David J Castle
Affiliation: Mental Health Research Institute
- An update on body dysmorphic disorderDavid J Castle
Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria and The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 19:74-8. 2006..The present review provides an update on current research into body dysmorphic disorder...
- Aging and cosmetic enhancementRoberta Honigman
Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Clin Interv Aging 1:115-9. 2006..We pay attention to psychosocial aspects of response to such cosmetic procedures, both in terms of outcome and with respect to risk factors for a poor outcome...
- Does cosmetic surgery improve psychosocial wellbeing?David J Castle
Mental Health Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic
Med J Aust 176:601-4. 2002..Some people are never satisfied with cosmetic interventions, despite good procedural outcomes. Some of these have a psychiatric disorder called "body dysmorphic disorder"...
- Comprehensive care for people with schizophrenia living in the communityDavid J Castle
Mental Health Research Institute, Parkville, Vic
Med J Aust 178:S45-6. 2003
- Obsessive-compulsive spectrum of disorders: a defensible construct?David J Castle
Mental Health Research Institute and University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:114-20. 2006..To explore critically whether there is a robust basis for the concept of an obsessive-compulsive (OC) spectrum of disorders, and if so, which disorders should be included...
- Development of clinical guidelines for the pharmacological management of behavioural disturbance and aggression in people with psychosisDavid Castle
Mental Health Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 13:247-52. 2005..To describe the process underpinning the development of clinical guidelines for the management of behavioural disturbance in psychosis...
- Correlates of dysmorphic concern in people seeking cosmetic enhancementDavid J Castle
Mental Health Research Institute and Universiity of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:439-44. 2004..To determine the clinical correlates of dysmorphic concern in persons seeking cosmetic enhancement from cosmetic physicians...
- The effect of mindfulness training prior to total joint arthroplasty on post-operative pain and physical function: study protocol for a randomised controlled trialMichelle M Dowsey
The University of Melbourne Department of Surgery, St, Vincent s Hospital Melbourne, 35 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy 3065, Victoria, Australia
Trials 15:208. 2014..This study is the first of its kind and will provide a greater understanding of the role of a mental health enhancement program on the physical recovery of total joint arthroplasty patients...
- Treating comorbid substance use disorders in schizophreniaDan I Lubman
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Int Rev Psychiatry 22:191-201. 2010..To review the literature on pharmacological and psychosocial treatment approaches for people with schizophrenia and comorbid substance use disorder(s) (SUD). Method: Selective literature review...
- Determining the efficacy and tolerance of quetiapine extended release for the management of psychosis and accompanying acute behavioral disturbance in adult acute psychiatryStuart J Lee
Monash Alfred Psychiatry Research Centre, Alfred Health and Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ann Clin Psychiatry 24:271-8. 2012..This study was conducted to explore the efficacy and tolerability of quetiapine extended release (XR) to treat psychosis and accompanying acute behavioral disturbance in hospitalized psychiatric patients...
- Current visual scanpath research: a review of investigations into the psychotic, anxiety, and mood disordersWei Lin Toh
Department of Behavioural Science and Psychiatry, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Compr Psychiatry 52:567-79. 2011..Future studies should also look toward applying similar techniques to related disorders as well as conducting parallel neuroimaging investigations to elucidate potential neurobiological correlates...
- A review of psychosocial outcomes for patients seeking cosmetic surgeryRoberta J Honigman
School of Social Work and the Mental Health Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1229-37. 2004..The authors conclude that although most people appear satisfied with the outcome of cosmetic surgical procedures, some are not, and attempts should be made to screen for such individuals in cosmetic surgery settings...
- Substance use and psychosisBrendan Pawsey
Collaborative Therapy Unit, Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 35:110-2. 2006..The use of alcohol and illicit substances is high among people with mental illnesses. Clinicians experience a range of complex issues while treating such patients...
- Body dysmorphic disorder--a fear of imagined uglinessDon E Jefferys
Associate Department of Psychiatry, Austin Hospital, University of Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 32:722-5. 2003..Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a distressing and impairing illness characterised by an intense time consuming preoccupation with an imagined or slight defect in appearance of a body part or parts...
- The Dysmorphic Concern Questionnaire: A screening measure for body dysmorphic disorderSerafino G Mancuso
Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 44:535-42. 2010..The purpose of this study was to investigate the use of the Dysmorphic Concerns Questionnaire (DCQ) as a screening measure for body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and to derive DCQ cutoff scores to facilitate the screening procedure...
- Why are community psychiatry services in Australia doing it so hard?Bruce S Singh
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 187:410-2. 2007..Better cooperation between state and federal governments is needed to effect real change...
- Using theories of delusion formation to explain abnormal beliefs in Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)Susan L Rossell
Brain and Psychological Sciences Research Centre, Faculty of Life and Social Sciences, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia Monash Alfred Psychiatry research centre MAPrc, The Alfred Hospital and Monash University Central Clinical School, 607 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne, Australia Departments of Behavioural Science and Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia Department of Psychiatry, St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Psychiatry Res 215:599-605. 2014..There was only a trend finding of impaired performance on perceptual processing tasks in BDD. The findings suggest that the delusional beliefs in BDD may be explained by impaired semantic processing. ..
- Systematic review of the efficacy of pre-surgical mind-body based therapies on post-operative outcome measuresElizabeth A Nelson
The University of Melbourne, Department of Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Complement Ther Med 21:697-711. 2013..The objective of this paper was to evaluate the efficacy of pre-operative mind-body based interventions on post-operative outcome measures amongst elective surgical patients...
- Mindfulness training: an adjunctive role in the management of chronic illness?Kaveh Monshat
St Vincent s Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 196:569-71. 2012....
- The role of psychotherapy in bipolar disorderSue D Lauder
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences Barwon Health, University of Melbourne, Geelong, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 193:S31-5. 2010..Evidence to date supports the use of adjunctive psychosocial interventions in the management of bipolar disorder...
- Layer upon layer: thermoregulation in schizophreniaTerence W H Chong
Early Psychosis Prevention and Intervention Centre, ORYGEN Youth Health and Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Schizophr Res 69:149-57. 2004..This could further our understanding of the mechanism underlying the syndrome of schizophrenia...
- Anxiety and substance use: layers of complexityDavid J Castle
St Vincent s Health and The University of Melbourne, L2 46 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Victoria, 3065, Australia
Expert Rev Neurother 8:493-501. 2008..Treatment options are presented, and the evidence base for various psychosocial and biological treatments are reviewed...
- Antipsychotic treatment in obsessive-compulsive disorder: a literature reviewRichard J Keuneman
Inner West Mental Health Service, The Royal Melbourne Hospital and Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:336-43. 2005....
- Management of mental health patients attending Victorian emergency departmentsJonathan C Knott
Emergency Medicine Research Unit, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 41:759-67. 2007..To evaluate the management of mental health presentations to Victorian emergency departments...
- A randomized controlled trial of relapse prevention therapy for first-episode psychosis patientsJohn F M Gleeson
Department of Psychology, Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, 3010, Australia
J Clin Psychiatry 70:477-86. 2009..This study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of a psychosocial treatment designed to prevent the second episode of psychosis compared with standardized early psychosis care...
- Pharmacological approaches to the management of schizophreniaTimothy J R Lambert
Office for Psychiatric Evaluation and Educational Newmedia, Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Vic
Med J Aust 178:S57-61. 2003..The choice of particular agents for individual patients requires a balancing of efficacy and side effects. Medication is only one element of what should be an individualised comprehensive treatment plan for people with schizophrenia...
- Trends in antipsychotic prescribing practices in an urban community mental health clinicKaveh Monshat
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, St Vincent s Hospital, Fitzroy, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 18:238-41. 2010..This study tracked changes in patient diagnostic profiles and compared antipsychotic prescribing patterns for patients managed by a continuing care team over a 2.25-year period...
- To be Superman--the male looks obsessionNatalie Knoesen
St Vincent s Mental Health and the Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 38:131-3. 2009....
- Is there a role for music therapy in the care of the severely mentally ill?Denise Grocke
National Music Therapy Research Unit, Faculty of Music, University of Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 16:442-5. 2008..With the shift to community-based care, contemporary music therapy practice for the severely mentally ill is reappraised alongside the principles of the recovery model...
- A clinical monitoring system for clozapineDavid Castle
St Vincent s Hospital, Fitzroy, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 14:156-68. 2006..To describe a framework for the initiation and ongoing monitoring of patients on clozapine, and detail support materials that can be used in clinical settings, including general practice, to support this process...
- The pharmacological management of behavioural disturbance in psychosis: a naturalistic studyJeffrey Daniel
Secure Extended Care Unit, Austin Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 15:380-4. 2007..The aim of the study was to compare the efficacy of atypical and typical anti-psychotics in treating behavioural disturbance in people with psychotic disorders, in a naturalistic setting...
- Monitoring the safe use of clozapine: a consensus view from Victoria, AustraliaMichael Berk
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, Barwon Health, The University of Melbourne, Geelong, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
CNS Drugs 21:117-27. 2007....
- Do women express and experience psychosis differently from men? Epidemiological evidence from the Australian National Study of Low Prevalence (Psychotic) DisordersVera A Morgan
School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 42:74-82. 2008..To examine how women differ from men in their expression and experience of psychosis...
- Body dysmorphic disorderDavid J Castle
St Vincent s Hospital and The University of Melbourne, Level 2, 46 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy 3065, Australia
Psychiatr Clin North Am 29:521-38. 2006..Its relationship to other psychiatric disorders requires clarification. Also needed is a much better understanding of the best treatments to adopt should conventional approaches (eg, SRIs, CBT) fail...
- Attitudes towards cosmetic surgery among university studentsDavid J Castle
Med J Aust 187:254. 2007
- Investigation of target plasma concentration-effect relationships for olanzapine in schizophreniaLinda Fellows
Departments of Pharmacy and Psychiatry, Graylands Selby Lemnos and Special Care Health Services, Mt Claremont, Western Australia, Australia
Ther Drug Monit 25:682-9. 2003..We suggest that plasma olanzapine monitoring can be used for dose-response optimization, but only to complement the normal clinical evaluation process...
- A statewide evaluation system for early psychosisNeil J Preston
Early Intervention Psychosis Program, Directorate of Mental Health, Fremantle Hospital and Health Service, PO Box 480, Fremantle, Western Australia 6959, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 37:421-8. 2003..We describe patients in terms of symptoms, substance use, social functioning and family burden, and examine the effectiveness of treatment programmes...
- Gender differences in premorbid adjustment of patients with first episode psychosisNeil J Preston
Mental Health Directorate, Fremantle Hospital and Health Service, P O Box 480, WA 6160, Australia
Schizophr Res 55:285-90. 2002....