Marie L Cooke
Affiliation: Griffith University
- The effect of aromatherapy massage with music on the stress and anxiety levels of emergency nurses: comparison between summer and winterMarie Cooke
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Research Centre for Clinical Practice Innovation, Griffith University, QLD, Australia
J Clin Nurs 16:1695-703. 2007..The study also aimed to compare any differences in results between a summer and winter 12-week massage plan...
- A randomized controlled trial exploring the effect of music on agitated behaviours and anxiety in older people with dementiaMarie L Cooke
Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Nathan, QLD, Australia
Aging Ment Health 14:905-16. 2010....
- Evaluation of an education intervention to implement a capability model of dementia careMarie Cooke
Griffith University, Australia
Dementia (London) 13:613-25. 2014..The paper also acknowledges the challenges involved in sustaining a practice change through an educational intervention. ..
- The effect of foot massage on long-term care staff working with older people with dementia: a pilot, parallel group, randomized controlled trialWendy Moyle
Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Griffith University, 170 Kessels Road, Nathan, Queensland 4111
BMC Nurs 12:5. 2013..Massage has been shown to be one way in which nurses' stress can be reduced. However, no research has been conducted to explore its effectiveness for care staff working with older people with dementia in long-term care facilities...
- A randomised controlled trial of the use of aromatherapy and hand massage to reduce disruptive behaviour in people with dementiaChieh Yu Fu
Centre for Health Practice Innovation, Brisbane, QLD 4111, Australia
BMC Complement Altern Med 13:165. 2013..The aim is to investigate the effect of aromatherapy (3% lavender oil spray) with and without hand massage on disruptive behaviour in people with dementia living in long-term care...
- Complementary and alternative medicine and critical care nurses: a survey of knowledge and practices in AustraliaMarie Cooke
Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Health Science Building N48, Griffith University, Nathan Campus, Nathan, QLD, 4111, Australia
Aust Crit Care 25:213-23. 2012..Australian critical care nurses' knowledge of complementary and alternative medicine is unknown...
- Music and its effect on anxiety in short waiting periods: a critical appraisalMarie Cooke
Research Centre for Clinical Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland 4111, Australia
J Clin Nurs 14:145-55. 2005....
- Application and student evaluation of a Clinical Progression Portfolio: a pilotMarie Cooke
Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Nathan, QLD 4111, Australia
Nurse Educ Pract 10:227-32. 2010..Overall, students reported that the CPP was a useful learning and communication tool as it provided them direction in how they might maximise opportunities to address their learning needs...
- The effect of music on discomfort experienced by intensive care unit patients during turning: a randomized cross-over studyMarie Cooke
Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 16:125-31. 2010..Given previous studies have identified turning as painful, current results are promising and it might be useful to determine if this is widespread...
- A randomized controlled trial exploring the effect of music on quality of life and depression in older people with dementiaMarie Cooke
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Nathan, Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Nathan, QLD, Australia
J Health Psychol 15:765-76. 2010..129, p < .01). Findings suggest music and reading activities can improve self-esteem, belonging and depression in some older people with dementia...
- The first breastfeed: a content analysis of midwifery textbooksMarie Cooke
Faculty of Nursing and Health, Griffith University, Kessels Road, Nathan, Brisbane, Q 4111 Australia
Breastfeed Rev 11:5-11. 2003..Further research to promote midwives access to evidence-based research for effective midwifery practice in relation to breastfeeding initiation is required...
- Promoting reflection in mental health nursing practice: a case illustration using problem-based learningMarie Cooke
School of Nursing, Nathan Campus, Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 14:243-8. 2005..Reflective processes are more meaningful if the PBL package that students encounter represents real clinical scenarios with comprehensive resource materials...
- The effect of music on preoperative anxiety in day surgeryMarie Cooke
School of Nursing, Research Centre for Clinical Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia
J Adv Nurs 52:47-55. 2005..This paper reports a study to test the hypothesis that day surgery patients who listen to music during their preoperative wait will have statistically significantly lower levels of anxiety than patients who receive routine care...
- Clinical Progression Portfolio: A resource for enhancing learning partnershipsMarie Cooke
Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Nathan Campus, Brisbane, Queensland 4111, Australia
Nurse Educ Pract 9:398-402. 2009..An expert reference group evaluation revealed that the CPP provided a framework for students to initiate and support their clinical learning in partnership with clinicians...
- Student evaluations of a year-long mentorship program: a quality improvement initiativeMary Ann van Eps
Staff Development, The Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 26:519-24. 2006..The benefits of mentorship were derived from a long term, supportive relationship with the same registered nurse who was committed to the student's professional development...
- Boosting morale and improving performance in the nursing settingPeta Stapleton
School of Nursing, Griffith University, Australia
J Nurs Manag 15:811-6. 2007..These include: role preparation for managers, understanding internal and external motivation, fostering internal motivation in nursing staff, and the importance of attitude when investing in relationships...
- Outcomes of a home-based pulmonary maintenance program for individuals with COPD: a pilot studyMarie Cooke
Deputy Head of School of Nursing and Midwifery, Nathan, Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, Griffith University, Nathan, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Contemp Nurse 34:85-97. 2009....
- The meaningful experiences of being a Registered Nurse (RN) BuddyRachel Walker
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith University, Nathan 4111, Queensland, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 28:760-7. 2008..From this, health service management and universities can initiate the process of creating a framework for preparing, supporting, assessing and educating the Buddy RN...
- An Australian study of midwives' breast-feeding knowledgeRuth M Cantrill
Faculty of Nursing and Health, Griffith University, Kessels Road, Nathan, 4305 Queensland, Australia
Midwifery 19:310-7. 2003..To investigate midwives' breast-feeding knowledge, assess associations between knowledge and role, and report on the validity and reliability of the Breast-feeding Knowledge Questionnaire for the Australian context...
- Evaluating a Web-enhanced bachelor of nursing curriculum: perspectives of third-year studentsDebra K Creedy
Research Centre for Clinical and Community Practice Innovation, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith Health, Griffith University, PMB 50 Gold Coast Mail Centre, Queensland 9726, Australia
J Nurs Educ 46:460-7. 2007..Students with good IT skills are more likely to perceive Web-enhanced material as useful...
- How midwives learn about breastfeedingRuth M Cantrill
School of Nursing, Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland
Aust J Midwifery 16:11-6. 2003..The development of national standards for course accreditation on lactation and infant feeding by ACMI, Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) and Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) would be a useful quality measure...
- Mentor evaluation of a year-long mentorship program: a quality improvement initiativeMary Ann van Eps
Research Centre for Clinical Practice Innovation, Griffth University, Brisbane, Australia
Collegian 13:26-30. 2006..Their vision and commitment to nursing was also evident in the perceived benefits of the program for the profession...
- Shrouds of silence: three women's stories of prenatal lossAnnette St John
Sunnybank Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aust J Adv Nurs 23:8-12. 2006..To give voice to the experiences of women who have suffered a prenatal loss prior to a full term pregnancy...
- Students' evaluation of problem-based learningMarie Cooke
School of Nursing, Griffith University, Nathan, QLD 4111, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 22:330-9. 2002..The paper also concludes that this type of learning was realistic, fun and interesting for students. These findings are important for nurse educators, particularly those involved in curriculum or subject design and implementation...
- A qualitative study of the experience of oral cancer among Taiwanese menTsun Wen Hu
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 15:326-33. 2009..Increasing nurses' understanding of the experiential aspects of oral cancer in this population is required if nurses are to develop successful health promotion programmes and nursing interventions to meet these patients' needs...
- Midwives' knowledge of newborn feeding ability and reported practice managing the first breastfeedRuth Cantrill
Breastfeed Rev 12:25-33. 2004..Education of midwives so they can optimally facilitate the first breastfeed is required to improve breastfeeding initiation rates...
- Developing a research-active clinical environment within the emergency department: a case studyKerri Holzhauser
Nursing Practice Development Unit, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, QLD 4102, Australia
J Prof Nurs 24:36-41. 2008..An example of the application of the visiting scholar program within an emergency department setting illustrates positive research outcomes for both clinical staff and academic scholars...