- One-year analysis of longitudinal changes in spirometry in patients with COPD receiving tiotropium
Department of Pulmonary Critical Care, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and the South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Audie L Murphy Division, 7400 Merton Minter Blvd 111E, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 18:75-81. 2005
..Airway medications have not been shown to reduce the loss of lung function in patients with COPD. We explored whether tiotropium 18 microg once daily could slow the rate of decline of lung function over a 1-year period...
- Impact of frequency of COPD exacerbations on pulmonary function, health status and clinical outcomes
Audie L Murphy Division, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:245-51. 2009
..COPD exacerbations are responsible for the morbidity and mortality of this disease. The relationship between exacerbations and patient-related clinical outcomes is not clearly understood...
- Inhaled corticosteroid use is associated with lower mortality for subjects with COPD and hospitalised with pneumonia
R Malo de Molina
Veterans Evidence based Research, Disseminations and Implementation Center VERDICT South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Eur Respir J 36:751-7. 2010
..76, 95% CI 0.70-0.83), and 90 days (OR 0.80, 95% CI 0.75-0.86). Outpatient therapy with ICS was associated with a significantly lower 30- and 90-day mortality in hospitalised COPD patients with pneumonia...
- Monotherapy versus combination antibiotic therapy for patients with bacteremic Streptococcus pneumoniae community-acquired pneumonia
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78284, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 26:447-51. 2007
..Randomized controlled trials are needed to determine what is the optimal empiric antimicrobial regime for patients with community-acquired pneumonia...
- Impact of macrolide therapy on mortality for patients with severe sepsis due to pneumonia
M I Restrepo
Veterans Evidence Based Research Dissemination Implementation Center, Audie L Murphy Veterans Affairs Hospital, San Antonio, TX, USA
Eur Respir J 33:153-9. 2009
..Confirmatory studies are needed to determine whether macrolide therapy may be protective for patients with sepsis...
- Impact of statins and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors on mortality of subjects hospitalised with pneumonia
E M Mortensen
VERDICT, ALMD UTHSCSA, Ambulatory Care 11C6, 7400 Merton Minter Boulevard, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Eur Respir J 31:611-7. 2008
..Randomised controlled trials are needed to examine whether the use of these medications in patients hospitalised with community-acquired pneumonia may be beneficial...
- Impact of exacerbations on COPD
111E Pulmonary Critical Care, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7400 Merton Minter Boulevard, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Eur Respir Rev 19:113-8. 2010
..Management of COPD directed to reduce incidence and severity of exacerbations improves long-term health status and conserves health care resources and costs...
- COPD is associated with increased mortality in patients with community-acquired pneumonia
M I Restrepo
The Veterans Evidence based Research, Dissemination, and Implementation CenTer, Audie L Murphy Veterans Hospital, San Antonio, TX 78284, USA
Eur Respir J 28:346-51. 2006
..Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease should be evaluated for inclusion in community-acquired pneumonia prediction instruments...
- Use of balloon-expandable metallic stents in the management of bronchial stenosis and bronchomalacia after lung transplantation
Department of Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and the South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Audie L Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital Division, 78284 7885, USA
Chest 114:1330-5. 1998
..We reviewed our experience using balloon-expandable metallic (Palmaz) stents in the management of BS and BM in LT...
- [Prognosis for acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in mechanically ventilated patients]
Unidad de Cuidados Intensivos, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Madrid, Espana
Med Intensiva 30:52-61. 2006
..To determine the variables associated with prognosis for acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (AECOPD) in mechanically ventilated patients...
- Eradication of H. influenzae in AECB: A pooled analysis of moxifloxacin phase III trials compared with macrolide agents
M S Niederman
Department of Medicine, Winthrop University Hospital, 222 Station Plaza North, Suite 509, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Respir Med 100:1781-90. 2006
..278); similar results were found when moxifloxacin was compared individually with each macrolide. For patients with AECB due to H. influenzae, moxifloxacin provided superior bacterial eradication rates than macrolide therapy...
- Guidelines for the diagnoses and treatment of adult lower respiratory tract infections: a true "European cooperative effort"
M I Restrepo
Eur Respir J 26:979-81. 2005