Affiliation: James Cook University
- Tick paralysis in spectacled flying-foxes (Pteropus conspicillatus) in North Queensland, Australia: impact of a ground-dwelling ectoparasite finding an arboreal hostPetra G Buettner
School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia Tropical Health Solutions Pty Ltd, Idalia, Townsville, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e73078. 2013..mauritianum. This initial analysis justifies further exploration of how an exotic plant might alter the relationship between a formerly ground-dwelling parasite and an arboreal host. ..
- A community-based study of enduring eating features in young womenPhillipa J Hay
School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney, Penrith, NSW 2751, Australia
Nutrients 4:413-24. 2012..Mental health related quality of life scores did not change but there were small improvements in psychological distress scores. The findings suggest little likelihood of spontaneous remission of ED problems in community women...
- Incidence rates of skin cancer in Townsville, AustraliaP G Buettner
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia
Int J Cancer 78:587-93. 1998..Site-specific incidence rates demonstrate that highly sun-exposed body sites are at high risk of developing skin cancer and provide, therefore, strong indirect evidence for the causal relationship between sun exposure and skin cancer...
- Geographical variation of incidence of cutaneous melanoma in QueenslandPetra Gertraud Buettner
Skin Cancer Research Group, School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine, and Rehabilitation Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 16:269-77. 2008..The study investigated geographical differences and time trends of incidence rate and body site distribution of cutaneous melanoma in Queensland...
- An intervention to discourage Australian mothers from unnecessarily exposing their babies to the sun for therapeutic reasonsSimone Harrison
Skin Cancer Research Group, Anton Brienl Centre, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville QLD 4811, Australia
J Trop Pediatr 59:403-6. 2013..6% vs. 2%; p = 0.026). This educational intervention should be used to educate parents, health professionals and students. ..
- School sun-protection policies-does being SunSmart make a difference?Denise Turner
Skin Cancer Research Group, School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sciences, Anton Breinl Centre for Health Systems Strengthening, Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia Tropical Health Solutions Pty Ltd, Idalia and School of Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Health Educ Res 29:367-77. 2014..These schools may require further support and advice to improve the comprehensive of their policies and incentives to continually implement them to achieve and maintain exemplary sun-protection compliance. ..
- Changes in the pattern of sun exposure and sun protection in young children from tropical AustraliaAnnika Smith
Skin Cancer Research Group, School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
J Am Acad Dermatol 68:774-83. 2013..Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer globally. Lifetime risk is associated with childhood sun exposure...
- Minor skin excisions in general practice in North QueenslandClare Heal
General Practice and Rural Medicine, James Cook University, Queensland, Australia
Aust Fam Physician 35:825-8. 2006..To describe the demographics of patients presenting with skin cancer to general practitioners in rural North Queensland, the sites from which skin cancers are removed, and their histology...
- Does being a "SunSmart School" influence hat-wearing compliance? An ecological study of hat-wearing rates at Australian primary schools in a region of high sun exposureDenise Turner
Skin Cancer Research Group, School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sciences, Anton Breinl Centre for Health Systems Strengthening, Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Qld 4811, Australia Electronic address
Prev Med 60:107-14. 2014..Childhood sun exposure is an important risk factor for skin cancer. Anecdotal evidence suggests that hats are under-utilized by Australian primary school students...
- A randomized controlled trial undertaken to test a nurse-led weight management and exercise intervention designed for people with serious mental illness who take second generation antipsychoticsKim Usher
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Nutrition, James Cook University, Cairns, Queensland, Australia
J Adv Nurs 69:1539-48. 2013..To test the effect of a nurse-led intervention on weight gain in people with serious mental illness prescribed and taking second generation antipsychotic medication...
- Application of plastic wrap to improve temperatures in infants born less than 30 weeks gestation: a randomized controlled trialJacqueline Smith
HDipNeoIntCare, Townsville Hospital in Australia, Magnetic Island, Queensland, Australia
Neonatal Netw 32:235-45. 2013....
- "Out of our control": living through Cyclone YasiCindy Woods
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Nutrition, James Cook University, Cairns, Australia
Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being 9:19821. 2014..This highlights the central role of others during the recovery process and underlines the importance of promoting and facilitating social support to aid recovery post disaster. ..
- Burden experienced by community health volunteers in Taiwan: a surveyYueh Mei Gau
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Nutrition, James Cook University, Townsville, Qld 4810, Australia
BMC Public Health 13:491. 2013..Our study adds to international research regarding the burden experienced by volunteers. This project is the first to assess how community health volunteers in Taiwan experience burden...
- Tobacco use and measuring nicotine dependence among urban Indigenous pregnant womenKathryn S Panaretto
Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council, Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Population Health Hub, Townsville, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 191:554-7. 2009....