Affiliation: Zentrum f
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Certified in Hematology and Internal Medicine (both FMH)
Certified laboratory specialist in Hematology (FAMH)
Director Unilabs Coagulation Laboratory Zurich
Director Center for Perioperative Thrombosis and Hemostasis
- state of the art coagulation testing
- outpatient clinic for patients with coagulation problems
- inpatient perioperative managament of patients
- coagulation expertise/consulting (industry, hospitals)
- Thyroid cell lines in research on goitrogenesisH Gerber
Laboratory of Experimental Endocrinology, University Clinic of Medicine, Inselspital, Berne, Switzerland
Thyroidology 3:115-8. 1991..Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells and COS-7 cells, stably transfected with TSH receptor cDNA and expressing a functional TSH receptor, are discussed as examples for non-thyroidal cells, transfected with thyroid genes...
- Treatment of midgestational placental haemorrhage with recombinant factor VIIaAlexander Krafft
Clinic of Obstetrics, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Zurich, Frauenklinikstrasse 10, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Thromb Haemost 100:154-5. 2008
- Heparin-induced antibodies and cardiovascular risk in patients on dialysisLars M Asmis
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Thromb Haemost 100:498-504. 2008..In dialysis patients these antibodies were not an independent risk factor for cardiovascular events and mortality. Our data do not suggest that dialysis patients should be monitored for HIA antibodies in the absence of thrombocytopenia...
- Particulate matter inhalation during hay storing activity induces systemic inflammation and platelet aggregationB Schicker
Department of Internal Medicine, Kantonsspital Graubunden, 7000, Chur, Switzerland
Eur J Appl Physiol 105:771-8. 2009..These results confirm that acute inhalative exposure to high PM(10) concentrations during hay storage activity leads to a systemic inflammatory reaction, endothelial activation, and platelet aggregation...
- Excessive perioperative bleeding: are fibrin monomers and factor XIII the missing link?Donat R Spahn
Anesthesiology 110:212-3. 2009
- Kinetics of D-dimer after general surgeryDaniel Dindo
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 20:347-52. 2009..This study indicates for the first time when D-dimers may be used again in the diagnostic algorithm for venous thromboembolism exclusion after surgery in patients with low or moderate clinical probability...
- [Management of venous thromboembolism]H Seeger
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin, Universitatsspital Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 98:735-44, 746; quiz 745. 2009
- Rotation thromboelastometry (ROTEM) stability and reproducibility over timeOliver Michel Theusinger
Institute of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:677-83. 2010..So far, no clinical validation on reproducibility (inter- and intra-assay variability) and sample stability over time has been published...
- DMSO inhibits human platelet activation through cyclooxygenase-1 inhibition. A novel agent for drug eluting stents?Lars Asmis
Institute for Clinical Hematology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 391:1629-33. 2010..This study was designed to investigate whether DMSO prevents platelet activation and thus, whether it may represent an interesting agent to be used on drug eluting stents...
- Two different hematocrit detection methods: different methods, different results?Marco Bosshart
Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Res Notes 3:65. 2010..abstract:..
- Hypercoagulability in the perioperative periodVance G Nielsen
Drexel University College of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 24:133-44. 2010....
- In vitro factor XIII supplementation increases clot firmness in Rotation Thromboelastometry (ROTEM)Oliver M Theusinger
Institute of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Thromb Haemost 104:385-91. 2010....
- Immunomodulatory drugs increase endothelial tissue factor expression in vitroSerena Valsami
Division of Hematology, University Hospital of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Thromb Res 127:264-71. 2011....
- Relative concentrations of haemostatic factors and cytokines in solvent/detergent-treated and fresh-frozen plasmaO M Theusinger
Institute of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Br J Anaesth 106:505-11. 2011..Indications, efficacy, and safety of plasma products are highly debated. We compared the concentrations of haemostatic proteins and cytokines in solvent/detergent-treated plasma (SDP) and fresh-frozen plasma (FFP)...
- The influence of bevacizumab on platelet functionM Fehr
Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine, Kantonsspital Graubunden, Loéstrasse, Chur, CH
Swiss Med Wkly 141:w13243. 2011..Our data do not support the view that increased platelet activation or increased platelet adhesiveness and aggregation by bevacizumab are relevant mechanisms for thrombus formation in clinical practice...
- [The new Anticoagulants - Relevant Facts for the GP]Lars M Asmis
Unilabs Gerinnungslabor Zürich und Zentrum für perioperative Thrombose und Hämostase, Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 100:971-6. 2011..For the indications VTE, atrial fibrillation and acute coronary syndrome promising phase III data have been or are in the process of being published. Monitoring is not necessary for any of these three new anticoagulants...
- In vitro norepinephrine significantly activates isolated platelets from healthy volunteers and critically ill patients following severe traumatic brain injuryChristoph Tschuor
Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Zuerich, Raemistrasse 100, CH 8091 Zuerich, Switzerland
Crit Care 12:R80. 2008..This, in turn, could promote microthrombosis formation and induce additional brain damage...
- Contact system activation in human sepsis - 47kD HK, a marker of sepsis severity?Lars M Asmis
Division of Haematology and Central Haematology Laboratory, Inselspital, Berne, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 138:142-9. 2008..This pilot study seeks to determine whether contact system activation (CSA) occurs in human sepsis patients and to characterise blood levels of the 47kD light chain of high-molecular weight kininogen (47kD HK)...
- Epidermal growth factor stimulates cell proliferation and inhibits iodide uptake of FRTL-5 cells in vitroL M Asmis
Laboratory for Experimental Endocrinology, Medical University Clinic, Bern, Switzerland
J Endocrinol 145:513-20. 1995..Contrary to previous reports, these studies demonstrate EGF effects on FRTL-5 cells that are consistent with EGF effects established in other thyroid follicular cells...
- Acquired and naturally occurring resistance of thyroid follicular cells to the growth inhibitory action of transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta 1)L M Asmis
Department of Medicine, University Clinic of Internal Medicine, Bern, Switzerland
J Endocrinol 149:485-96. 1996..Resistant cells may escape regular growth control mechanisms and hence may contribute to the notorious heterogeneity of thyroid growth and to nodular transformation...
- Expression of transforming growth factor beta1, beta2, and beta3 in multinodular goiters and differentiated thyroid carcinomas: a comparative studyE T Kimura
Laboratory of Experimental Endocrinology, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Thyroid 9:119-25. 1999....
- [A patient with isolated prolongation of aPTT without hemorrhagic diathesis anamnesis: severe, hereditary factor XII deficiency]S Zeerleder
Hämatologisches Zentrallabor der Universität Bern, Inselspital, Bern
Ther Umsch 56:509-12. 1999..An isolated prolongation of the aPTT due to a lupus anticoagulant, however, is frequently associated with arterial and/or venous thrombosis. Therefore, in case of a prolongation of the aPTT, its cause has to be determined...
- Images in clinical medicine. Systemic mast-cell disease (mastocytosis)Lars M Asmis
University Hospital of Geneva, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 346:174. 2002
- Prekallikrein deficiency: the characteristic normalization of the severely prolonged aPTT following increased preincubation time is due to autoactivation of factor XIILars M Asmis
Central Hematology Laboratory, University of Bern, Inselspital, Bern CH 3010, Switzerland
Thromb Res 105:463-70. 2002..We conclude that the normalization of a severely prolonged aPTT upon increased preincubation time (PIT), characteristic of PK deficiency, is due to FXII autoactivation...
- Acquired and reversible Pelger-HuÃ«t anomaly of polymorphonuclear neutrophils in three transplant patients receiving mycophenolate mofetil therapyLars M Asmis
Division of Hematology, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland lars asmis2jhmi edu
Am J Hematol 73:244-8. 2003..In the other two patients, the left shift disappeared after dose reduction. In these latter two patients, a form of desensitization to the effect of MMF on neutro- phils was observed following re-augmentation of MMF dose...
- Adriamycin promotes macrophage dysfunction in miceReto Asmis
Division of Nephrology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and South Texas Veterans Health Care System, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MSC 7882, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 41:165-74. 2006....
- Molecular mechanism of glutathione-mediated protection from oxidized low-density lipoprotein-induced cell injury in human macrophages: role of glutathione reductase and glutaredoxinYanmei Wang
Graduate Center for Nutritional Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 41:775-85. 2006..Neither mechanism was sufficient to induce macrophage injury, but when stimulated concurrently, these pathways promoted the accumulation of protein-glutathione mixed disulfides and cell death...
- Engineered living blood vessels: functional endothelia generated from human umbilical cord-derived progenitorsDorthe Schmidt
Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1465-71; discussion 1471. 2006..We investigate the functionality of TEBV with endothelia generated from human umbilical cord blood-derived endothelial progenitor cells...
- Distribution and dynamic changes of sphingolipids in blood in response to platelet activationF Dahm
Swiss Hepato Pancreato Biliary HPB Centre, Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Thromb Haemost 4:2704-9. 2006..While sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) is thought to be abundantly stored in platelets and released upon stimulation, knowledge about the distribution and function of other sphingolipids in blood is lacking...
- Effect of high- and low-molecular-weight low-substituted hydroxyethyl starch on blood coagulation during acute normovolemic hemodilution in pigsCaroline Thyes
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital Lausanne, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 105:1228-37. 2006..The current study aimed to investigate in vivo the isolated effect of molecular weight on blood coagulation during progressive acute normovolemic hemodilution...
- Impact of the C2/C6 ratio of high-molecular-weight hydroxyethyl starch on pharmacokinetics and blood coagulation in pigsSebastian Schramm
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Lausanne, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 107:442-51. 2007..The authors assessed in vivo the effect of a lowered C2/C6 ratio on pharmacokinetic characteristics and the impact on blood coagulation of high-molecular-weight, low-substituted HES...
- [Mechanism of action of old and new anticoagulants]Simon F Stämpfli
Kardiovaskuläre Forschung, Physiologisches Institut, Universitat Zurich, Schweiz
Herz 33:4-12. 2008..This article intends to provide an overview of the coagulation system and established as well as novel pharmacological targets...
- Congenital hypersensitivity to vitamin K antagonists due to FIX propeptide mutation at locus -10: a (not so) rare cause of bleeding under oral anticoagulant therapy in SwitzerlandSilvia Ulrich
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Ramistrasse 100, Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 138:100-7. 2008..The severity of associated bleeding complications and the reversible nature of the bleeding diathesis may nonetheless warrant increased awareness on the part of primary care physicians in Switzerland...
- Rivaroxaban: Quantification by anti-FXa assay and influence on coagulation tests: a study in 9 Swiss laboratoriesL M Asmis
Division of Hematology, University Hospital and University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Thromb Res 129:492-8. 2012....