David P Smith
Affiliation: Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit
- A randomised controlled trial of a mindfulness intervention for men with advanced prostate cancerSuzanne K Chambers
Griffith Health Institute, Griffith University, 4222, Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
BMC Cancer 13:89. 2013....
- Prostate-specific antigen testing in Australia and association with prostate cancer incidence in New South WalesD P Smith
Cancer Control Information Centre, New South Wales Cancer Council, Sydney
Med J Aust 169:17-20. 1998..To describe patterns and trends in prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing in Australia and assess its role in the increasing incidence of prostate cancer...
- Quality of life three years after diagnosis of localised prostate cancer: population based cohort studyDavid P Smith
Cancer Council, Kings Cross, New South Wales 1340, Australia
BMJ 339:b4817. 2009..To quantify the risk and severity of negative effects of treatment for localised prostate cancer on long term quality of life...
- Evidence-based uncertainty: recent trial results on prostate-specific antigen testing and prostate cancer mortalityDavid P Smith
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 191:199-200. 2009..Large-scale randomised controlled trials in Europe and the United States are informing evidence-based clinical advice...
- Prostate cancer and prostate-specific antigen testing in New South WalesDavid P Smith
Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, Australia
Med J Aust 189:315-8. 2008..To describe trends in prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing, prostate cancer incidence and mortality in New South Wales...
- Age, health, and education determine supportive care needs of men younger than 70 years with prostate cancerDavid P Smith
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council New South Wales, Woolloomooloo, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Oncol 25:2560-6. 2007..A population-wide sample of men younger than 70 years and newly diagnosed with prostate cancer was surveyed to determine their unmet needs in five domains and the factors predicting them...
- The association of ultraviolet radiation-B (305 nm), season of diagnosis, and latitude on the survival outcome of prostate cancer in the high UV environment of AustraliaVisalini Nair-Shalliker
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council New South Wales, 153 Dowling Street, Woolloomooloo, Sydney, NSW, 2011, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 24:2005-11. 2013..Positive associations between sun exposure and cancer survival have been observed in regions of high latitudes, where ambient solar ultraviolet (SUV) radiation is generally low...
- Risk factors for erectile dysfunction in a cohort of 108 477 Australian menMarianne F Weber
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 199:107-11. 2013..To quantify relationships between erectile dysfunction (ED), ageing and health and lifestyle factors for men aged 45 years and older...
- Sociodemographic and health-related predictors of self-reported mammogram, faecal occult blood test and prostate specific antigen test use in a large Australian studyMarianne F Weber
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council NSW, PO Box 572, Kings Cross, Sydney, NSW 1340, Australia
BMC Public Health 13:429. 2013..We examined sociodemographic and health-related factors associated with the use of these tests in the previous two years either alone or in combination...
- Using linked routinely collected health data to describe prostate cancer treatment in New South Wales, Australia: a validation studyDavid E Goldsbury
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council NSW, PO Box 572, Kings Cross, NSW 1340, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 11:253. 2011..Our aim was to determine the accuracy of linked routinely collected administrative data for monitoring prostate cancer care in New South Wales (NSW), Australia...
- Sun exposure may increase risk of prostate cancer in the high UV environment of New South Wales, Australia: a case-control studyVisalini Nair-Shalliker
Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Cancer 131:E726-32. 2012..Further studies are needed to test the hypothesis that high solar UV exposure is a risk factor for prostate cancer and to explore possible mechanisms for such an association...
- Cancer screening among migrants in an Australian cohort; cross-sectional analyses from the 45 and Up StudyMarianne F Weber
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council NSW, PO Box 572, Kings Cross 1340, NSW, Australia
BMC Public Health 9:144. 2009..The objective of this study was to examine the distribution of bowel, breast and prostate cancer test use by place of birth and years since migration in a large population-based cohort study in Australia...
- Geographic variation in prostate cancer survival in New South WalesXue Qin Yu
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 200:586-90. 2014..To determine whether the previously reported urban-rural differential in prostate cancer survival remains after adjusting for demographic and clinical factors, and to investigate temporal trends in this differential...
- Estimating regional variation in cancer survival: a tool for improving cancer careXue Q Yu
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, The Cancer Council New South Wales, P O Box 572, Kings Cross, NSW, 1340, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 15:611-8. 2004..To improve estimation of regional variation in cancer survival and identify cancers to which priority might be given to increase survival...
- Projecting prevalence by stage of care for prostate cancer and estimating future health service needs: protocol for a modelling studyXue Q Yu
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
BMJ Open 1:e000104. 2011..Results of the study will be disseminated widely to different interest groups and organisations through a report, conference presentations and peer-reviewed articles...
- Prostate-specific antigen levels in men aged 70 years and over: findings from the CHAMP studyMelisa J Litchfield
Centre for Education and Research on Ageing, Concord Hospital and University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 196:395-8. 2012..To describe values of serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in older men without diagnosed prostate cancer, categorised by age and country of birth, and to describe self-reported prostate cancer screening...
- Skin cancer in general practice --impact of an early detection campaignBarbara Reen
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, The Cancer Council NSW, Australia
Aust Fam Physician 36:574-6. 2007....
- A comprehensive evaluation of bladder cancer epidemiology and outcomes in AustraliaRajkumar Cheluvappa
The Urological Cancer Outcomes Centre, Department of Surgery, Western Clinical School, University of Sydney, Suite 10, 16 18 Mons Road, Westmead, Sydney, NSW, 2145, Australia
Int Urol Nephrol 46:1351-60. 2014..To review bladder cancer statistics and management in Australia and identify gaps for future work here...
- Characteristics of cases with unknown stage prostate cancer in a population-based cancer registryQingwei Luo
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council New South Wales, P O Box 572, Kings Cross, NSW 1340, Australia Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia Electronic address
Cancer Epidemiol 37:813-9. 2013..We investigated the characteristics of prostate cancer cases with "unknown" stage recorded by the NSW CCR, and examined survival for this group...
- Remoteness of residence and survival from cancer in New South WalesKatharine E Jong
Northern Rivers University Department of Rural Health, University of Sydney, PO Box 3074, Lismore, NSW
Med J Aust 180:618-22. 2004..To analyse cancer survival in New South Wales by geographic remoteness...
- The impact of pregnancy intention on breastfeeding duration in Bolivia and ParaguayCarrie K Shapiro-Mendoza
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, USA
Stud Fam Plann 38:198-205. 2007..9) than were intended pregnancies, but the association was not statistically significant. In this study, therefore, pregnancy intention was not an important factor in duration of breastfeeding in Bolivia or Paraguay...
- Rethinking the Hispanic paradox: death rates and life expectancy for US non-Hispanic White and Hispanic populationsDavid P Smith
University of Texas School of Public Health, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1686-92. 2006..This paradox coincided with a change from the classification of deaths and population by Spanish surname to the use of Hispanic-origin questions in the census and vital statistics...
- Parental pregnancy intention and early childhood stunting: findings from BoliviaCarrie Shapiro-Mendoza
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Brownsville, TX, USA
Int J Epidemiol 34:387-96. 2005..Additionally, it examined the influence of paternal pregnancy intention status...
- Clinicians' attitudes to prostate cancer peer-support groupsSuzanne K Steginga
Community Services, Queensland Cancer Fund, PO Box 201, Spring Hill QLD 4004, Australia
BJU Int 99:68-71. 2007....