- Development of a new instrument for measuring the musculoskeletal load and physical health of professional orchestral musicians
Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 25:95-101. 2010
..To develop questionnaire and physical examination instruments that could be used by researchers and clinicians to undertake a detailed baseline assessment of professional orchestral musicians...
- Musculoskeletal pain and injury in professional orchestral musicians in Australia
Discipline of Biomedical Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 27:181-7. 2012
- MPPA Welcomes a New Editor
Bronwen J Ackermann
University of Sydney, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 31:59. 2016
..I would like to first and foremost thank my predecessors in this role, Dr. Ralph Manchester and Dr. Alice Brandfonbrener, for their outstanding contributions as editors, leaving very big shoes to fill. ..
- Incidence of injury and attitudes to injury management in skilled flute players
Bronwen J Ackermann
Discipline of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
Work 40:255-9. 2011
..The flute is a highly popular instrument, yet little is known about the potential injury association with playing this instrument...
- Sound exposure of professional orchestral musicians during solitary practice
Discipline of Biomedical Science, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, New South Wales, 2141, Australia
J Acoust Soc Am 134:2748-54. 2013
..Data presented will enable more effective and targeted management strategies for this population...
- Development of a specific exercise programme for professional orchestral musicians
Discipline of Biomedical Science, Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW 1825, Australia
Inj Prev 19:257-63. 2013
..Formative and process evaluation procedures were undertaken during the development of the programme to ensure high methodological credibility...
- Hearing conservation and noise management practices in professional orchestras
University of Sydney, School of Medical Sciences, Discipline of Biomedical Sciences, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Occup Environ Hyg 9:602-8. 2012
..This will enable both consistent procedures and meaningful dialogue between the orchestras on the topics of hearing conservation, audiological monitoring, and educational practices...
- The usefulness of on-site physical therapy-led triage services for professional orchestral musicians -- a national cohort study
Discipline of Biomedical Science, Sydney Medical School, P, O, Box 170, Lidcombe, NSW, 1825, Australia
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 14:98. 2013
- Attitudes and practices of parents of teenage musicians to health issues related to playing an instrument: a pilot study
Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, NSW 2141, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 28:24-7. 2013
..A more detailed study of the issues considered in this pilot study appears warranted...
- Description and evaluation of a hearing conservation program in use in a professional symphony orchestra
1 Discipline of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Ann Occup Hyg 59:265-76. 2015
..This study provides a basis for those wishing to implement or evaluate similar paradigms...
- A clinical trial of active hearing protection for orchestral musicians
a Discipline of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, Australia
J Occup Environ Hyg 11:450-9. 2014
..Results indicate these earplugs are a very positive step towards a usable hearing conservation tool for orchestral musicians to use in conjunction with other risk mitigation measures...
- Functional anatomy of the soft palate applied to wind playing
The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 25:183-9. 2010
..These muscles contribute to either a palatal or a pharyngeal component of velopharyngeal closure. This information should guide further research into targeted methods of assessment, management, and treatment of VPI in wind musicians...