Genomes and Genes
C L Cherry
Affiliation: Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health
- Hepatitis C seropositivity is not a risk factor for sensory neuropathy among patients with HIVC L Cherry
The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Neurology 74:1538-42. 2010..Hepatitis C (HCV) coinfection is often cited as an HIV-SN risk factor, but data to support this are lacking. This collaboration aimed to examine the association between HCV serostatus and SN risk among ambulatory HIV-positive patients...
- A report on the effect of commencing enfuvirtide on peripheral neuropathyCatherine L Cherry
Infectious Diseases Unit, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1027-30. 2008..We observed no clear evidence of neurotoxicity from enfuvirtide in this population...
- Tissue-specific associations between mitochondrial DNA levels and current treatment status in HIV-infected individualsCatherine L Cherry
Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:435-40. 2006..This study examined mtDNA levels in matched samples of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and subcutaneous fat from a large Australian cohort to examine treatment, clinical, and demographic associations with mtDNA depletion...
- Phase 1 single dose studies to optimize the pharmacokinetics of DG17, a novel HIV-protease inhibitor pro-drug, using sodium bicarbonate and ritonavirCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Curr HIV Res 6:272-5. 2008..No significant adverse events occurred. Single dose DG17 is safe and best administered in a manner preventing gastric acid degradation and with low-dose ritonavir...
- Cytokine genotype suggests a role for inflammation in nucleoside analog-associated sensory neuropathy (NRTI-SN) and predicts an individual's NRTI-SN riskCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:117-23. 2008..In addition to patient height, cytokine genotype influenced NRTI-SN risk following dNRTI exposure, suggesting inflammation contributes to NRTI-SN...
- Ubisol-Aqua: coenzyme Q10 prevents antiretroviral toxic neuropathy in an in vitro modelCatherine L Cherry
Centre for Virology, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Curr HIV Res 8:232-9. 2010..Acetyl L-carnitine (ALC) and co-enzyme Q(10) are proposed as neuropathy treatments, but evidence to support these is limited...
- Age and height predict neuropathy risk in patients with HIV prescribed stavudineC L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Monash University, and The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Neurology 73:315-20. 2009..We therefore aimed to identify factors predictive of neuropathy risk before antiretroviral use...
- Measuring and monitoring apoptosis and drug toxicity in HIV patients by ligation-mediated polymerase chain reactionDavid J Hooker
Centre for Virology, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Cell Mol Med 13:948-58. 2009..8 for each). Together these data demonstrate that LM-PCR is a robust and reliable quantifier of apoptosis with potential for basic science and clinical investigation...
- Nucleoside analogues and HIV: the combined cost to mitochondriaCatherine L Cherry
Department of Medicine, Monash University and Infectious Diseases Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoira, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:1091-3. 2003
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in CD4+ lymphocytes from stavudine-treated HIV patientsLloyd Einsiedel
Centre for Virology, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Australia
Mitochondrion 10:534-9. 2010..Therapy with stavudine results in impaired mitochondrial function in CD4+PBLs that does not appear to be due to reduced mitochondrial volume or DNA content and cannot be attributed to infection with HIV...
- Adverse effects of antiretroviral drugs on HIV-1-infected and -uninfected human monocyte-derived macrophagesRula Azzam
AIDS Pathogenesis and Clinical Research Program, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:19-28. 2006..We demonstrate that indinavir augments C'MP by uninfected MDMs, but not HIV-1-infected MDMs. This study provides additional understanding on the effects of commonly used antiretroviral drugs on cellular immune function...
- Mitochondrial toxicity of nucleoside analogues: mechanism, monitoring and managementCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, GPO Box 2284, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Sex Health 2:1-11. 2005..Micronutrients may have a role, but further study is needed to clarify optimal prevention as well as monitoring strategies...
- Nucleoside analogues and neuropathy in the era of HAARTCatherine L Cherry
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, 3181 Prahran, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
J Clin Virol 26:195-207. 2003..A clinically identical SN may also occur as a consequence of exposure to some HIV treatments. In this setting, impaired mitochondrial function is thought to play a role in the development of neurological dysfunction...
- Exposure to dideoxynucleosides is reflected in lowered mitochondrial DNA in subcutaneous fatCatherine L Cherry
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:271-7. 2002..A reliable and valid laboratory test to detect this is not yet available. The objective of this study was to correlate tissue mtDNA quantification in HIV-infected patients with exposure to nucleoside analogs...
- The effects of exercise training on metabolic and morphological outcomes for people living with HIV: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsS Fillipas
Physiotherapy Department, The Alfred, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
HIV Clin Trials 11:270-82. 2010..to determine the effects of exercise on metabolic and morphological outcomes among people with HIV using a systematic search strategy of randomized, controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Evaluation of a clinical screening tool for HIV-associated sensory neuropathiesCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Neurology 65:1778-81. 2005..To evaluate the performance characteristics of a brief clinical neuropathy screening tool for use in sensory neuropathies complicating HIV infection...
- Increased adipocyte apoptosis in lipoatrophy improves within 48 weeks of switching patient therapy from Stavudine to abacavir or zidovudineCatherine L Cherry
Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:263-7. 2005..We assessed the degree and reversibility of adipocyte apoptosis in patients with lipoatrophy before and 48 weeks after substituting abacavir or zidovudine for stavudine...
- Quantification of mitochondrial DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and subcutaneous fat using real-time polymerase chain reactionM E Gahan
Infectious Diseases Unit, Alfred Hospital, Department of Medicine Monash University, Prahran, Vic. 3181, Australia
J Clin Virol 22:241-7. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: From the work carried out it can be concluded that firstly, the real-time PCR assay generates consistent and reproducible results, and secondly that mtDNA can be extracted and quantified from PBMC and subcutaneous fat...
- Evaluation of the Cavidi ExaVir Load assay (version 3) for plasma human immunodeficiency virus type 1 load monitoringVicki L Greengrass
Clinical Research Laboratory, Centre for Virology, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, 85 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 47:3011-3. 2009..85; n = 202). The version 3 reverse transcriptase assay shows improved sensitivity compared to the previous version...
- The international physical activity questionnaire overestimates moderate and vigorous physical activity in HIV-infected individuals compared with accelerometrySoula Fillipas
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 21:173-81. 2010..08-502.6 minutes) for vigorous activity. The IPAQ correlated with accelerometry, but substantial overreporting occurred. The tool may be useful in screening physical activity but should not be used to determine precise levels...
- A six-month, supervised, aerobic and resistance exercise program improves self-efficacy in people with human immunodeficiency virus: a randomised controlled trialSoula Fillipas
Physiotherapy, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Aust J Physiother 52:185-90. 2006..What is the effect of a six-month, supervised, aerobic and resistance exercise program on self-efficacy in men living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)?..
- Can we predict neuropathy risk before stavudine prescription in a resource-limited setting?Jacquita S Affandi
School of Surgery and Pathology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1281-4. 2008..These data suggest that a simple algorithm based on patient age, height, and TNF genotype could be used to predict the individual's risk of symptomatic neuropathy prior to prescription of d4T...
- HIV-associated sensory neuropathiesSanjay C Keswani
AIDS 16:2105-17. 2002
- Improvements in lipoatrophy, mitochondrial DNA levels and fat apoptosis after replacing stavudine with abacavir or zidovudineGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital bCase School of Medicine Center for AIDS Research, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 19:15-23. 2005..As apoptosis and dysfunction of electron transport chain (ETC) activities may underlie mitochondrial toxicity, these parameters were also evaluated...
- Assessment of precision and concordance of quantitative mitochondrial DNA assays: a collaborative international quality assurance studyEmma L Hammond
Centre for Clinical Immunology and Biomedical Statistics, 2nd Floor, North Block, Royal Perth Hospital and Murdoch University, Australia
J Clin Virol 27:97-110. 2003..A number of international research groups have developed DNA quantitation assays in order to investigate the role of mitochondrial DNA depletion in anti-retroviral therapy-induced toxicities...