Affiliation: University of Eastern Finland
Location: Kuopio, Finland
Baculovirus technology, gene delivery, gene therapy
- Airenne K, Hiltunen M, Turunen M, Turunen A, Laitinen O, Kulomaa M, et al. Baculovirus-mediated periadventitial gene transfer to rabbit carotid artery. Gene Ther. 2000;7:1499-504 pubmed..Baculoviruses are thus able to mediate transient gene transfer in vivo and may become useful tools for gene therapy. ..
- Airenne K, Makkonen K, Mähönen A, Yla Herttuala S. In vivo application and tracking of baculovirus. Curr Gene Ther. 2010;10:187-94 pubmed..This review summarizes the pre-clinical in vivo work carried out with baculoviruses and discusses remaining challenges which still need to be solved. ..
- Lehtolainen P, Taskinen A, Laukkanen J, Airenne K, Heino S, Lappalainen M, et al. Cloning and characterization of Scavidin, a fusion protein for the targeted delivery of biotinylated molecules. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:8545-50 pubmed....
- Airenne K, Kulomaa M. Rapid purification of recombinant proteins fused to chicken avidin. Gene. 1995;167:63-8 pubmed..coli, biologically active fusion proteins consisting of Avd C- or N-terminally linked with the desired protein which then can easily be purified by a simple affinity chromatography procedure. ..
- Kinnunen K, Kalesnykas G, Mähönen A, Laidinen S, Holma L, Heikura T, et al. Baculovirus is an efficient vector for the transduction of the eye: comparison of baculovirus- and adenovirus-mediated intravitreal vascular endothelial growth factor D gene transfer in the rabbit eye. J Gene Med. 2009;11:382-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, intravitreal VEGF-D gene transfer caused blood-retina barrier breakdown but not neovessel formation in the rabbit eye. ..
- Lesch H, Turpeinen S, Niskanen E, Mähönen A, Airenne K, Yla Herttuala S. Generation of lentivirus vectors using recombinant baculoviruses. Gene Ther. 2008;15:1280-6 pubmed publisher..Our results show that baculoviruses are an attractive alternative for the production of lentiviruses in mammalian cells. ..
- Räty J, Liimatainen T, Unelma Kaikkonen M, Gröhn O, Airenne K, Jumani Airenne K, et al. Non-invasive Imaging in Gene Therapy. Mol Ther. 2007;15:1579-86 pubmed..This review describes the methodologies in use and highlights recent key approaches using the latest imaging modalities in gene therapy. Future trends in gene therapy imaging are also discussed. ..
- Kärkkäinen H, Lesch H, Maatta A, Toivanen P, Mähönen A, Roschier M, et al. A 96-well format for a high-throughput baculovirus generation, fast titering and recombinant protein production in insect and mammalian cells. BMC Res Notes. 2009;2:63 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the produced baculovirus vectors are compatible with gene expression in vertebrate cells in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Kaikkonen M, Räty J, Airenne K, Wirth T, Heikura T, Yla Herttuala S. Truncated vesicular stomatitis virus G protein improves baculovirus transduction efficiency in vitro and in vivo. Gene Ther. 2006;13:304-12 pubmed..Moreover, no cytotoxicity was associated with improved gene transfer efficiency. Thus, VSV-GED pseudotyping provides a simple means to enhance baculovirus-mediated gene transfer in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Salminen M, Airenne K, Rinnankoski R, Reimari J, Välilehto O, Rinne J, et al. Improvement in nuclear entry and transgene expression of baculoviruses by disintegration of microtubules in human hepatocytes. J Virol. 2005;79:2720-8 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that the intact MTs constitute a barrier to baculovirus transport toward the nucleus. ..
- Hytönen V, Laitinen O, Airenne T, Kidron H, Meltola N, Porkka E, et al. Efficient production of active chicken avidin using a bacterial signal peptide in Escherichia coli. Biochem J. 2004;384:385-90 pubmed..Nucl. Med. 37, 1380-1384]. The present method provides a feasible and inexpensive alternative for the production of recombinant avidin, avidin mutants and avidin fusion proteins for novel avidin-biotin technology applications. ..
- Oker Blom C, Airenne K, Grabherr R. Baculovirus display strategies: Emerging tools for eukaryotic libraries and gene delivery. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic. 2003;2:244-53 pubmed..Finally, the viruses can accommodate large insertions of foreign DNA and replicate only in insect cells. Together, these are attributes that are very likely to make them important tools in functional genomics and proteomics. ..
- Lehtolainen P, Wirth T, Taskinen A, Lehenkari P, Leppanen O, Lappalainen M, et al. Targeting of biotinylated compounds to its target tissue using a low-density lipoprotein receptor-avidin fusion protein. Gene Ther. 2003;10:2090-7 pubmed..These results suggest that local gene transfer of the fusion protein to target tissues may offer a novel tool for the delivery of biotinylated molecules in vitro and in vivo for therapeutic and imaging purposes. ..
- Juuti Uusitalo K, Airenne K, Laukkanen A, Punnonen E, Olkkonen V, Gruenberg J, et al. Selective targeting of avidin/mannose 6-phosphate receptor chimeras to early or late endosomes. Eur J Cell Biol. 2000;79:458-68 pubmed..Our results also suggest that the YKYSKV sequence close to the CI-MPR transmembrane segment is sufficient for targeting to sorting early endosomes. ..
- Laukkanen M, Mannermaa S, Hiltunen M, Aittomaki S, Airenne K, Janne J, et al. Local hypomethylation in atherosclerosis found in rabbit ec-sod gene. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999;19:2171-8 pubmed....
- Airenne K, Marjomäki V, Kulomaa M. Recombinant avidin and avidin-fusion proteins. Biomol Eng. 1999;16:87-92 pubmed..This review article presents an overview of the current status of these systems. Future trends in the production and applications of recombinant avidin and avidin-fusion proteins are also discussed. ..
- Airenne K, Laitinen O, Alenius H, Mikkola J, Kalkkinen N, Arif S, et al. Avidin is a promising tag for fusion proteins produced in baculovirus-infected insect cells. Protein Expr Purif. 1999;17:139-45 pubmed..The versatility with which avidin fusion proteins can be detected, purified, and immobilized is the basis for the use of our system as a useful alternative in eukaryotic fusion protein production. ..
- Laitinen O, Nordlund H, Hytönen V, Uotila S, Marttila A, Savolainen J, et al. Rational design of an active avidin monomer. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:4010-4 pubmed..This new monomeric avidin, which binds biotin reversibly, may be useful for applications both in vitro and in vivo. It may also shed light on the effect of intersubunit interactions on the binding of ligands. ..
- Laakkonen J, Kaikkonen M, Ronkainen P, Ihalainen T, Niskanen E, Häkkinen M, et al. Baculovirus-mediated immediate-early gene expression and nuclear reorganization in human cells. Cell Microbiol. 2008;10:667-81 pubmed..To conclude, this study shows that the non-replicative insect virus, baculovirus and its proteins can induce multiple changes in the cellular machinery of human cells. ..
- Marttila A, Airenne K, Laitinen O, Kulik T, Bayer E, Wilchek M, et al. Engineering of chicken avidin: a progressive series of reduced charge mutants. FEBS Lett. 1998;441:313-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the charge properties of avidin can be modified without disturbing the crucial biotin-binding activity. ..
- Toivanen P, Nieminen T, Viitanen L, Alitalo A, Roschier M, Jauhiainen S, et al. Novel vascular endothelial growth factor D variants with increased biological activity. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16037-48 pubmed publisher..The novel variants of VEGF-D(DeltaNDeltaC) described here are potential agents for therapeutic applications, where induction of vascular formation is required. ..
- Lesch H, Pikkarainen J, Kaikkonen M, Taavitsainen M, Samaranayake H, Lehtolainen Dalkilic P, et al. Avidin fusion protein-expressing lentiviral vector for targeted drug delivery. Hum Gene Ther. 2009;20:871-82 pubmed publisher..The lentivirus-mediated delivery of the avidin fusion protein thus represents a potential approach for the repeated targeting of cytotoxic compounds to cancer cells. ..
- Räty J, Liimatainen T, Wirth T, Airenne K, Ihalainen T, Huhtala T, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging of viral particle biodistribution in vivo. Gene Ther. 2006;13:1440-6 pubmed..Considering the widespread use of MRI in current medical imaging, the approach is likely to provide numerous future applications in imaging of therapeutic gene transfer. ..
- Kaikkonen M, Lesch H, Pikkarainen J, Räty J, Vuorio T, Huhtala T, et al. (Strept)avidin-displaying lentiviruses as versatile tools for targeting and dual imaging of gene delivery. Gene Ther. 2009;16:894-904 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that these novel vectors could be applicable for the treatment of central nervous system disorders and cancer. ..
- Laitinen O, Airenne K, Marttila A, Kulik T, Porkka E, Bayer E, et al. Mutation of a critical tryptophan to lysine in avidin or streptavidin may explain why sea urchin fibropellin adopts an avidin-like domain. FEBS Lett. 1999;461:52-8 pubmed..These findings may indicate that mimicry in the nature of the avidin sequence and fold by the fibropellins is not designed to generate biotin-binding, but may serve to secure an appropriate structure for facilitating dimerization. ..
- Lesch H, Laitinen A, Peixoto C, Vicente T, Makkonen K, Laitinen L, et al. Production and purification of lentiviral vectors generated in 293T suspension cells with baculoviral vectors. Gene Ther. 2011;18:531-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, a scalable and cost-effective capture purification step was developed based on a diethylaminoethyl monolithic column capable of removing most of the baculoviruses from the LV pool with 65% recovery...
- Schenkwein D, Turkki V, Kärkkäinen H, Airenne K, Yla Herttuala S. Production of HIV-1 integrase fusion protein-carrying lentiviral vectors for gene therapy and protein transduction. Hum Gene Ther. 2010;21:589-602 pubmed publisher....
- Airenne K, Peltomaa E, Hytönen V, Laitinen O, Yla Herttuala S. Improved generation of recombinant baculovirus genomes in Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:e101 pubmed..The introduced selection scheme is also useful for the construction of other vectors by transposition in E.coli. ..
- Kaikkonen M, Maatta A, Yla Herttuala S, Airenne K. Screening of complement inhibitors: shielded baculoviruses increase the safety and efficacy of gene delivery. Mol Ther. 2010;18:987-92 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, complement shielded baculovirus vectors represent attractive tools for effective in vivo gene delivery. ..
- Mähönen A, Makkonen K, Laakkonen J, Ihalainen T, Kukkonen S, Kaikkonen M, et al. Culture medium induced vimentin reorganization associates with enhanced baculovirus-mediated gene delivery. J Biotechnol. 2010;145:111-9 pubmed publisher..The results highlight the general importance of the culture medium in the assembly of the cytoskeleton network and in viral gene delivery. ..
- Ihalainen T, Laakkonen J, Paloheimo O, Yla Herttuala S, Airenne K, Vihinen Ranta M. Morphological characterization of baculovirus Autographa californica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus. Virus Res. 2010;148:71-4 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results provide the first 3D-characterization of baculovirus morphology and insight into its stability after storage. ..
- Laakkonen J, Mäkelä A, Kakkonen E, Turkki P, Kukkonen S, Peranen J, et al. Clathrin-independent entry of baculovirus triggers uptake of E. coli in non-phagocytic human cells. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5093 pubmed publisher..This study increases our understanding of virus entry strategies and gives new insight into baculovirus-mediated gene delivery in human cells. ..
- Airenne K, Sarkkinen P, Punnonen E, Kulomaa M. Production of recombinant avidin in Escherichia coli. Gene. 1994;144:75-80 pubmed..coli which then can easily be purified by affinity chromatography on a biotin column in a single step. ..
- Airenne K, Makkonen K, Mähönen A, Yla Herttuala S. Baculoviruses mediate efficient gene expression in a wide range of vertebrate cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;737:279-301 pubmed publisher....
- Helppolainen S, Nurminen K, Määttä J, Halling K, Slotte J, Huhtala T, et al. Rhizavidin from Rhizobium etli: the first natural dimer in the avidin protein family. Biochem J. 2007;405:397-405 pubmed..Similarly to avidin, rhizavidin was observed to accumulate rapidly, mainly in the liver. Evidently, rhizavidin could be used as a complement to (strept)avidin in (strept)avidin-biotin technology. ..
- Mähönen A, Airenne K, Lind M, Lesch H, Yla Herttuala S. Optimized self-excising Cre-expression cassette for mammalian cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;320:366-71 pubmed..SSi-Cre should thus provide a useful tool for various applications based on the Cre/loxP system. ..
- Karisola P, Mikkola J, Kalkkinen N, Airenne K, Laitinen O, Repo S, et al. Construction of hevein (Hev b 6.02) with reduced allergenicity for immunotherapy of latex allergy by comutation of six amino acid residues on the conformational IgE epitopes. J Immunol. 2004;172:2621-8 pubmed..Hevein with a highly reduced ability to bind IgE should provide a valuable candidate molecule for immunotherapy of latex allergy and is anticipated to have a low risk of systemic side effects...
- Raty J, Airenne K, Marttila A, Marjomaki V, Hytönen V, Lehtolainen P, et al. Enhanced gene delivery by avidin-displaying baculovirus. Mol Ther. 2004;9:282-91 pubmed..Altogether, we show that avidin display is a rapid and versatile method to improve viral properties for gene delivery. ..
- Kukkonen S, Airenne K, Marjomaki V, Laitinen O, Lehtolainen P, Kankaanpää P, et al. Baculovirus capsid display: a novel tool for transduction imaging. Mol Ther. 2003;8:853-62 pubmed..Furthermore, capsid-modified baculoviruses hold great promise for the nuclear and subcellular targeting of transgenes and as a novel peptide display system for a variety of eukaryotic applications. ..
- Lehtolainen P, Tyynela K, Kannasto J, Airenne K, Yla Herttuala S. Baculoviruses exhibit restricted cell type specificity in rat brain: a comparison of baculovirus- and adenovirus-mediated intracerebral gene transfer in vivo. Gene Ther. 2002;9:1693-9 pubmed..The knowledge of the cell type specificity of the vectors may offer a possibility to achieve targeted gene delivery to distinct brain areas. Baculoviruses seem to be especially useful for the targeting of choroid plexus cells. ..
- Laitinen O, Marttila A, Airenne K, Kulik T, Livnah O, Bayer E, et al. Biotin induces tetramerization of a recombinant monomeric avidin. A model for protein-protein interactions. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:8219-24 pubmed..This study may suggest a biological role for low molecular weight ligands in inducing oligomerization and in maintaining the stability of multimeric protein assemblies. ..
- Marttila A, Laitinen O, Airenne K, Kulik T, Bayer E, Wilchek M, et al. Recombinant NeutraLite avidin: a non-glycosylated, acidic mutant of chicken avidin that exhibits high affinity for biotin and low non-specific binding properties. FEBS Lett. 2000;467:31-6 pubmed..Due to its acidic pI, it is relatively free from non-specific binding to DNA and cells. The recombinant NeutraLite Avidin retains seven lysines per subunit, which are available for further conjugation and derivatization. ..
- Kaikkonen M, Viholainen J, Närvänen A, Yla Herttuala S, Airenne K. Targeting and purification of metabolically biotinylated baculovirus. Hum Gene Ther. 2008;19:589-600 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the utility of metabolically biotinylated baculovirus for vector targeting and viral purification applications. ..
- Mähönen A, Airenne K, Purola S, Peltomaa E, Kaikkonen M, Riekkinen M, et al. Post-transcriptional regulatory element boosts baculovirus-mediated gene expression in vertebrate cells. J Biotechnol. 2007;131:1-8 pubmed..Thus, inclusion of the WPRE into a baculovirus vector provides a simple means to improve BV-mediated gene expression in vertebrate cells. ..
- Räty J, Liimatainen T, Huhtala T, Kaikkonen M, Airenne K, Hakumäki J, et al. SPECT/CT imaging of baculovirus biodistribution in rat. Gene Ther. 2007;14:930-8 pubmed..Additionally, transduction of kidneys was seen with i.m. and i.f. administrations. We conclude that baculovirus may be beneficial for the treatment of kidney diseases after i.p. administration route. ..
- Leppänen P, Kholova I, Mähönen A, Airenne K, Koota S, Mansukoski H, et al. Short and long-term effects of hVEGF-A(165) in Cre-activated transgenic mice. PLoS ONE. 2006;1:e13 pubmed..These findings have implications for the design of long-term clinical trials using hVEGF-A(165) gene and protein. ..
- Laitinen O, Airenne K, Hytönen V, Peltomaa E, Mähönen A, Wirth T, et al. A multipurpose vector system for the screening of libraries in bacteria, insect and mammalian cells and expression in vivo. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:e42 pubmed..The pBVboostFG enables screening of genome-wide libraries, thus making it an efficient new platform technology for functional genomics. ..
- Laitinen O, Hytönen V, Ahlroth M, Pentikainen O, Gallagher C, Nordlund H, et al. Chicken avidin-related proteins show altered biotin-binding and physico-chemical properties as compared with avidin. Biochem J. 2002;363:609-17 pubmed..These, together with the other properties of the AVRs described in the present paper, may offer advantages over avidin and streptavidin, making the AVRs applicable for improved avidin-biotin technological applications. ..
- Airenne K, Oker Blom C, Marjomäki V, Bayer E, Wilchek M, Kulomaa M. Production of biologically active recombinant avidin in baculovirus-infected insect cells. Protein Expr Purif. 1997;9:100-8 pubmed....