Helen Louise Berry
Affiliation: Australian National University
- Preliminary development and validation of an Australian community participation questionnaire: types of participation and associations with distress in a coastal communityHelen Louise Berry
The Australian National University, National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Soc Sci Med 64:1719-37. 2007..Higher levels of participation in the Big 7 were associated with lower levels of distress. Participating in an increasing number of the Big 7 types of participation was strongly associated in linear fashion with decreasing distress...
- Climate change and mental health: a causal pathways frameworkHelen Louise Berry
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, College of Medicine, Biology and Environment, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Int J Public Health 55:123-32. 2010..We propose an explanatory framework to enhance consideration of how these effects may operate and to encourage debate about this important aspect of the health impacts of climate change...
- Development and preliminary validation of the 'Caring for Country' questionnaire: measurement of an Indigenous Australian health determinantChristopher P Burgess
Menzies School of Health Research, Institute of Advanced Studies, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia
Int J Equity Health 7:26. 2008..The aims of this study were to pilot and validate a questionnaire measuring caring for country as an Indigenous health determinant and to relate it to an external reference, obesity...
- 'Crowded suburbs' and 'killer cities': a brief review of the relationship between urban environments and mental healthHelen L Berry
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, The Australian National University
N S W Public Health Bull 18:222-7. 2007..This paper briefly reviews recent studies linking disadvantaged urban environments with mental health and proposes a hypothetical model to help guide future research...
- Social capital elite, excluded participators, busy working parents and aging, participating less: types of community participators and their mental healthHelen Louise Berry
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, ANU College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Australian National University, Acton, ACT 0200, Australia
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:527-37. 2008..Policy-makers might consider (1) how and whether different groups might respond to the use of increased community participation as a mental health promotion strategy and (2) barriers that might have to be overcome in different groups...
- Social capital and health in Australia: An overview from the household, income and labour dynamics in Australia surveyHelen Louise Berry
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment, The Australian National University, ACTON ACT 0200, Canberra
Soc Sci Med 70:588-96. 2010..Because community participation is amenable to intervention, subject to causal testing, our findings may assist in the development of programs which are effective in promoting social cohesion and, thereby, mental health...
- Work demands, job insecurity and sickness absence from work. how productive is the new, flexible labour force?Rennie M D'Souza
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Aust N Z J Public Health 30:205-12. 2006..We further investigate if having control at work modifies these associations...
- Community participation and mental health during retirement in community sample of AustraliansSarah C Olesen
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Australia
Aging Ment Health 15:186-97. 2011..This study considered whether community participation during later adulthood is more strongly associated with mental health during retirement than it is while in employment; i.e. in the absence of paid work...