Affiliation: Alfred Hospital
- Cardiac tamponade due to coronary artery erosionSilvana Marasco
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Heart Surg Forum 8:E173-4. 2005..In one patient the foreign body had been ingested and in the other patient, the cause was iatrogenic. This report highlights varied and unusual causes of cardiac tamponade...
- Heterotopic heart transplantation: an expanding role in the twenty-first century?Andrew E Newcomb
Heart and Lung Transplantation Service, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1345-50; discussion 1350-1. 2004..We also anticipated an increased cardiac allograft utilization, and improvement of our waiting list times...
- Ecstasy-associated pneumomediastinumSilvana F Marasco
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Alfred Hospital, Prahran 3181, Victoria, Australia
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89:389-93. 2007..Ecstasy, also known as MDMA (3,4, methylenedioxymethamphetamine), is a popular illicit party drug amongst young adults. The drug induces a state of euphoria secondary to its stimulant activity in the central nervous system...
- Pilot study of operative fixation of fractured ribs in patients with flail chestSilvana Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, The Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 79:804-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess the safety of operative fixation of broken ribs in flail chest using absorbable prostheses...
- Quality of life after major trauma with multiple rib fracturesSilvana Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, The Alfred Hospital, Australia Electronic address
Injury 46:61-5. 2015..This study aimed to document the long-term quality of life in a cohort of major trauma patients with rib fracture injury over 24 months...
- Molecular markers of programmed cell death in donor hearts before transplantationSilvana F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne Department of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne Electronic address
J Heart Lung Transplant 33:185-93. 2014....
- Prospective randomized controlled trial of operative rib fixation in traumatic flail chestSilvana F Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Am Coll Surg 216:924-32. 2013..Longer-term sequelae of pain, deformity, and physical restriction are well described. This study investigated the impact of operative fixation in these patients...
- Donor brain death time and impact on outcomes in heart transplantationS Marasco
Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Transplant Proc 45:33-7. 2013....
- Structural integrity of intramedullary rib fixation using a single bioresorbable screwSilvana F Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, The Alfred Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 73:668-73. 2012..In this article, we analyze and model the physiologic forces acting on posterior rib fractures and assess the suitability of an intramedullary screw fixation technique in this site...
- Impact of warm ischemia time on survival after heart transplantationS F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Transplant Proc 44:1385-9. 2012..The aim of this study was to analyze our results in cardiac transplantation with specific focus on the impact of WIT...
- Cadaveric lobar lung transplantation: technical aspectsSilvana F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, Department of Respiratory Medicine, The Alfred Hospital, Prahan, Victoria, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 93:1836-42. 2012..However, despite these advantages, the techniques have not been widely adopted. We outline the surgical and sizing issues associated with this technique...
- Institution of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation late after lung transplantation - a futile exercise?Silvana F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Clin Transplant 26:E71-7. 2012..Late institution of ECMO in lung transplant recipients for causes other than primary graft failure is associated with such poor survival that its use should be considered only in very select cases...
- Thoracotomy in adults while on ECMO is associated with uncontrollable bleedingSilvana F Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgical Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Perfusion 22:23-6. 2007..This experience has led us to review the literature of anticoagulation management of patients on ECMO so we can alter our own protocols and allow safer operative intervention in the future...
- Mode of failure of rib fixation with absorbable plates: a clinical and numerical modeling studySilvana F Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Trauma 68:1225-33. 2010..The aim of this study was to review our plating failures and to create a numerical model of muscle forces on fractured ribs to identify the mechanism by which these rib fixations have failed...
- No improvement in neurocognitive outcomes after off-pump versus on-pump coronary revascularisation: a meta-analysisSilvana F Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Department, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran 3181, Victoria, Australia
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33:961-70. 2008..The results of this meta-analysis show that there are no significant neurocognitive benefits when comparing off-pump versus on-pump CABG...
- Correction of posteromedial papillary muscle displacement in repair of ischemic mitral regurgitationSilvana F Marasco
CJOB Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Heart Valve Dis 17:620-7. 2008..The aim of this animal-based study was to evaluate a novel technique to effect such a repair...
- Prolonged cardiac allograft ischemic time--no impact on long-term survival but at what cost?Silvana F Marasco
The Alfred, CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Transplant 21:321-9. 2007....
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in primary graft failure after heart transplantationSilvana F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 90:1541-6. 2010..The aim of this review was to analyze our results with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) support for primary graft failure (PGF) in heart transplant recipients...
- Ischaemic mitral regurgitation and the role of surgical interventionSilvana F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Department, The Epworth Hospital, Richmond, Victoria, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 17:S14-20. 2008..Although there is no clear answer to the question of optimal management of IMR at present, what is clear is that a prospective trial is urgently needed to guide us with the treatment of this clinical problem...
- Review of ECMO (extra corporeal membrane oxygenation) support in critically ill adult patientsSilvana F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Department, Epworth Hospital, Richmond, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 17:S41-7. 2008..In this review, the technical aspects of ECMO cannulation, maintenance and weaning are outlined. Complication rates and outcomes are reviewed and our experience at The Epworth Hospital is summarized...
- Public disclosure of surgeon-specific report cards: current status of the debateSilvana F Marasco
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Alfred and Royal Melbourne Hospitals, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:1000-4. 2005..This review outlines the events in the USA and UK and looks into the possible impact of the introduction of report cards in Australia...
- Early institution of mechanical support improves outcomes in primary cardiac allograft failureSilvana F Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:2037-42. 2005....
- Effect of donor preservation solution and survival in lung transplantationSilvana F Marasco
Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Melbourne, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 30:414-9. 2011..The aim of this retrospective study was to determine whether the type of preservation solution significantly alters outcomes in lung transplantation, with particular emphasis on primary graft dysfunction and mortality...
- Coenzyme Q10 therapy before cardiac surgery improves mitochondrial function and in vitro contractility of myocardial tissueFranklin Rosenfeldt
The Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Alfred Hospital, Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:25-32. 2005....
- Perioperative metabolic therapy improves redox status and outcomes in cardiac surgery patients: a randomised trialJee Yoong Leong
Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, Alfred Hospital, Department of Surgery Monash University, Baker IDI Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 19:584-91. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of perioperative metabolic therapy at a biochemical, clinical and economic level in cardiac surgical patients...
- The effects of ageing on the response to cardiac surgery: protective strategies for the ageing myocardiumFranklin L Rosenfeldt
Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, Alfred Hospital, Baker Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Biogerontology 3:37-40. 2002..Compared to placebo, CoQ10 patients had a lower release of Troponin I, improved cardiac pump function and a shorter length of stay in hospital...
- Influence of atrial fibrillation on microRNA expression profiles in left and right atria from patients with valvular heart diseaseNicola Cooley
Molecular Cardiology Laboratory, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne 8008, Victoria, Australia
Physiol Genomics 44:211-9. 2012..We conclude that VHD and AF influence miRNA expression patterns in LA and RA, but these are affected differently by disease progression and by the development of AF. These findings provide new insights into the progression of VHD...
- Techniques of reconstruction for inadequate donor left atrial cuff in lung transplantationTakahiro Oto
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1199-204. 2006..This study aims to describe the incidence, efficacy, and various techniques of LA cuff reconstruction in lung transplantation...
- Response of the senescent heart to stress: clinical therapeutic strategies and quest for mitochondrial predictors of biological ageFranklin Rosenfeldt
Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, Alfred Hospital and Baker Heart Research Institute Wynn Domain, Melbourne, Prahran Victoria 3181, Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1019:78-84. 2004....
- Selective activation of the "b" splice variant of phospholipase Cbeta1 in chronically dilated human and mouse atriaElizabeth A Woodcock
Molecular Cardiology Laboratory, Baker IDI, Heart and Diabetes Institute, PO Box 6492, St Kilda Road Central, Melbourne, 8008, Victoria, Australia
J Mol Cell Cardiol 47:676-83. 2009..The activation of PLCbeta1b is a possible therapeutic target to limit atrial remodelling in VHD patients...
- Fast-track cardiac surgery: application in an Australian settingJulian Gooi
CJOB Cardiothoracic Department, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 15:139-43. 2007..We concluded that this policy accurately identifies the low-risk cardiac surgery patients suitable for less intensive postoperative recovery...
- A practical approach to clinical lung transplantation from a Maastricht Category III donor with cardiac deathTakahiro Oto
Lung Transplant Service, The Alfred Hospital and Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:196-9. 2007....
- Survival following resuscitative thoracotomy for combined left ventricle and left atrium ruptures secondary to blunt traumaMark Fitzgerald
Emergency and Trauma Centre, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Injury 39:1089-92. 2008..This case emphasises the contribution of such a Trauma System in achieving a favourable outcome for a severely injured trauma patient with injuries previously considered non-survivable...
- Tranexamic Acid in cardiac surgery and postoperative seizures: a case report seriesDavid Bell
Department of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Heart Surg Forum 13:E257-9. 2010..Data from the neurosurgical literature show a well-established link between this antifibrinolytic and seizures. There is now increasing awareness of this association in cardiac surgery, particularly when high TxA doses are used...
- Cardiac surgery in patients with a history of malignancy: increased complication rate but similar mortalityJustin Chan
CJOB Cardiothoracic Unit, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, Victoria 3181, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 21:255-9. 2012..Our aim was to investigate in our unit the population of patients with a known malignancy and compare their outcomes to a matched population without malignancy...
- A reinforced sternal wiring technique for transverse thoracosternotomy closure in bilateral lung transplantation: from biomechanical test to clinical applicationTakahiro Oto
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Heart and Lung Transplant Unit, The Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:218-24. 2007..The aims of this study were to investigate the biomechanical and clinical efficacy of the proposed reinforced sternal closure technique...
- Skeletonized internal thoracic artery harvesting reduces chest wall dysesthesia after coronary bypass surgeryPhuong L Markman
Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, CJ Officer Brown Cardiothoracic Unit, Alfred Hospital, Australia
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:674-9. 2010..We hypothesized that its incidence and severity might be reduced by using skeletonized internal thoracic artery harvesting rather than pedicled harvesting...
- Definitive management of acute cardiac tamponade secondary to blunt traumaMark Fitzgerald
National Trauma Research Institute, The Alfred, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 17:494-9. 2005..Two cases of survival from blunt traumatic cardiac trauma are described in the present paper to demonstrate survivability in the context of rapid assessment and intervention...
- Prehospital intubation and chest decompression is associated with unexpected survival in major thoracic blunt traumaNathan Bushby
Emergency and Trauma Centre, The Alfred, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 17:443-9. 2005..Further analysis determined prehospital interventions that appeared to contribute to 'unexpected survival'...
- Coenzyme Q10 protects the aging heart against stress: studies in rats, human tissues, and patientsFranklin L Rosenfeldt
Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, Alfred Hospital and Baker Institute, Prahran 3181, Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 959:355-9; discussion 463-5. 2002..We hypothesized that CoQ10 pretreatment prior to stress could improve the recovery of the myocardium after stress...
- Long-term outcomes of cadaveric lobar lung transplantation: helping to maximize resourcesDominic T Keating
Department of Allergy, Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 29:439-44. 2010..The widespread use of CLLTx is hindered by the paucity of outcome data with respect to early complications and long-term lung function and survival...
- Paediatric lobar lung transplantation: addressing the paucity of donor organsDominic T Keating
Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 189:173-5. 2008..This approach, while it cannot address the lack of donor organs, may enable us to redress any size bias limiting paediatric lung transplantation...
- Twelve-hour reanimation of a human heart following donation after circulatory deathFranklin Rosenfeldt
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, Alfred Hospital and the Department of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 23:88-90. 2014..This report describes the first application of this technique to a human DCD heart with good functional metabolic recovery over 12h on an ex vivo rig. ..
- Safety, feasibility, and effect of remote ischemic conditioning in patients undergoing lung transplantationEnjarn Lin
Department of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, Alfred Hospital and Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Electronic address
J Heart Lung Transplant 33:1139-48. 2014..Data from animal and clinical studies suggest that remote ischemic conditioning (RIC) may reduce ischemia-reperfusion injury in solid organ transplantation...
- Analysis of bone healing in flail chest injury: do we need to fix both fractures per rib?Silvana Marasco
From the CJOB Cardiothoracic Surgery Department S F M, R S, Department of Orthopaedics S L, E E, and Department of Radiology D V, The Alfred Hospital and Departments of Surgery S F M, D V, and Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine E E Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 77:452-8. 2014..This study aimed to analyze SRF in flail chest injury, assessing 3-month outcomes for nonfixed fractured rib ends in the flail segment...
- An alternative scoring system to predict risk for surgical site infection complicating coronary artery bypass graft surgeryN Deborah Friedman
Victorian Hospital Acquired Infection Surveillance System, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:1162-8. 2007..To analyze the risk factors for surgical site infection (SSI) complicating coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery and to create an alternative SSI risk score based on the results of multivariate analysis...
- A novel method for performing sequential grafts with the radial arterySilvana Marasco
CJOB Cardiothoracic Unit, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1262-3. 2002..It also avoids the problem of picking up the back wall of this often thick-walled muscular artery given the better visibility afforded by the technique...
- Misleading turbulent flow through pulmonary venous anastomoses during lung transplantationPaul S Myles
Department of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Rd, Melbourne, Victoria, 3004, Australia
Anesth Analg 107:1504-5. 2008
- Patterns of postoperative systemic vascular resistance in a randomized trial of conventional on-pump versus off-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgeryJames Tatoulis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1436-44. 2006..We studied systemic vascular resistance (SVR) as a physiologic response to systemic inflammatory response to determine any differences between OPCAB and on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting (ONCAB) in a prospective randomized trial...
- Protective role of coenzyme Q10 in two models of rat lung injuryHou Kiat Lim
The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, VIC 3181, Australia
ANZ J Surg 80:265-70. 2010..However, its protective effect in the lung is unknown. We therefore set out to study the impact of Coenzyme Q(10) pretreatment in a model of mild and severe lung injury...
- The small-molecule BGP-15 protects against heart failure and atrial fibrillation in miceGeeta Sapra
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, PO Box 6492, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Nat Commun 5:5705. 2014..As BGP-15 is safe and well tolerated in humans, this study uncovers a potential therapeutic approach for HF and AF. ..
- Smad2-dependent glycosaminoglycan elongation in aortic valve interstitial cells enhances binding of LDL to proteoglycansNarin Osman
Discipline of Pharmacy, School of Medical Sciences and Diabetes Complications Group, Health Innovations Research Institute, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria 3083, Australia
Cardiovasc Pathol 22:146-55. 2013....
- Reduced phosphoinositide 3-kinase (p110alpha) activation increases the susceptibility to atrial fibrillationLynette Pretorius
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, St Kilda Rd Central, Melbourne, Victoria 8008, Australia
Am J Pathol 175:998-1009. 2009..Finally, in atrial appendages from patients with AF, PI3K activation was lower compared with tissue from patients in sinus rhythm. These results suggest a link between PI3K(p110alpha) and AF...
- Targeting oxidative stress in surgery: effects of ageing and therapySalvatore Pepe
CJOB Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Alfred Hospital, PO Box 315 Prahran, Melbourne VIC 318, Australia
Exp Gerontol 43:653-7. 2008..We conclude that simultaneously targeting a number of key deficiencies with a metabolic formulation prior to surgery results in peri- and post-operative clinical and economic benefits...
- Coenzyme Q10 in cardiovascular diseaseSalvatore Pepe
CJOB Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Mitochondrion 7:S154-67. 2007..3. Presently, due to the notable absence of clinically significant side effects and likely therapeutic benefit, CoQ(10) can be considered a safe adjunct to standard therapies in cardiovascular disease...
- Beating-heart surgery for the management of right coronary artery aneurysmSilvana F Marasco
Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Heart Surg Forum 7:E126-7. 2004..We describe a case of right coronary artery aneurysm in a patient presenting with exertional angina. The aneurysm was successfully managed using beating-heart surgical techniques...