Affiliation: Monash University
- Up-regulation of cortical AMPA receptor binding in the fawn-hooded rat following ethanol withdrawalF Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Wellington Road, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia
Eur J Pharmacol 384:139-46. 1999..The findings suggest that AMPA receptors in frontal cortical regions are sensitive to ethanol and therefore may be implicated in the predisposition of alcohol preference in FH rats...
- 5-HT transporter sites and 5-HT1A and 5-HT3 receptors in Fawn-Hooded rats: a quantitative autoradiography studyF Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24:1093-102. 2000..The neuroanatomical profiles of 5-HT1A receptors, 5-HT3 receptors, and 5-HT transporters (5-HTT) in the brain of the Fawn-Hooded (FH) rat, particularly mesocorticolimbic regions, are not fully elucidated...
- Autoradiographic quantification of neurochemical markers of serotonin, dopamine and opioid systems in rat brain mesolimbic regions following chronic St John's wort treatmentFeng Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Monash University, Wellington Road, PO Box 13E, 3800, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 367:126-33. 2003....
- The effects of antidepressant treatment on serotonergic and dopaminergic systems in Fawn-Hooded rats: a quantitative autoradiography studyFeng Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Brain Res 976:22-9. 2003....
- AT1 receptors in the paraventricular nucleus mediate the hyperthermia-induced reflex reduction of renal blood flow in ratsFeng Chen
School of Medical Sciences, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University, P O Box 71, Bundoora 3083, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 300:R479-85. 2011..The results suggest that endogenous ANG II acts on AT1 receptors in the PVN to mediate the reduction in RBF induced by hyperthermia...
- Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase in the paraventricular nucleus prevents the hyperthermia-induced reduction of mesenteric blood flow in ratsFeng Chen
School of Medical Sciences, RMIT Univ, PO Box 71, Bundoora 3083, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 299:R596-602. 2010..In the absence of hyperthermia, however, endogenous NO in the PVN may play a role in maintaining mesenteric vasodilation...
- Long-term administration of cocaine or serotonin reuptake inhibitors results in anatomical and neurochemical changes in noradrenergic, dopaminergic, and serotonin pathwaysMalcolm K Horne
Brain Injury and Repair, Howard Florey Institute, and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Neurochem 106:1731-44. 2008..Moreover, our data suggest that drug-induced plastic adaptation is anatomically widespread and consequently, likely to have multiple and complex consequences...
- Cocaine-mediated synaptic potentiation is absent in VTA neurons from mGlu5-deficient miceMichael K Bird
Howard Florey Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 13:133-41. 2010..In contrast, the mGlu5 receptor may not be essential for psychostimulant behavioural sensitization; although it probably impacts other aspects drug addiction, such as motivation to self-administer...
- High-fat feeding alters the cardiovascular role of the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleusFeng Chen
School of Medical Sciences and Health Innovations Research Institute, RMIT University, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R799-807. 2010..In conclusion, the role of the paraventricular nucleus in cardiovascular regulation can be altered by a diet high in fat, even when hypertension and obesity are absent...
- Increased anxiety 3 months after brief exposure to MDMA ("Ecstasy") in rats: association with altered 5-HT transporter and receptor densityIain S McGregor
School of Psychology, University of Sydney, A19, NSW 2006, Australia
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1472-84. 2003..Interestingly, long-term 5-HT depletion may not be necessary to produce lasting effects on anxiety-like behavior after low-dose MDMA...
- 5-HT2A/2C receptor and 5-HT transporter densities in mice prone or resistant to chronic high-fat diet-induced obesity: a quantitative autoradiography studyXu Feng Huang
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, Smart Food Center, Department of Biomedical Science, University of Wollongong, Northfield Avenue, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Brain Res 1018:227-35. 2004..It provides neural anatomical bases by which genetic variability in 5-HT2A/2C receptors and 5-HT transporter may influence satiety and sensory aspects of energy balance...
- Chronic antidepressant treatment causes a selective reduction of mu-opioid receptor binding and functional coupling to G Proteins in the amygdala of fawn-hooded ratsFeng Chen
Howard Florey Institute, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 310:1020-6. 2004....
- Effect of methyl jasmonate on phenolics, isothiocyanate, and metabolic enzymes in radish sprout (Raphanus sativus L.)Hyun Jin Kim
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina 29634, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:7263-9. 2006..However, the same treatment decreased the amount of 4-methylthio-3-butenylisothiocyanate (MTBITC), a major isothiocyanate in radish sprout and the activity of myrosinase, an enzyme related to produce isothiocyanates...
- Heterocyclic amines: chemistry and healthKa Wing Cheng
Department of Botany, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, PR China
Mol Nutr Food Res 50:1150-70. 2006..Various inhibitory strategies, ranging from modifying cooking conditions to incorporation of different modulators, have been developed. This will remain one of the foremost areas of research in the field of food chemistry and safety...
- Preparative purification of glycyrrhizin extracted from the root of liquorice using high-speed counter-current chromatographyYue Jiang
Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong, China
J Chromatogr A 1033:183-6. 2004..The lower phase was used as the mobile phase in the head-to-tail elution mode. The present method yielded 42.2 mg glycyrrhizin at 96.8% purity from 130 mg of the crude exact with 95.2% recovery as determined by HPLC analysis...
- Inhibitory effect of fruit extracts on the formation of heterocyclic aminesKa Wing Cheng
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, P R China
J Agric Food Chem 55:10359-65. 2007..The findings provide valuable information for the development of effective strategies to minimize HA content of cooked meats and to identify several new natural products that may have new applications in the food industry...
- Hypericin as a marker for determination of tissue viability after radiofrequency ablation in a murine liver tumor modelMarie Van De Putte
Laboratory for Pharmaceutical Biology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Oncol Rep 19:927-32. 2008..The results suggest that hypericin offers significant potential in the early assessment of response following necrosis-inducing antineoplastic treatments such as RFA...
- Apelin-induced vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation: the regulation of cyclin D1Feng Li
Institute of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Nanhua University, Hengyang, China
Front Biosci 13:3786-92. 2008..Taken together, these data established that apelin-13 stimulates vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation by promoting the G1-S phase transition, and that this effect is mediated in part by an apelin-pERK1/2-cyclin D1 signal cascade...
- Modulation of high alcohol drinking in the inbred Fawn-Hooded (FH/Wjd) rat strain: implications for treatmentDavid H Overstreet
Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies and Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Addict Biol 11:356-73. 2006....
- Chemopreventive effects of Khaya senegalensis bark extract on human colorectal cancerXiao M Androulakis
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of South Carolina, South Carolina Cancer Center, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
Anticancer Res 26:2397-405. 2006..Since all three cell lines, irrespective of COX-2 status (HCT-15 is COX-2-deficient), were affected by the treatment, it can be concluded that both COX-dependent and COX-independent pathways are activated by KSBE...
- Proteolysis of the mismatch repair protein MLH1 by caspase-3 promotes DNA damage-induced apoptosisFeng Chen
Cell Death Regulation Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 279:27542-8. 2004..These results indicate that the proteolysis of MLH1 by caspase-3 plays a functionally important and previously unrecognized role in the execution of DNA damage-induced apoptosis...
- In vitro studies of endophytic fungi from Tripterygium wilfordii with anti-proliferative activity on human peripheral blood mononuclear cellsD Siva Sundara Kumar
Department of Ecology and Biodiversity, Centre for Research in Fungal Diversity, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 94:295-300. 2004..A and C, Pestalotiopsis suffocata, Morphotype sp. 4 and 5 show a much higher cytotoxic effects on PBMC. Our results indicate that some fungal extracts contain significant amount of immunomodulatory principles...
- Preparative isolation and purification of chuanxiongzine from the medicinal plant Ligusticum chuanxiong by high-speed counter-current chromatographyHua Bin Li
Department of Botany, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Chromatogr A 1047:249-53. 2004..5 mg chuanxiongzine at 96.8% purity from 300 mg of the crude extract (4.2% chuanxiongzine) with the recovery of 91% in a one-step separation...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonists promote TRAIL-induced apoptosis by reducing survivin levels via cyclin D3 repression and cell cycle arrestMeiling Lu
Cell Death Regulation Laboratory, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 280:6742-51. 2005..We also demonstrate for the first time that TZDs promote TRAIL-induced apoptosis of breast cancer in vivo, suggesting that this combination may be an effective therapy for cancer...
- The small heat shock protein alpha B-crystallin is a novel inhibitor of TRAIL-induced apoptosis that suppresses the activation of caspase-3Merideth C Kamradt
Cell Death Regulation Laboratory, Department of Medicine and Cell, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611
J Biol Chem 280:11059-66. 2005..Moreover, these results demonstrate that targeted inhibition of alpha B-crystallin promotes TRAIL-induced apoptosis, thereby suggesting a novel strategy to overcome TRAIL resistance in cancer...
- Antiproliferation effects of ponicidin on human myeloid leukemia cells in vitroJia Jun Liu
Sun Yat Sen University, Department of Haematology and Oncology, The Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Tian He Road 600, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510630, PR China
Oncol Rep 13:653-7. 2005..The results suggest that ponicidin may serve as a potential therapeutic agent for leukemia...
- Simultaneous separation and purification of five bioactive coumarins from the Chinese medicinal plant Cnidium monnieri by high-speed counter-current chromatographyHua Bin Li
Department of Botany, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
J Sep Sci 28:268-72. 2005..The five relatively pure coumarins were obtained from 500 mg of the crude extract in a single run. Their purities were 90.6-98.9%, and the recoveries were 85.7-94.2%...
- Antiproliferative activities of parthenolide and golden feverfew extract against three human cancer cell linesChangqing Wu
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina 29634, USA
J Med Food 9:55-61. 2006..The results revealed that apigenin and luteolin might have moderate to weak synergistic effects with parthenolide on the inhibition of cancer cell growth of Hs605T, MCF-7, and SiHa...
- Reductions in levels of the Alzheimer's amyloid beta peptide after oral administration of ginsenosidesFeng Chen
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Birdsall Bldg Rm 327, 4500 San Pablo Rd, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
FASEB J 20:1269-71. 2006..The results indicate that ginseng itself, or purified ginsenosides, may have similarly useful effects in human disease...
- Preparative isolation and purification of phillyrin from the medicinal plant Forsythia suspensa by high-speed counter-current chromatographyHua Bin Li
Department of Botany, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
J Chromatogr A 1083:102-5. 2005..The method yielded 5.6 mg phillyrin at 98.6% purity from 500 mg of the crude extract (1.2% phillyrin) with the recovery of 92% in a one-step separation...