Genomes and Genes
David A Jans
Affiliation: Monash University
- Caly L, Li H, Bogoyevitch M, Jans D. c-Jun N-terminal kinase activity is required for efficient respiratory syncytial virus production. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;483:64-68 pubmed publisher..The results implicate JNK1/2 as a key host factor for RSV virus production, raising the possibility of agents targeting JNK activity as potential anti-RSV therapeutics. ..
- Wang C, Yang S, Smith K, Forwood J, Jans D. Nuclear import inhibitor N-(4-hydroxyphenyl) retinamide targets Zika virus (ZIKV) nonstructural protein 5 to inhibit ZIKV infection. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1555-1559 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we show that 4-HPR has potent anti-ZIKV activity at low ?M concentrations. With an established safety profile for human use, 4-HPR represents an exciting possibility as an anti-ZIKV agent...
- Hu M, Li H, Bogoyevitch M, Jans D. Mitochondrial protein p32/HAPB1/gC1qR/C1qbp is required for efficient respiratory syncytial virus production. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:460-465 pubmed publisher..The results implicate p32 as a key host factor for RSV virus production, and bring to light the potential importance of mitochondria in RSV infection. ..
- Davies R, Wagstaff K, McLaughlin E, Loveland K, Jans D. The BRCA1-binding protein BRAP2 can act as a cytoplasmic retention factor for nuclear and nuclear envelope-localizing testicular proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:3436-3444 pubmed publisher..These results imply for the first time that BRAP2 may have an important role in modulating subcellular localization during testicular development. ..
- Fatima S, Wagstaff K, Lieu K, Davies R, Tanaka S, Yamaguchi Y, et al. Interactome of the inhibitory isoform of the nuclear transporter Importin 13. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:546-561 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings show, for the first time, that tImp13 may have a functional role in the mature spermatozoa, in addition to that in the meiotic germ cells of the testis. ..
- Fraser J, Rawlinson S, Heaton S, Jans D. Dynamic Nucleolar Targeting of Dengue Virus Polymerase NS5 in Response to Extracellular pH. J Virol. 2016;90:5797-5807 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study identifies a unique subcellular trafficking event and suggests that DENV is able to detect and respond dynamically to environmental changes. ..
- Caly L, Kassouf V, Moseley G, Diefenbach R, Cunningham A, Jans D. Fast track, dynein-dependent nuclear targeting of human immunodeficiency virus Vpr protein; impaired trafficking in a clinical isolate. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;470:735-740 pubmed publisher..The results implicate MTs/DYNLT1 as drivers of Vpr nuclear import and HIV infection, with important therapeutic implications. ..
- Fraser J, Wang C, Chan K, Vasudevan S, Jans D. Novel dengue virus inhibitor 4-HPR activates ATF4 independent of protein kinase R-like Endoplasmic Reticulum Kinase and elevates levels of eIF2Î± phosphorylation in virus infected cells. Antiviral Res. 2016;130:1-6 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first detailed insight into the cellular effects modulated by 4-HPR in DENV-infected cells, critical to progressing 4-HPR towards the clinic. ..
- Fulcher A, Sivakumaran H, Jin H, Rawle D, Harrich D, Jans D. The protein arginine methyltransferase PRMT6 inhibits HIV-1 Tat nucleolar retention. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:254-62 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report of specific protein methylation inhibiting nucleolar retention. ..
- Suarez Sanchez R, Aguilar A, Wagstaff K, Velez G, Azuara Medina P, Gomez P, et al. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy gene product dystrophin Dp71d is dependent on the importin ?/? and CRM1 nuclear transporters and microtubule motor dynein. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:985-1001 pubmed publisher..The clear implication is that Dp71d's previously unrecognised nuclear transport properties likely contribute to various, important physiological roles. ..