Affiliation: Monash University
- Patient deterioration simulation experiences: impact on teaching and learningPenny Buykx
School of Rural Health, Monash University, PO Box 666 Bendigo, Victoria 3552, Australia
Collegian 19:125-9. 2012..The model has been tested in three different settings: it is highly acceptable to learners, adaptable to different training needs, and shows promise in improving actual clinical performance...
- Clinical decision-making: midwifery students' recognition of, and response to, post partum haemorrhage in the simulation environmentJulie Scholes
Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Research, University of Brighton, Mayfield House, Village Way, Brighton, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12:19. 2012..Although this figure is far higher in developing countries, the risk to maternal wellbeing and child health problem means that all midwives need to remain vigilant and respond appropriately to early signs of maternal deterioration...
- How do small rural primary health care services sustain themselves in a constantly changing health system environment?Penny Buykx
Monash University School of Rural Health, PO Box 666, Bendigo, VIC 3552, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 12:81. 2012..The ability to sustain comprehensive primary health care (PHC) services in the face of change is crucial to the health of rural communities. This paper illustrates how one service has proactively managed change to remain sustainable...
- 'Making evidence count': a framework to monitor the impact of health services researchPenny Buykx
School of Rural Health, Monash University, Bendigo and Churchill, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 20:51-8. 2012..The objective of this study is to develop a framework to measure the impact of primary health care research, describe how it could be used and propose a method for its validation...
- Systematic review of effective retention incentives for health workers in rural and remote areas: towards evidence-based policyPenny Buykx
School of Rural Health, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 18:102-9. 2010..Poor retention of health workers is a significant problem in rural and remote areas, with negative consequences for both health services and patient care...
- Characteristics of medication overdose presentations to the ED: how do they differ from illicit drug overdose and self-harm cases?Penny Buykx
Monash University School of Rural Health, Bendigo Central Post Office, VIC 3552, Australia
Emerg Med J 27:499-503. 2010....
- Medications used in overdose and how they are acquired - an investigation of cases attending an inner Melbourne emergency departmentPenny Buykx
Monash University School of Rural Health, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 34:401-4. 2010..This study aimed to investigate which categories of medication are most commonly implicated in overdose, to compare this information with prescription data and to explore how the medications used in overdoses are typically acquired...
- FIRST2ACT: educating nurses to identify patient deterioration - a theory-based model for best practice simulation educationPenny Buykx
School of Rural Health Monash University, PO Box 666 Bendigo Victoria 3552, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 31:687-93. 2011..This evidence-based model should be considered for both undergraduate and post-registration education programs...
- The FIRST²ACT simulation program improves nursing practice in a rural Australian hospitalLeigh Kinsman
School of Rural Health, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 20:270-4. 2012....
- Study protocol: Evaluating the impact of a rural Australian primary health care service on rural healthRachel Tham
Monash University School of Rural Health, PO Box 666, Bendigo Victoria 3552, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 11:52. 2011....
- Do clinical pathways enhance access to evidence-based acute myocardial infarction treatment in rural emergency departments?Leigh D Kinsman
APHCRI Centre of Research Excellence in Rural and Remote Primary Health Care, School of Rural Health School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University School of Public Health, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 20:59-66. 2012..The objective of this study is to measure the impact of a five-step implementation process for an acute myocardial infarction (AMI) clinical pathway (CPW) on thrombolytic administration in rural emergency departments...
- Managing the deteriorating patient in a simulated environment: nursing students' knowledge, skill and situation awarenessSimon Cooper
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Monash University, Gippsland Campus, Churchill, Vic, Australia
J Clin Nurs 19:2309-18. 2010..To examine, in a simulated environment, the ability of final-year nursing students to assess, identify and respond to patients either deteriorating or at risk of deterioration...
- Evaluating the impact of sustainable comprehensive primary health care on rural healthRachel Tham
Monash University School of Rural Health, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 18:166-72. 2010..To develop a conceptual framework for monitoring the relationship between health services and health outcomes in rural Australia...
- Simulation: can it eliminate failure to rescue?Simon Cooper
Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Nurs Times 107:18-20. 2011....
- A cluster randomised trial to assess the impact of clinical pathways on AMI management in rural Australian emergency departmentsLeigh D Kinsman
School of Rural Health, Monash University, Vic, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 9:83. 2009....