A B Chang
- Quantification of the magnification and distortion effects of a pediatric flexible video-bronchoscopeI B Masters
School of Medicine, Discipline of Paediatric and Child Health, University of Queensland, Herston 4029, Brisbane, Australia
Respir Res 6:16. 2005..The aim of this study was to systematically describe the magnification and distortion of flexible bronchoscope images taken at various distances from the object...
- Airway sizes and proportions in children quantified by a video-bronchoscopic techniqueIan B Masters
School of Medicine, University of Queensland, Herston 4029, Brisbane, Australia
BMC Pulm Med 6:5. 2006..The aims of this study were to measure large airway areas, and define proportions and factors that influence airway size in children...
- Anti-histamines for prolonged non-specific cough in childrenA B Chang
Royal Children s Hospital, Respiratory Medicine, Herston Road, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 4029
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD005604. 2006..It is commonly seen in paediatric practice. These children are treated with a variety of therapies including anti-histamines. Also, anti-histamines are advocated as an empirical treatment in adults with chronic cough...
- An objective study of acid reflux and cough in children using an ambulatory pHmetry-cough loggerA B Chang
Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston Rd, Herston, Queensland 4029, Australia
Arch Dis Child 96:468-72. 2011..25 Hz) that limit objective quantification of reflux and cough. The authors aimed to evaluate if there is a temporal association between cough and acid pH in ambulatory children with chronic cough...
- Series of laryngomalacia, tracheomalacia, and bronchomalacia disorders and their associations with other conditions in childrenI B Masters
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 34:189-95. 2002....
- Utility of signs and symptoms of chronic cough in predicting specific cause in childrenJ M Marchant
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Australia
Thorax 61:694-8. 2006....
- A new method for objective identification and measurement of airway lumen in paediatric flexible videobronchoscopyI B Masters
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston 4029, Brisbane, Australia
Thorax 60:652-8. 2005..The malacia disorders are an important cause of respiratory morbidity in children, but no methods are currently available to measure these lesions or the airway lumen accurately. A new measurement technique is described here...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis: tailoring asthma treatment on eosinophilic markers (exhaled nitric oxide or sputum eosinophils)H L Petsky
Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
Thorax 67:199-208. 2012..At present, there is insufficient justification to advocate the routine use of either sputum analysis (due to technical expertise required) or FeNO in everyday clinical practice...
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide relates to cough sensitivity in children with chronic coughA B Chang
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Eur Respir J 30:66-72. 2007..Calcitonin gene-related peptide in bronchoalveolar lavage relates to cough sensitivity and is likely to be important in the pathophysiology of chronic cough...
- A comparison of fluoroscopic airway screening with flexible bronchoscopy for diagnosing tracheomalaciaM O Sanchez
Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre and Queensland Children s Medical Research Institute, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 47:63-7. 2012..We determined the sensitivity, specificity, and likelihood predictive ratio of airway fluoroscopy compared with FB in children suspected of having an airway abnormality...
- 'Free' surfactant in gastric aspirates and bronchoalveolar lavage in children with and without reflux oesophagitisA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Queensland, Australia
Intern Med J 36:226-30. 2006....
- Bronchoscopic findings in children with non-cystic fibrosis chronic suppurative lung diseaseA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Queensland, Australia
Thorax 57:935-8. 2002....
- Diagnosing and preventing chronic suppurative lung disease (CSLD) and bronchiectasisA B Chang
Child Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT Queensland Children s Respiratory Centre and Queensland Children s Medical Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Paediatr Respir Rev 12:97-103. 2011..Treatment is aimed at achieving a cure in those at the milder end of the spectrum to limiting further deterioration in those with severe 'irreversible' radiological bronchiectasis...
- Clinical signs and symptoms of oropharyngeal aspiration and dysphagia in childrenK Weir
Department of Speech Pathology, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston Rd, Herston, QLD 4029, Australia
Eur Respir J 33:604-11. 2009..Wet voice, wet breathing and cough were good clinical markers for children with oropharyngeal aspiration on thin fluid but not on purée. Age and neurological status influenced the significance of these clinical markers...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials of gastro-oesophageal reflux interventions for chronic cough associated with gastro-oesophageal refluxA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane, QLD 4029, Australia
BMJ 332:11-7. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy of treatment for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) on chronic cough in children and adults without an underlying respiratory disease...
- A bronchoscopic scoring system for airway secretions--airway cellularity and microbiological validationA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:887-92. 2006..The system related well to airway cellularity and neutrophilia, as well as to an airway infective state. However, the system is only complementary to cell counts and cultures and cannot replace these laboratory quantification techniques...
- Persistent cough in children and the overuse of medicationsF Thomson
Department of Paediatrics, Mater Children s Hospital, South Brisbane, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 38:578-81. 2002..Children referred for persistent cough were evaluated for the referring and final diagnosis, and the extent of the use of medications prior to referral and the side effects encountered...
- Indoor air modification interventions for prolonged non-specific cough in childrenD Donnelly
Sheffield Children s Hospital, Sheffield, Yorkshire, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD005075. 2006..These children are treated with a variety of therapies, including non-pharmacological treatments. There is a wide variety and a growing market for these non-pharmacological treatments that include air-modification modalities...
- Re: membranous obliterative bronchitis: a proposed unifying modelA B Chang
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:904; author reply 905-6. 2006
- Chronic wet cough: Protracted bronchitis, chronic suppurative lung disease and bronchiectasisA B Chang
Child Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:519-31. 2008..The principles of managing PBB, CSLD and bronchiectasis are the same. Further work is required to improve recognition, diagnosis and management of these causes of chronic wet cough in children...
- Relation between measurements of cough severityA B Chang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital Foundation, Brisbane, Australia
Arch Dis Child 88:57-60. 2003..While the relation between determinants of asthma severity is known, that for cough is unknown. We hypothesised that cough sensitivity changes relate to changes in cough scores and objectively measured cough frequency...
- Therapy for cough: active agentsK F Chung
Royal Brompton Hospital, National Heart and Lung Institute, London, England
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 15:335-8. 2002..Large scale trials of these novel compounds have not been tried in cough in man, but there is a serious need for more effective antitussives devoid of side-effects...
- Cough, airway inflammation, and mild asthma exacerbationA B Chang
Flinders University NT Clinical School, Alice Springs Hospital, Northern Territory Department of Respiratory Medicine, Mater Children s Hospital Department of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, NSW
Arch Dis Child 86:270-5. 2002..Prospective data on the temporal relation between cough, asthma symptoms, and airway inflammation in childhood asthma is unavailable...
- Non-CF bronchiectasis: clinical and HRCT evaluationA B Chang
Flinders University NT Clinical School, Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 35:477-83. 2003..While improvement in the living standards is of utmost importance, the medical management that includes thorough investigations of these children should not be neglected...
- High prevalence of asthma in five remote indigenous communities in AustraliaP C Valery
Epidemiology and Population Health Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Australia
Eur Respir J 17:1089-96. 2001..It is concluded that there are significant intercommunity variations in the prevalence of asthma symptoms in remote communities and that the prevalence in these communities is as high as in nonindigenous groups...