Affiliation: Flinders University
- Comparing the effects of COX and non-COX-inhibiting NSAIDs on enhancement of apoptosis and inhibition of aberrant crypt foci formation in a rat colorectal cancer modelJonathan E Martin
Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
Anticancer Res 33:3581-8. 2013..01), but sulindac was more potent in inhibition of large ACF, p<0.05. COX-inhibiting sulindac achieved the greatest protective effect. The greater safety profile of Rac-FB should provide an advantage for chemoprevention. ..
- Combination of selenium and green tea improves the efficacy of chemoprevention in a rat colorectal cancer model by modulating genetic and epigenetic biomarkersYing Hu
Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e64362. 2013..The preventive effect is associated with regulation of genetic and epigenetic biomarkers implicated in colonic carcinogenesis...
- Selenium-rich foods: a promising approach to colorectal cancer preventionYing Hu
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide 5042, Australia
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 13:165-72. 2012..Further clinical studies and development of tools for speciating Se in foods will enable progress to be made in determining desirable Se forms and foods with respect to providing safe and effective ways of reducing cancer risk...
- Sulindac corrects defective apoptosis and suppresses azoxymethane-induced colonic oncogenesis in p53 knockout miceYing Hu
Department of Medicine Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Int J Cancer 116:870-5. 2005..Sulindac is an effective chemopreventive agent in the presence of p53 dysfunction...
- The influence of selenium-enriched milk proteins and selenium yeast on plasma selenium levels and rectal selenoprotein gene expression in human subjectsYing Hu
Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Br J Nutr 106:572-82. 2011..Changes in rectal selenoproteins are not predicted by changes in plasma Se; dairy-Se effectively regulates the expression of several rectal selenoproteins of relevance to the risk for CRC...
- Selenium-enriched milk proteins and selenium yeast affect selenoprotein activity and expression differently in mouse colonYing Hu
Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park 5042, Australia
Br J Nutr 104:17-23. 2010....
- Detection of K-ras mutations in azoxymethane-induced aberrant crypt foci in mice using LNA-mediated real-time PCR clamping and mutant-specific probesYing Hu
Department of Medicine, Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Mutat Res 677:27-32. 2009..It is highly sensitive and can be applied to the detection of early genetic alterations in carcinogen-based animal models...
- Suppression of colorectal oncogenesis by selenium-enriched milk proteins: apoptosis and K-ras mutationsYing Hu
Department of Medicine, Flinders Cancer Control Alliance, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Cancer Res 68:4936-44. 2008..Suppression may be a consequence of enhanced apoptotic deletion of azoxymethane-induced DNA lesions and the subsequent reduction in frequency of K-ras mutations...
- The potential of sphingomyelin as a chemopreventive agent in AOM-induced colon cancer model: wild-type and p53+/- miceYing Hu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, Australia
Mol Nutr Food Res 52:558-66. 2008..Further investigation to understand the variable effect of SM in preventing CRC is warranted...
- Defective acute apoptotic response to genotoxic carcinogen in small intestine of APC(Min/+) mice is restored by sulindacYing Hu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Cancer Lett 248:234-44. 2007....
- Absence of acute apoptotic response to genotoxic carcinogens in p53-deficient mice is associated with increased susceptibility to azoxymethane-induced colon tumoursYing Hu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Int J Cancer 115:561-7. 2005..Subsequent studies are now warranted to test the converse, namely, that enhanced apoptotic response to carcinogen reduces risk for colorectal oncogenesis...
- Suppression of azoxymethane-induced colon cancer development in rats by dietary resistant starchRichard K Le Leu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University, Bedford Park, Australia
Cancer Biol Ther 6:1621-6. 2007..The protective effect of consumption of RS as dietary high-amylose cornstarch against colon cancer development appears to be related to active fermentation in the colon, particularly through production of butyrate...
- Inhibition by resistant starch of red meat-induced promutagenic adducts in mouse colonJean Winter
Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4:1920-8. 2011....
- Synbiotic intervention of Bifidobacterium lactis and resistant starch protects against colorectal cancer development in ratsRichard K Le Leu
Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, Flinders University, South Australia 5042, Australia
Carcinogenesis 31:246-51. 2010..lactis significantly protects against the development of CRC in the rat-azoxymethane model. Synbiotic combination of prebiotic and probiotic seems likely to be a superior preventive strategy to prebiotic alone...
- Effect of dietary resistant starch and protein on colonic fermentation and intestinal tumourigenesis in ratsRichard K Le Leu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, South Australia 5042, Australia
Carcinogenesis 28:240-5. 2007..These effects of RS not only protected against intestinal tumourigenesis but also ameliorated the tumour-enhancing effects of feeding indigestible protein...
- A synbiotic combination of resistant starch and Bifidobacterium lactis facilitates apoptotic deletion of carcinogen-damaged cells in rat colonRichard K Le Leu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, South Australia 5042
J Nutr 135:996-1001. 2005..Because the synbiotic combination of these agents facilitates the apoptotic response to DNA damage by a cancer initiator in the colon of rats, it warrants further study for its capacity to protect against colorectal cancer...
- Dietary red meat aggravates dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis in mice whereas resistant starch attenuates inflammationRichard K Le Leu
Preventative Health National Research Flagship, CSIRO, and CSIRO Animal, Food and Health Sciences, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Dig Dis Sci 58:3475-82. 2013..Although a genetic component has been identified as a risk factor for developing inflammatory bowel disease, there is evidence that dietary factors also play a role in the development of this disease...
- Effect of resistant starch on genotoxin-induced apoptosis, colonic epithelium, and lumenal contents in ratsRichard K Le Leu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, 5042, Australia
Carcinogenesis 24:1347-52. 2003..Altering amounts of dietary RS changes fermentative activity in the colon. Increased RS is associated with enhanced AARGC. Changes in amount of fermentable substrate are capable of changing the biological response to DNA damage...
- Dietary fibre and colorectal cancer: a model for environment--gene interactionsGraeme P Young
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, Adelaide, Australia
Mol Nutr Food Res 49:571-84. 2005..Activation of apoptosis and cell cycle arrest seem likely to be mechanisms that would enable correction of genomic events that drive oncogenesis. Butyrate itself can regulate gene expression by both epigenetic and direct effects...
- Repair and removal of azoxymethane-induced O6-methylguanine in rat colon by O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase and apoptosisLaura S Nyskohus
Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, Flinders University of South Australia, Australia
Mutat Res 758:80-6. 2013..In the colonic epithelium, apoptosis may be complementary to MGMT, in terms of minimising potentially mutagenic events and maintaining a healthy genome...
- Dietary manipulation of oncogenic microRNA expression in human rectal mucosa: a randomized trialKaren J Humphreys
Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, School of Medicine, Flinders University, Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 7:786-95. 2014..These findings support increased resistant starch consumption as a means of reducing risk associated with an HRM diet...
- Accumulation of promutagenic DNA adducts in the mouse distal colon after consumption of heme does not induce colonic neoplasms in the western diet model of spontaneous colorectal cancerJean Winter
Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Mol Nutr Food Res 58:550-8. 2014..By utilizing the western diet model of spontaneous CRC, we determined if feeding heme (as hemin chloride) equivalent to a high red meat diet would increase colonic DNA adducts and CRC and whether RS could abrogate such effects...
- Role of Red Meat and Resistant Starch in Promutagenic Adduct Formation, MGMT Repair, Thymic Lymphoma and Intestinal Tumourigenesis in Msh2 -Deficient MiceJean M Winter
Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, Flinders University, Bedford Park, S A, Australia
J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics 7:299-313. 2014..Colonic epithelial changes after red meat and RS consumption with MMR deficiency will differ from normal epithelial cells...
- Effect of high amylose maize starches on colonic fermentation and apoptotic response to DNA-damage in the colon of ratsRichard K Le Leu
Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, South Australia 5042, Australia
Nutr Metab (Lond) 6:11. 2009..abstract:..
- Isolation and identification of mesenchymal stem cells from human fetal pancreasYing Hu
State Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, Institute of Hematology and Blood Diseases Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Science and Peking Union Medical College, Tianjin, People s Republic of China
J Lab Clin Med 141:342-9. 2003..These results demonstrate that PMSCs can be isolated from human fetal pancreas by means of their adherent ability and that they are capable of self-renewal, propagation, and multipotent differentiation...
- Genetic susceptibility and dietary patterns in lung cancerYa Yu Tsai
Laboratory of Population Genetics, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lung Cancer 41:269-81. 2003..Adjustments using dietary pattern may be useful in elucidating the effects of polymorphisms in genes responsible for carcinogen metabolism...
- Glutathione- and thioredoxin-related enzymes are modulated by sulfur-containing chemopreventive agentsYing Hu
Interdisciplinary Research Center, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Heinrich Buff Ring 26 32, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Biol Chem 388:1069-81. 2007..This upregulation was accompanied by a dose-dependent decrease in cell number. Our data indicate that modulation of cellular redox networks is likely to contribute to the effects of sulfur-containing chemopreventive agents...
- Cancers as wounds that do not heal: differences and similarities between renal regeneration/repair and renal cell carcinomaJoseph Riss
Laboratory of Biosystems and Cancer, Comparative Oncology Program, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Res 66:7216-24. 2006..The observations reported here provide a conceptual framework for further efforts to understand the biology and to develop more effective diagnostic biomarkers and therapeutic strategies for renal tumors and renal ischemia...
- Allelotyping of esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma on chromosome 13 defines deletions related to family historyNan Hu
National Cancer Institute, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 44:271-8. 2005..Taken together, these data indicate that a gene or genes on chromosome 13 play an important role in the etiology and progression of ESCC...
- [Selective heterologous communication among human lung epithelial cells, fibroblasts, and lung cancer PG cells]Zhi Qian Zhang
Department of Cell Biology, Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital, Beijing 100034, China
Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 37:306-9. 2005..To further understand the roles of gap junctional intercellular communication in carcinogenesis and progression of human lung cancer...
- An association study of the KPNB3 locus with schizophrenia in a Chinese populationYing Hu
Schizophr Res 76:363-5. 2005
- Phylogeographic analysis of the Bufo gargarizans species complex: a revisitJinzhong Fu
Department of Zoology, University of Guelph, Ont, Canada
Mol Phylogenet Evol 37:202-13. 2005..Allozyme data also failed to reveal any fixed allelic difference among the populations. Therefore, we recommend regarding the complex as a single species, Bufo gargarizans, without subspecies division...
- Association of specific haplotypes of D2 dopamine receptor gene with vulnerability to heroin dependence in 2 distinct populationsKe Xu
Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Rockville, MD, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:597-606. 2004..Dopamine receptor-mediated pathways play critical roles in the mechanism of addiction. However, associations of the D(2) dopamine receptor gene (DRD2) with substance abuse are controversial...
- [The effect of kanglaite injection(KLT) on the proliferation and telomerase activity of rat mesangial cells]Ying Hu
Second Affiliated Hospital, The Medical College of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 30:450-3. 2005..To observe the effect of Kanglaite injection(KLT) on the proliferation and telomerase activity of mesangial cells in rats...
- Resveratrol modulates mRNA transcripts of genes related to redox metabolism and cell proliferation in non-small-cell lung carcinoma cellsYing Hu
Nutritional Biochemistry, Interdisciplinary Research Center, Justus Liebig University Giessen, and Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Indoor and Environmental Toxicology, University Hospital of Giessen and Marburg, Germany
Biol Chem 388:207-19. 2007....
- Genome-wide association study in esophageal cancer using GeneChip mapping 10K arrayNan Hu
Cancer Prevention Studies Branch, Laboratory of Population Genetics, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Res 65:2542-6. 2005..In conclusion, we have shown the feasibility of the Affymetrix 10K SNP array in genome-wide association studies of common cancers and identified new candidate loci to study in ESCC...
- Hemochromatosis gene mutations and distal adenomatous colorectal polypsKatherine A McGlynn
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Department of Health and Human Services, EPS 7060, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20852 7234, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:158-63. 2005..These results do not support a relationship between HFE heterozygosity and risk of advanced distal adenoma...
- Effective asymmetry in gap junctional intercellular communication between populations of human normal lung fibroblasts and lung carcinoma cellsZhi Qian Zhang
Department of Cell Biology, Beijing Institute for Cancer Research, Beijing University School of Oncology, Da Hong Luo Chang Street, Western District, Beijing 100034, People s Republic of China
Carcinogenesis 25:473-82. 2004....
- [Identification and isolation of mesenchymal stem cells from human fetal pancreas]Ying Hu
State Key Lab of Experimental Hematology, Institute of Hematology and Blood Diseases Hospital, CAMS, PUMC, Tianjin 300020, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 24:45-9. 2002..To isolate and identify the phenotype and biological characteristics of pancreas derived mesenchymal stem cell...
- [Effects of anti-ABL tyrosine kinase intrabody on the growth of K562 cells in nude mice]Dong Xu
State Key Lab of Experimental Hematology, Institute of Hematology, CAMS, PUMC, Tianjin 300020, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 24:11-4. 2002..To study the effects of anti-ABL tyrosine kinase intrabody on the growth of human chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) cells in nude mice...
- Comparison of low and high doses of carvedilol on restoration of cardiac function and calcium-handling proteins in rat failing heartYi lan Sun
Department of Respiratory Sciences, The First Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:553-60. 2005..05). 4. The results of the present study suggest that carvedilol is effective in improving LV remodelling and cardiac contractile dysfunction after MI. This may be related to the normalization of SERCA expression...
- Trade-offs between constitutive and induced resistance in wild crucifers shown by a natural, but not an artificial, elicitorPeng Jun Zhang
Institute of Insect Sciences, Zhejiang University, 268 Kaixuan Road, 310029 Hangzhou, China
Oecologia 157:83-92. 2008....
- Involvement of p38MAPK and reactive oxygen species in icariin-induced cardiomyocyte differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells in vitroLing Ding
Institute of Pharmacology Toxicology and Biochemical Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Stem Cells Dev 17:751-60. 2008..Taken together, these results suggest that ROS generation and the subsequent activation of p38MAPK are essential for the inducible function of icariin on cardiomyocyte differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells in vitro...
- A conformational switch to beta-sheet structure in cytochrome c leads to heme exposure. Implications for cardiolipin peroxidation and apoptosisGurusamy Balakrishnan
Department of Chemistry, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:504-5. 2007
- sBAFF mutants induce neutralizing antibodies against BAFFHuiguang Gao
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
FEBS Lett 581:581-6. 2007..These results indicated that the recombinant BAFF mutants modified with Th epitopes could induce neutralizing antibodies against BAFF in vivo. This study may provide a valuable strategy for treating BAFF-associated autoimmune diseases...
- Deletion of the inducible 70-kDa heat shock protein genes in mice impairs cardiac contractile function and calcium handling associated with hypertrophyYun Kyung Kim
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0618, USA
Circulation 113:2589-97. 2006..Hspa1a and Hspa1b genes encode stress-inducible 70-kDa heat shock proteins (Hsp70) that protect cells from insults such as ischemia. Mice with null mutations of both genes (KO) were generated, and their cardiac phenotype was explored...
- Survey of molecular profiling during human colon cancer development and progression by immunohistochemical staining on tissue microarrayWei Chang Chen
Department of Gastroenterology, First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou 215006, Jiangsu Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 13:699-708. 2007..To explore the molecular events taking place during human colon cancer development and progression through high-throughput tissue microarray analysis...
- Suprabasal Dsg2 expression in transgenic mouse skin confers a hyperproliferative and apoptosis-resistant phenotype to keratinocytesDonna Brennan
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Biology, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, 233 South 10th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Cell Sci 120:758-71. 2007..In summary, overexpression of Dsg2 in epidermal keratinocytes deregulates multiple signaling pathways associated with increased growth rate, anchorage-independent cell survival, and the development of skin tumors in vivo...
- Is KPNB3 locus associated with schizophrenia?Li Bo Liu
Research Center for Genomic Medicine, School of Public Health, Jilin University, Changchun, China
Biomed Environ Sci 20:52-5. 2007..To reconfirm the association of KPNB3 with schizophrenia in Chinese population...
- Complexation of DNA with cationic gemini surfactant in aqueous solutionXiaofang Zhao
The State Key Laboratory of Chemical Engineering and Department of Chemistry, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, China
J Colloid Interface Sci 314:478-83. 2007..In contrast to that in the absence of surfactant, the added NaBr at high surfactant concentration influences not only the binding of surfactant with DNA, but also the stability of DNA/EB complex...
- Expression of SODD and P65 in ALL of children and its relationship with chemotherapeutic drugsHongfang Tao
Department of Pediatrics, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 27:326-9. 2007..VCR could down-regulate the expression of SODD and inhibit the NF-kappaB activation, which could recover the sensibility of apoptosis in leukemic cells...
- A combined effect of the KPNA3 and KPNB3 genes on susceptibility to schizophreniaHaiying Zhang
Jilin University Research Center for Genomic Medicine, School of Public Health, Jilin University, Changchun 130021, China
Neurosci Lett 402:173-5. 2006..79, P=0.001) and for the rs626716(C)-rs3736830(G) combination (X2=8.64, P=0.003). The present work suggests that the combination of the KPNA3 gene and the KPNB3 gene may increase a genetic risk for schizophrenia...
- Application of supramolecular nanostamping to the replication of DNA nanoarraysOzge Akbulut
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nano Lett 7:3493-8. 2007..Moreover, we demonstrate that hybridization of these nanoarrays can be detected using atomic force microscopy in a simple and scaleable way that additionally does not require labeling of the DNA strands...
- Reactive oxygen species involved in prenylflavonoids, icariin and icaritin, initiating cardiac differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cellsYan bo Wo
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Biochemical Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310058, China
J Cell Biochem 103:1536-50. 2008....
- [An study on screening the gene clusters associated with pulmonary embolism-deep venous thrombosis by oligo microarray]Ke bin Cheng
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Shanghai Pneumology Hospital, Shanghai 200433, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:2420-2. 2007..To find out the gene clusters associated with pulmonary embolism-deep venous thrombosis (PE-DVT) and elucidate the molecular genetic mechanism of PE...
- Dipeptidyl peptidase I regulates the development of collagen-induced arthritisYing Hu
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:2553-8. 2005..To examine the role of dipeptidyl peptidase I (DPPI), a widely expressed lysosomal cysteine protease, in the development of collagen-induced arthritis (CIA) in mice...
- Allelic variation in gene expression is common in the human genomeH Shuen Lo
Laboratory of Population Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genome Res 13:1855-62. 2003..Our studies demonstrate that variation of gene expression between alleles is common, and this variation may contribute to human variability...