- The role of intravenous iron in anemia management and transfusion avoidance
Private Practice, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Transfusion 48:988-1000. 2008
- Clinical use of intravenous iron: administration, efficacy, and safety
Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2010:338-47. 2010
..The potential advantages of total dose infusion (TDI), complete repletion in a single setting, are highlighted. A new paradigm for iron replacement therapy in iron deficiency anemia is presented...
- Intravenous iron as standard of care in oncology: opportunity lost
Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 48:455-7. 2008
- Intravenous iron in oncology
Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 6:585-92; quiz 592. 2008
..This article presents evidence recommending routine incorporation of IV Fe into treatment for CIA...
- Low-molecular weight iron dextran and iron sucrose have similar comparative safety profiles in chronic kidney disease
Auerbach Hematology and Oncology, Baltimore, Maryland 21237, USA
Kidney Int 73:528-30. 2008
..Administration of iron salts to pre-dialysis patients with chronic kidney disease may not be optimal. We recommend the total dose infusion of low molecular weight iron dextran as an option for iron replacement...
- Intravenous iron: from anathema to standard of care
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Private Practice Baltimore Maryland, Clinical Professor of Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Hematol 83:580-8. 2008
..Intravenous iron has been shown to overcome hepcidin induced iron restricted erythropoiesis in iron-replete patients. Available clinical and experimental data suggest that increased utilization of intravenous iron should be considered...
- Clinical update: intravenous iron for anaemia
Auerbach Haematology and Oncology, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21237, USA
Lancet 369:1502-4. 2007
- Intravenous iron optimizes the response to recombinant human erythropoietin in cancer patients with chemotherapy-related anemia: a multicenter, open-label, randomized trial
Averbach Hematology Oncology, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1301-7. 2004
..Intravenous (IV) iron improves hemoglobin (Hb) response and decreases dosage requirements in patients with anemia of kidney disease, but its effect has not been studied in randomized trials in cancer patients...
- A randomized trial of three iron dextran infusion methods for anemia in EPO-treated dialysis patients
Franklin Square Hospital Center and Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21237 3998, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 31:81-6. 1998
..Total-dose intravenous iron dextran infusion is safe, convenient, less expensive, and as efficacious as divided-dose infusions...
- Value of methylprednisolone in prevention of the arthralgia-myalgia syndrome associated with the total dose infusion of iron dextran: a double blind randomized trial
Franklin Square Hospital Center, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Lab Clin Med 131:257-60. 1998
..These data demonstrate that administration of MP before and after TDI reduces the frequency and severity of the arthralgia-myalgia syndrome. We conclude that 125 mg i.v. MP should be given routinely before and after TDI of iron dextran...
- Darbepoetin alfa 300 or 500 μg once every 3 weeks with or without intravenous iron in patients with chemotherapy-induced anemia
Auerbach Hematology Oncology Associates, 9110 Philadelphia Road, Baltimore, MD 21237, USA
Am J Hematol 85:655-63. 2010
..Transient anaphylactoid reactions were reported in two patients receiving IV iron. Darbepoetin alfa at 300 μg Q3W and 500 μg Q3W showed similar benefit, while added IV iron improved treatment response in these patients...
- Ferumoxytol as a new, safer, easier-to-administer intravenous iron: yes or no?
Am J Kidney Dis 52:826-9. 2008
- Should intravenous iron be the standard of care in oncology?
J Clin Oncol 26:1579-81. 2008
- High-molecular weight iron dextran: a wolf in sheep's clothing?
George M Rodgers
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:833-4. 2008
- Iron and the anaemia of chronic disease: a review and strategic recommendations
Medical School, Cardiff University, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 22:731-7. 2006
..Improvement in the management of anaemia requires a fundamental change of attitude from healthcare professionals...
- Intravenous ferric gluconate significantly improves response to epoetin alfa versus oral iron or no iron in anemic patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy
David H Henry
Joan Karnell Cancer Center, Pennsylvania Hospital, 230 West Washington Square, Philadelphia, PA 19106, USA
Oncologist 12:231-42. 2007
..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of intravenous (IV) sodium ferric gluconate complex (FG), oral ferrous sulfate, or no iron to increase hemoglobin (Hb) in anemic cancer patients receiving chemotherapy and epoetin alfa...
- Intravenous iron
N Engl J Med 357:93-4. 2007
- Increased importance of intravenous iron in chemotherapy-induced anemia
J Clin Oncol 25:2145-6. 2007