Anna A Ahimastos
Affiliation: Alfred Hospital
- Effect of ramipril on walking times and quality of life among patients with peripheral artery disease and intermittent claudication: a randomized controlled trialAnna A Ahimastos
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, PO Box 6492, St Kilda Rd Central, Melbourne, Victoria, 8008 Australia
JAMA 309:453-60. 2013..Approximately one-third of patients with peripheral artery disease experience intermittent claudication, with consequent loss of quality of life...
- A role for plasma transforming growth factor-beta and matrix metalloproteinases in aortic aneurysm surveillance in Marfan syndrome?Anna A Ahimastos
Alfred and Baker Medical Unit, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Atherosclerosis 209:211-4. 2010..We hypothesised that reduction in aortic diameter would correlate with reduction in plasma TGF-beta and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) levels...
- Effect of perindopril on large artery stiffness and aortic root diameter in patients with Marfan syndrome: a randomized controlled trialAnna A Ahimastos
Alfred and Baker Medical Unit, Baker Heart Research Institute, Central Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
JAMA 298:1539-47. 2007..Aortic stiffness is increased in Marfan syndrome contributing to aortic dilatation and rupture, the major cause of premature death in this population. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors have been shown to reduce arterial stiffness...
- Brief communication: ramipril markedly improves walking ability in patients with peripheral arterial disease: a randomized trialAnna A Ahimastos
Baker Heart Research Institute, Alfred Hospital, and Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ann Intern Med 144:660-4. 2006..Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) affects up to 12% of adults older than 50 years of age. Conventional therapies have only modest effects in improving symptoms...
- Reduced arterial stiffness may contribute to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor induced improvements in walking time in peripheral arterial disease patientsAnna A Ahimastos
Alfred and Baker Medical Unit, Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
J Hypertens 26:1037-42. 2008..In the current analysis in the same patient cohort, we hypothesized that this relationship may, in part, be causal...
- Sex steroids modulate human aortic smooth muscle cell matrix protein deposition and matrix metalloproteinase expressionAlaina K Natoli
Baker Heart Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hypertension 46:1129-34. 2005..In conclusion, female sex steroids promote an elastic matrix profile, which likely contributes to variation in large artery stiffness observed between sexes and with changes in hormonal status across the lifespan...
- A meta-analysis of the outcome of endovascular and noninvasive therapies in the treatment of intermittent claudicationAnna A Ahimastos
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Vasc Surg 54:1511-21. 2011..We conducted a meta-analysis of randomized trials assessing the efficacy of endovascular therapy (EVT) compared with noninvasive therapies for the treatment of intermittent claudication...
- Ramipril reduces large-artery stiffness in peripheral arterial disease and promotes elastogenic remodeling in cell cultureAnna A Ahimastos
Alfred and Baker Medical Unit, Baker Medical Research Institute, P O Box 6492, St Kilda Road Central, Melbourne, Victoria, 8008, Australia
Hypertension 45:1194-9. 2005....
- Oral nitrate therapy does not affect glucose metabolism in healthy menDarren C Henstridge
Alfred and Baker Medical Unit, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:1086-92. 2009..4. In conclusion, these results indicate that acute oral nitrate therapy does not influence glucose metabolism. Studies using NO donors in a chronic setting are required to clarify the role of NO in mediating peripheral glucose uptake...
- Arterial stiffness and coronary ischemic diseaseBronwyn A Kingwell
Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Adv Cardiol 44:125-38. 2007..However, it remains to be elucidated whether agents specifically targeted to reduce large artery stiffness provide ischemic protection in the setting of coronary disease...
- Gender differences in large artery stiffness pre- and post pubertyAnna A Ahimastos
Alfred and Baker Medical Unit, Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, 8008 Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5375-80. 2003..Together these data suggest that large artery stiffness varies intrinsically between genders but is also modulated by both male and female sex steroids...