Russell L Gruen
Affiliation: Alfred Hospital
- Haemorrhage control in severely injured patientsRussell L Gruen
National Trauma Research Institute, The Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Lancet 380:1099-108. 2012..Our Series paper describes how our understanding of the roles of the microcirculation, inflammation, and coagulation has shaped new and emerging treatment strategies...
- SUPPORT Tools for evidence-informed health Policymaking (STP) 9: Assessing the applicability of the findings of a systematic reviewJohn N Lavis
Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, 1200 Main St West, HSC 2D3, Hamilton, ON, Canada, L8N 3Z5
Health Res Policy Syst 7:S9. 2009....
- Indicators of the quality of trauma care and the performance of trauma systemsR L Gruen
National Trauma Research Institute, The Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Br J Surg 99:97-104. 2012..Traditional measures of in-hospital mortality fail to take into account prehospital and posthospital care, recovery after discharge, and the nature and costs of long-term disability...
- Effects of an evidence service on health-system policy makers' use of research evidence: a protocol for a randomised controlled trialJohn N Lavis
McMaster Health Forum, Hamilton, Canada
Implement Sci 6:51. 2011....
- The Global Evidence Mapping Initiative: scoping research in broad topic areasPeter Bragge
Department of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 11:92. 2011..The Global Evidence Mapping (GEM) Initiative was established in 2007 to create evidence maps providing an overview of existing research in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)...
- The effect of provider case volume on cancer mortality: systematic review and meta-analysisRussell L Gruen
University of Melbourne and Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
CA Cancer J Clin 59:192-211. 2009....
- Crocodile attacks in Australia: challenges for injury prevention and trauma careRussell L Gruen
National Trauma Research Institute, Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Level 4, 89 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Vic, 3004, Australia
World J Surg 33:1554-61. 2009..With recent deaths highlighting this as a public health issue, an evidence-based discourse about effective methods of minimizing the danger to humans is needed...
- Improving the care of people with traumatic brain injury through the Neurotrauma Evidence Translation (NET) program: protocol for a program of researchSally E Green
School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Implement Sci 7:74. 2012....
- An intensive physiotherapy program improves mobility for trauma patientsSara Calthorpe
From the Department of Physiotherapy S C, E A B, L K, M J W, C H, A E H, and the Alfred Trauma Service R L G, The Alfred Hospital Alfred Health Clinical School, La Trobe University A E H Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine L K, Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Research Centre C H and Central Clinical School Department of Surgery R L G, Monash University and The National Trauma Research Institute R L G, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 76:101-6. 2014..The primary aim of this study was to determine whether an intensive physiotherapy program resulted in improved inpatient mobility...
- Understanding practice: the factors that influence management of mild traumatic brain injury in the emergency department-a qualitative study using the Theoretical Domains FrameworkEmma J Tavender
National Trauma Research Institute, The Alfred Hospital Department of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Implement Sci 9:8. 2014....
- Safety and efficacy of pharmacologic thromboprophylaxis following blunt head injury: a systematic reviewFairleigh Reeves
From the Department of Surgery F R, L B, R L G, and National Trauma Research Institute V P, M C, L P, R L G, Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 75:642-56. 2013..This review aimed to determine whether adding PTP to mechanical prophylaxis confers net benefit or harm and the optimal timing, dose, and agent for PTP in patients with blunt head injury...
- Effective stakeholder participation in setting research priorities using a Global Evidence Mapping approachOrnella Clavisi
National Trauma Research Institute, Department of Surgery, The Alfred Hospital and Monash University, Level 4, 89 Commercial Road, Melbourne 3004, Australia
J Clin Epidemiol 66:496-502.e2. 2013....
- The definition of massive transfusion in trauma: a critical variable in examining evidence for resuscitationBiswadev Mitra
Emergency and Trauma Centre, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Eur J Emerg Med 18:137-42. 2011..We aimed to compare the traditional definition of massive transfusion (≥10 units in 24 h) to a more acute definition of at least 5 units in 4 h...
- Standardising trauma monitoring: the development of a minimum dataset for trauma registries in Australia and New ZealandCameron S Palmer
Trauma Service, The Royal Children s Hospital Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Injury 44:834-41. 2013..This study aims to describe the steps taken in the development and preliminary evaluation of the BMDS...
- Early predictors of mortality after spine trauma: a level 1 Australian trauma center studyJin W Tee
Department of Neurosurgery, The Alfred, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 38:169-77. 2013..Retrospective cohort study...
- Aggressive fresh frozen plasma (FFP) with massive blood transfusion in the absence of acute traumatic coagulopathyBiswadev Mitra
Transfusion Research Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Australia
Injury 43:33-7. 2012..The aim of this study was to test whether the presumption of benefit held true for severely injured patients who received a massive transfusion, but did not present with acute traumatic coagulopathy...
- Early management of severe traumatic brain injuryJeffrey V Rosenfeld
Department of Neurosurgery, The Alfred Hospital, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Lancet 380:1088-98. 2012..We are optimistic that further gains in outcome for patients with severe traumatic brain injury will be achieved in the next decade...
- Review article: Prehospital fluid management in traumatic brain injuryPek Ghe Tan
Royal Melbourne Hospital, and Faculty of Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 23:665-76. 2011....
- Living systematic reviews: an emerging opportunity to narrow the evidence-practice gapJulian H Elliott
Department of Infectious Diseases, Alfred Hospital and Monash University, Melbourne, Australia School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
PLoS Med 11:e1001603. 2014..Together with innovations in primary research reporting and the creation and use of evidence in health systems, living systematic review contributes to an emerging evidence ecosystem...
- Tranexamic acid for trauma: Filling the 'GAP' in evidenceBiswadev Mitra
National Trauma Research Institute, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Emergency and Trauma Centre, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 26:194-7. 2014..This and further trials involving appropriate sample populations are required before evidence based guidelines on TxA use during trauma resuscitation can be developed. ..
- Effectiveness of massive transfusion protocols on mortality in trauma: a systematic review and meta-analysisBiswadev Mitra
Emergency and Trauma Centre, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia National Trauma Research Institute, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 83:918-23. 2013..This review aimed to (i) evaluate the association between the institution of an MTP and mortality and (ii) determine the effect of MTPs on transfusion practice post trauma...
- Australian health policy makers' priorities for research synthesis: a surveyMiranda S Cumpston
Australasian Cochrane Centre, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, The Alfred Centre, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia
Aust Health Rev 36:401-11. 2012....
- Interventions for reducing wrong-site surgery and invasive proceduresPatrick Mahar
School ofMedicine, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 9:CD009404. 2012..Risk factors contributing to wrong-site surgery are variable and complex. The introduction of organisational and professional clinical strategies may have a role in minimising wrong-site surgery...
- Quality and consistency of guidelines for the management of mild traumatic brain injury in the emergency departmentEmma J Tavender
National Trauma Research Institute, The Alfred Hospital Department of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Acad Emerg Med 18:880-9. 2011....
- Injury in indigenous communities: a call for enlightened actionRussell L Gruen
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:930-1. 2007