Affiliation: Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health
- Monitoring of human immunodeficiency virus infection in resource-constrained countriesSuzanne Crowe
Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, National Centre for HIV Virology Research, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 37:S25-35. 2003..Other surrogate markers, such as beta2-microglobulin, are not suitable for routine monitoring of HIV infection. This review discusses the above assays and their role in addition to clinical monitoring in resource-constrained countries...
- Pathogenicity and immunogenicity of attenuated, nef-deleted HIV-1 strains in vivoPaul R Gorry
Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Retrovirology 4:66. 2007....
- The macrophage: the intersection between HIV infection and atherosclerosisSuzanne M Crowe
Centre for Virology, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne 3004, Australia
J Leukoc Biol 87:589-98. 2010..In this review, the central role of monocytes/macrophages in HIV-related CAD and the importance of inflammation and cholesterol metabolism are discussed...
- The contribution of monocyte infection and trafficking to viral persistence, and maintenance of the viral reservoir in HIV infectionSuzanne Crowe
AIDS Pathogenesis and Clinical Research Programme, The Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research nad Public Health, Melbourne, Australia
J Leukoc Biol 74:635-41. 2003..This review provides an evaluation of the contribution of monocytes to HIV-1 persistence and the HIV-1 reservoir, essential for the effective design of therapeutic eradication strategies...
- Biological determinants of immune reconstitution in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy: the role of interleukin 7 and interleukin 7 receptor α and microbial translocationReena Rajasuriar
Department of Medicine, Monash University, Burnet Institute, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
J Infect Dis 202:1254-64. 2010..We hypothesized that residual immune activation and polymorphisms in the interleukin 7 (IL-7) receptor α (IL-7Rα) gene were important for immune recovery...
- Culture of HIV in monocytes and macrophagesSuzanne Crowe
Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Curr Protoc Immunol . 2004..The unit also provides methods for expanding M-tropic primary isolates of HIV and determining the 50% tissue culture infectious dose (TCID50) of HIV stocks...
- The raft-promoting property of virion-associated cholesterol, but not the presence of virion-associated Brij 98 rafts, is a determinant of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectivityShahan Campbell
Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Cnr Punt and Commercial Roads, Melbourne 3004, Victoria, Australia
J Virol 78:10556-65. 2004..Our data provide the first direct assessment of virion-associated Brij 98 rafts in retroviral replication and illustrate the importance of the raft-promoting property of virion-associated cholesterol in HIV-1 replication...
- Prevalence and characterization of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus mutations in HIV-HBV co-infected individualsLouise Cooley
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AIDS 17:1649-57. 2003....
- Limited evolution of HIV antiretroviral drug resistance-associated mutations during the performance of drug resistance testingChris Birch
Victorian Infectioud Diseases Reference Laboratory, North Melbourne, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:57-61. 2003..02), however. In general, our results suggest that patients should continue current therapy until test results are available. A few patients would be expected to gain ARV drug-associated resistance mutations during this time, however...
- An inexpensive, simple, and manual method of CD4 T-cell quantitation in HIV-infected individuals for use in developing countriesPachamuthu Balakrishnan
YRG Centre for AIDS Research and Education, Voluntary Health Services, Taramani, Chennai, India
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:1006-10. 2004..Hence, the cytosphere assay can be an alternate to flow cytometry for the estimation of CD4+ T-lymphocyte counts, especially in resource-poor settings of developing countries, for monitoring HIV progression and response to therapy...