- Molecular characterization of resistance to Rifampicin in an emerging hospital-associated Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clone ST228, Spain
Microbiology Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, IDIBELL, Feixa Llarga s n 08907 Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Microbiol 10:68. 2010
- Diversity of pneumococcal surface protein A (PspA) among prevalent clones in Spain
Microbiology Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Universitat de Barcelona, IDIBELL, Feixa Llarga s n, 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Microbiol 9:80. 2009
- Changes in antimicrobial resistance, serotypes and genotypes in Streptococcus pneumoniae over a 30-year period
Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge and Universitat de Barcelona IDIBELL, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:402-10. 2010
..The dynamic character of serotypes and antibiotic resistance in S. pneumoniae should be controlled by a policy of prudent antibiotic use and by implementation of the new generation of conjugate vaccines...
- Serotypes, Clones, and Mechanisms of Resistance of Erythromycin-Resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae Isolates Collected in Spain
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario de Bellvitge, Feixa Llarga s n 08907, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3240-6. 2007
- An outbreak of hospital-acquired Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteraemia, including strains producing extended-spectrum beta-lactamase
Infectious Disease Service, Hospital de Bellvitge, Universidad de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Hosp Infect 47:53-9. 2001
..Our study shows that ESBL-KP bacteraemia occurring in an epidemic ICU setting is mainly catheter-related. We did not find ESBL strains to be associated with a significantly poor outcome...
- Pneumococci can persistently colonize adult patients with chronic respiratory disease
Microbiology Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge Universitat de Barcelona, IDIBELL, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 50:4047-53. 2012
..QRDR changes involved in fluoroquinolone resistance were frequently observed in persistent strains after fluoroquinolone treatment; however, the PBP sequences and MLST genotypes of these strains were stable over time...
- Evolution and genetic diversity of the Spain23F-ST81 clone causing adult invasive pneumococcal disease in Barcelona (1990-2012)
Microbiology Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge IDIBELL Barcelona University, Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 69:924-31. 2014
..We aimed to analyse the clinical epidemiology and genetic diversity of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) episodes attributed to the Spain(23F)-ST81 (PMEN1) clone...
- Increase of the M phenotype among erythromycin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates from Spain related to the serotype 14 variant of the Spain9V-3 clone
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital de Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3162-5. 2006
..7%), the rate of the M phenotype increased from 3.3% to 8.9% (P < 0.01). Clonal dissemination of mef(E)-carrying strains of serotype 14 variant of the Spain(9V)-3 clone was the major contributor to this increase...
- Trends in mortality and antibiotic resistance among HIV-infected patients with invasive pneumococcal disease
Infectious Disease Service, IDIBELL, CibeRes, Hospital Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
HIV Med 10:488-95. 2009
..The aim of the study was to describe trends and risk factors for mortality and changes in antibiotic resistance, serotypes and clones among HIV-infected patients with invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD)...
- Pneumococcal pneumonia presenting with septic shock: host- and pathogen-related factors and outcomes
Infectious Disease Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Feixa Llarga s n, 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Thorax 65:77-81. 2010
..The aim of this study was to identify risk factors for septic shock and to ascertain patient outcomes. Serotypes, genotypes and antibiotic resistance of isolated strains were also analysed...
- Impact of antibiotic therapy on systemic cytokine expression in pneumococcal pneumonia
Respiratory Medicine, Institut d Investigació Biomèdica de Bellvitge IDIBELL, University of Barcelona, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:1243-51. 2010
..016). Our data suggest that systemic expression of IL-6 production in patients with PP correlates with prognosis. Initial combination antibiotic therapy produces a faster decrease in this cytokine in the first 48 h...
- Incidence and molecular typing of Mycobacterium kansasii in a defined geographical area in Catalonia, Spain
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Epidemiol Infect 132:425-32. 2004
..kansasii disease in our area. M. kansasii disease in our geographical area was almost exclusively caused by subtype I regardless of HIV status...
- Efficacy of colistin versus beta-lactams, aminoglycosides, and rifampin as monotherapy in a mouse model of pneumonia caused by multiresistant Acinetobacter baumannii
Laboratory of Experimental Infection, Infectious Disease Service Microbiology Department, Hospital de Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1946-52. 2002
..baumannii strains. Other alternatives, including combinations with rifampin, may offer better therapeutic profiles and thus should be studied...