and 31.0 Â± 2.3 nMÂ·h, respectively. The buccal mucosa is a promising alternative administration route for the systemic delivery of HsTX1[R14A] for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. ..
- Pan Y, Short J, Choy K, Zeng A, Marriott P, Owada Y, et al. Fatty Acid-Binding Protein 5 at the Blood-Brain Barrier Regulates Endogenous Brain Docosahexaenoic Acid Levels and Cognitive Function. J Neurosci. 2016;36:11755-11767 pubmed..g., Alzheimer's disease), may provide a novel therapeutic approach for restoring cognitive function. ..
- McInerney M, Short J, Nicolazzo J. Neurovascular Alterations in Alzheimer's Disease: Transporter Expression Profiles and CNS Drug Access. AAPS J. 2017;19:940-956 pubmed publisher..Lastly, we include within this review research that focuses on how altered properties of the BBB in AD impact upon CNS exposure of therapeutic agents and the potential clinical impact that this may have on people with this disease. ..