Affiliation: Australian National University
Location: Canberra, Australia
- Ghuman M, Rohlandt D, Joshy G, Lawrenson R. Post-caesarean section surgical site infection: rate and risk factors. N Z Med J. 2011;124:32-6 pubmed..Identification of these risk factors reminds obstetric staff that appropriate targeting of infection reducing strategies to women at high risk is needed. ..
- Lawrenson R, Joshy G, Eerens Y, Johnstone W. How do newly diagnosed patients with type 2 diabetes in the Waikato get their diabetes education?. J Prim Health Care. 2010;2:303-10 pubmed..We believe that further research on the educational needs of Maori and ethnic minorities is needed. ..
- Lawrenson R, Gibbons V, Joshy G, Choi P. Are there disparities in care in people with diabetes? A review of care provided in general practice. J Prim Health Care. 2009;1:177-83 pubmed
- Joshy G, Porter T, Le Lievre C, Lane J, Williams M, Lawrenson R. Implication of using estimated glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in a multi ethnic population of diabetes patients in general practice. N Z Med J. 2010;123:9-18 pubmed..MDRD equation may be overestimating CKD among M?ori females. Each ethnic subpopulation may need to be validated separately, and by gender. ..
- Joshy G, Lawrenson R, Simmons D. Retention of patients in the Get Checked free annual diabetes review programme in New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2008;121:35-44 pubmed..Use of these data for policy purposes could be significantly biased unless there is a single reliable regional diabetes register based on the National Health Index number including all known patients. ..
- Hickey D, Joshy G, Dunn P, Simmons D, Lawrenson R. Glycaemic control and antibody status among patients with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes. N Z Med J. 2007;120:U2732 pubmed..In view of its association with better glycaemic control, high levels of anti-IA2 may be a good, rather than a poor, prognostic feature in newly diagnosed patients with Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Joshy G, Simmons D. Diabetes information systems: a rapidly emerging support for diabetes surveillance and care. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2006;8:587-97 pubmed
- Banks E, Joshy G, Abhayaratna W, Kritharides L, Macdonald P, Korda R, et al. Erectile dysfunction severity as a risk marker for cardiovascular disease hospitalisation and all-cause mortality: a prospective cohort study. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001372 pubmed publisher..20-2.97). These findings give support for CVD risk assessment in men with erectile dysfunction who have not already undergone assessment. The utility of erectile dysfunction as a clinical risk prediction tool requires specific testing. ..
- Joshy G, Colonne C, Dunn P, Simmons D, Lawrenson R. Ethnic disparities in causes of death among diabetes patients in the Waikato region of New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2010;123:19-29 pubmed..Studies on diabetes related mortality using the national mortality database needs to take the increased recognition of diabetes on NZHIS coding for M?ori into account. ..
- Mather T, Banks E, Joshy G, Bauman A, Phongsavan P, Korda R. Variation in health inequalities according to measures of socioeconomic status and age. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2014;38:436-40 pubmed publisher..Researchers and policy makers should be aware of the extent to which SEIFA-based estimates underestimate the magnitude of health inequality compared to individual-level measures, especially in younger age groups. ..