Affiliation: Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit
- Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori immunoglobulin G antibodies in South African mothers and their childrenTshepo W Mosane
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:113-4. 2004
- InterSCOPE study: Associations between esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and human papillomavirus serological markersFreddy Sitas
Cancer Council NSW, Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Natl Cancer Inst 104:147-58. 2012....
- The relationship between basal and squamous cell skin cancer and smoking related cancersFreddy Sitas
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
BMC Res Notes 4:556. 2011..abstract:..
- Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated-Herpes Virus (KSHV) Seroprevalence in Pregnant Women in South AfricaBabatyi I Malope-Kgokong
Viral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, Frederick MD, USA
Infect Agent Cancer 5:14. 2010..We measured the seroprevalence of KSHV in relation to HIV, syphilis, and demographic factors among pregnant women attending public antenatal clinics in the Gauteng province of South Africa...
- Risk factors for high anti-HHV-8 antibody titers (> or =1:51,200) in black, HIV-1 negative South African cancer patients: a case control studyJanet M Wojcicki
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, United States
BMC Infect Dis 3:21. 2003..However, the geographic distribution of HHV-8 and KS both prior to the HIV/AIDS epidemic and with HIV/AIDS suggest the presence of an additional co-factor in the development of KS...
- Part II: Cancer in Indigenous Africans--causes and controlFreddy Sitas
Research Division, The Cancer Council New South Wales, Australia
Lancet Oncol 9:786-95. 2008..Vaccinations against hepatitis B and oncogenic human papilloma viruses can make the biggest difference, but very few countries in Africa can afford these vaccines without substantial subsidization...
- Smoking questions on the Australian death notification form: adopting international best practice?Freddy Sitas
The Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 191:166-8. 2009..This is particularly pertinent for sections of the population in which tobacco control measures have been less successful. A number of practical concerns have been raised, but we do not believe these are insurmountable...
- Breast cancer risk among female employees of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in AustraliaFreddy Sitas
The Cancer Council New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 192:651-4. 2010....
- Tobacco attributable deaths in South AfricaF Sitas
National Health Laboratory Service, and Witwatersrand University, South Africa
Tob Control 13:396-9. 2004..In mid 1998, a question "Was the deceased a smoker five years ago?" was introduced on the newly revised South African death notification form...
- Cancer screening among migrants in an Australian cohort; cross-sectional analyses from the 45 and Up StudyMarianne F Weber
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council NSW, PO Box 572, Kings Cross 1340, NSW, Australia
BMC Public Health 9:144. 2009..The objective of this study was to examine the distribution of bowel, breast and prostate cancer test use by place of birth and years since migration in a large population-based cohort study in Australia...
- The spectrum of human immunodeficiency virus-associated cancers in a South African black population: results from a case-control study, 1995-2004Lara Stein
MRC NHLS Wits Cancer Epidemiology Research Group, National Health Laboratory Service, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Cancer 122:2260-5. 2008..No significant associations were found between HIV and any of the other cancers examined. Risks for HIV-related cancers are consistent with previous studies in Africa, and are lower when compared to those observed in developed countries...
- A cross-sectional exploration of smoking status and social interaction in a large population-based Australian cohortMay Chiew
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council NSW, 153 Dowling St, Woolloomooloo 2011, Australia
Soc Sci Med 75:77-86. 2012..Our data are in line with previous research showing that smokers are not only worse off economically, physically and mentally, but are also less likely to be socially connected...
- Cohort profile: the 45 and up studyEmily Banks
Sax Institute, Sydney, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 37:941-7. 2008
- Smoking in migrants in New South Wales, Australia: report on data from over 100 000 participants in The 45 and Up StudyMarianne F Weber
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 30:597-605. 2011..The aim of this study was to compare smoking characteristics of Australian migrants (in terms of place of birth and age migrated) to those of Australian-born residents...
- The NSW & ACT Hereditary Cancer RegistersLibby Weir
Hereditary Cancer Registers, The Cancer Council New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 34:53-8. 2005..The NSW & ACT Hereditary Cancer Registers (HCR) offer registration to people from families at risk for hereditary cancer...
- Population characteristics related to colorectal cancer testing in New South Wales, Australia: results from the 45 and Up Study cohortMarianne F Weber
Research Fellow, Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, The Cancer Council NSW, PO Box 572, Kings Cross 1340, Australia
J Med Screen 15:137-42. 2008..To compare the characteristics of people who utilize colorectal cancer screening tests with those who do not...
- Cervical cancer in Australia and the United Kingdom: comparison of screening policy and uptake, and cancer incidence and mortalityKaren Canfell
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, The Cancer Council New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 185:482-6. 2006..To compare cervical screening policy, screening uptake, and changes in cervical cancer incidence and mortality between Australia and the United Kingdom...
- What factors do cancer patients believe contribute to the development of their cancer? (New South Wales, Australia)Simon J Willcox
Cancer Council NSW, Woolloomooloo, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 22:1503-11. 2011..To analyze Australian cancer patients' beliefs about factors contributing to the development of their cancer...
- Preventing primary liver cancer: how well are we faring towards a national hepatitis B strategy?Monica C Robotin
The Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 188:363-5. 2008..Lessons learned in the development of the National Hepatitis C Strategy and the experience of international hepatitis B control programs need to inform this process...
- Part I: Cancer in Indigenous Africans--burden, distribution, and trendsD Max Parkin
Clinical Trial Service Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet Oncol 9:683-92. 2008....
- Estimating the burden of disease attributable to smoking in South Africa in 2000Pam Groenewald
Burden of Disease Research Unit, Medical Research Council of South Africa, Cape Town
S Afr Med J 97:674-81. 2007..To quantify the burden of disease attributable to smoking in South Africa for 2000...
- Cancer in rural KwaZulu-NatalMartin Dedicoat
S Afr Med J 93:846-7. 2003
- Transmission of Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus between mothers and children in a South African populationBabatyi I Malope
Cancer Epidemiology Research Group, National Health Laboratory Services, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:351-5. 2007..To assess whether Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) with or without HIV coinfection in South African mothers is associated with higher KSHV seropositivity in their children...
- The seroprevalence of IgG antibodies to human papillomavirus (HPV) types HPV-16, HPV-18, and HPV-11 capsid-antigens in mothers and their childrenDianne J Marais
Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road, Cape Town, South Africa
J Med Virol 79:1370-4. 2007..Indications were of multiple sources of HPV infection in the children...
- No evidence of sexual transmission of Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus in a heterosexual South African populationBabatyi I Malope
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS 22:519-26. 2008..The transmission of Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus (KSHV) in men who have sex with men is clearly associated with sexual risk factors, but evidence of heterosexual transmission of KSHV is conflicting...
- Future cancer trends to be influenced by past and future migrationRajah Supramaniam
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:90-2. 2008