Sheryl A Hemphill
Affiliation: Australian Catholic University
- Carrying weapons and intent to harm among Victorian secondary school students in 1999 and 2009Sheryl A Hemphill
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 199:769-71. 2013..To examine comparable survey data across 10 years to assess whether rates of self-reported weapon carrying and intent to harm others have increased as suggested in reported trends in violent offences...
- Longitudinal predictors of cyber and traditional bullying perpetration in Australian secondary school studentsSheryl A Hemphill
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, Australia
J Adolesc Health 51:59-65. 2012..The current article examines the individual, peer, family, and school risk factors for both cyber and traditional bullying (the latter is bullying that does not use technology) in adolescents...
- The impact of school suspension on student tobacco use: a longitudinal study in Victoria, Australia, and Washington State, United StatesSheryl A Hemphill
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Health Educ Behav 39:45-56. 2012..Tobacco use is an early-onset problem behavior, but prospective studies of the effects of suspension on tobacco use are lacking...
- Longitudinal consequences of adolescent bullying perpetration and victimisation: a study of students in Victoria, AustraliaSheryl A Hemphill
Centre for Adolescent Health, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Vic, Australia
Crim Behav Ment Health 21:107-16. 2011..To examine the associations between self-reported bullying perpetration and victimisation in Years 7 and 10 and a range of psychosocial outcomes in Year 11...
- Alcohol use and related harms in school students in the USA and AustraliaJohn W Toumbourou
Faculty of Health, Medicine, Nursing and Behavioural Sciences, Deakin University, School of Psychology, Burwood 3125, Australia
Health Promot Int 24:373-82. 2009....
- Pubertal stage and the prevalence of violence and social/relational aggressionSheryl A Hemphill
Centre for Adolescent Health, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Pediatrics 126:e298-305. 2010..We examined associations between pubertal stage and violent adolescent behavior and social/relational aggression...
- Risk and protective factors for adolescent substance use in washington state, the United States and Victoria, Australia: a longitudinal studySheryl A Hemphill
Centre for Adolescent Health, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Victoria, Australia
J Adolesc Health 49:312-20. 2011..To compare the levels of risk and protective factors and the predictive influence of these factors on alcohol, tobacco, and cannabis use over a 12-month follow-up period in Washington State in the United States and in Victoria, Australia...
- Predicting female depression across puberty: a two-nation longitudinal studyGeorge C Patton
Centre for Adolescent Health, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Parkville, Australia
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:1424-32. 2008..To prospectively examine the relation between pubertal stage and the onset and course of depressive symptoms...
- Rates of student-reported antisocial behavior, school suspensions, and arrests in Victoria, Australia and Washington State, United StatesSheryl A Hemphill
Centre for Adolescent Health, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Department of Paediatrics, The University of Melbourne, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Sch Health 77:303-11. 2007..These 2 states were chosen due to their similarities on sociodemographic characteristics and their differences in policy frameworks around problem behavior including antisocial behavior and substance use...
- The effect of school suspensions and arrests on subsequent adolescent antisocial behavior in Australia and the United StatesSheryl A Hemphill
Centre for Adolescent Health, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, The University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics, Royal Children s Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Adolesc Health 39:736-44. 2006..e., being taken into police custody) on subsequent adolescent antisocial behavior such as violence and crime, after controlling for established risk and protective factors in Victoria, Australia and Washington State, United States (U.S.)...
- Are rates of school suspension higher in socially disadvantaged neighbourhoods? An Australian studySheryl A Hemphill
Centre for Adolescent Health, Royal Children s Hospital, Department of Paediatrics at The University of Melbourne, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, and School of Psychology, Deakin University, Victoria
Health Promot J Austr 21:12-8. 2010..Often excluded students are from socio-economically disadvantaged areas. This paper examines associations between area level socio-economic status (SES) and school suspension in Australian students...
- Cannabis use and related harms in the transition to young adulthood: a longitudinal study of Australian secondary school studentsKirsty E Scholes-Balog
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, 115 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
J Adolesc 36:519-27. 2013..These findings may assist in understanding the extent of cannabis-related problems among youth, and in planning relevant services...
- Adolescent exposure to drink driving as a predictor of young adults' drink drivingTracy J Evans-Whipp
Centre for Adolescent Health, Royal Children s Hospital and Adolescent Health Research, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 51:185-91. 2013..62, 95% CI 1.23-2.13). Observing the drink driving behaviours of others during adolescence may increase the likelihood of DUI as a young adult. Strategies to reduce youth exposure to drink driving are warranted...
- Adolescent predictors and environmental correlates of young adult alcohol use problemsJohn W Toumbourou
Prevention Sciences, School of Psychology and Centre for Mental Health and Wellbeing Research, Deakin University, Geelong, Vic, Australia
Addiction 109:417-24. 2014..To examine the rates of young adult alcohol and drug use and alcohol problems, adolescent predictors of young adult alcohol problems and correlations with young adult social, work and recreational environments...
- Puberty and the onset of substance use and abuseGeorge C Patton
Centre for Adolescent Health, Murdoch Children s Research Institute and Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Pediatrics 114:e300-6. 2004..Substance abuse remains one of the major threats to adolescent health in Western cultures. The study aim was to ascertain the extent of association between pubertal development and early adolescent substance use...
- Rural adolescent alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drug use: a comparison of students in Victoria, Australia, and Washington State, United StatesKerri Coomber
School of Psychology, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria, Australia
J Rural Health 27:409-15. 2011....
- Alcohol warning labels: unlikely to affect alcohol-related beliefs and behaviours in adolescentsKirsty E Scholes-Balog
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 36:524-9. 2012..Alcohol-related harms are of particular concern among adolescents. The aim of this article was to review the available literature and evaluate the impact of alcohol warning labels on adolescent drinking, knowledge and behaviour...
- A prospective study of adolescent risk and protective factors for problem gambling among young adultsKirsty E Scholes-Balog
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, 115 Victoria Pde, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia Electronic address
J Adolesc 37:215-24. 2014..These findings highlight the importance of adolescent alcohol use and family environment as potentially modifiable predictors of young adult problem gambling. ..
- A longitudinal study of the reciprocal effects of alcohol use and interpersonal violence among Australian young peopleKirsty E Scholes-Balog
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, 115 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy, Vic, 3065, Australia
J Youth Adolesc 42:1811-23. 2013..Further, the role that social and family contexts have in influencing the relationships between alcohol use and interpersonal violence should be considered in future research to better inform preventive efforts...
- Relationships between online gambling, mental health, and substance use: a reviewKirsty E Scholes-Balog
School of Psychology, Australian Catholic University, 115 Victoria Pde, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 15:688-92. 2012..Future research is required to address these limitations...
- Aggression after paediatric traumatic brain injury: a theoretical approachJulian J Dooley
Department of Psychology, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Brain Inj 22:836-46. 2008..To examine aggression in adolescent males with and without traumatic brain injury (TBI)...