- Development of a new instrument for measuring the musculoskeletal load and physical health of professional orchestral musicians
Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 25:95-101. 2010
..To develop questionnaire and physical examination instruments that could be used by researchers and clinicians to undertake a detailed baseline assessment of professional orchestral musicians...
- Musculoskeletal pain and injury in professional orchestral musicians in Australia
Discipline of Biomedical Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 27:181-7. 2012
- Incidence of injury and attitudes to injury management in skilled flute players
Bronwen J Ackermann
Discipline of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
Work 40:255-9. 2011
..The flute is a highly popular instrument, yet little is known about the potential injury association with playing this instrument...
- Sound exposure of professional orchestral musicians during solitary practice
Discipline of Biomedical Science, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, New South Wales, 2141, Australia
J Acoust Soc Am 134:2748-54. 2013
..Data presented will enable more effective and targeted management strategies for this population...
- Development of a specific exercise programme for professional orchestral musicians
Discipline of Biomedical Science, Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW 1825, Australia
Inj Prev 19:257-63. 2013
..Formative and process evaluation procedures were undertaken during the development of the programme to ensure high methodological credibility...
- Hearing conservation and noise management practices in professional orchestras
University of Sydney, School of Medical Sciences, Discipline of Biomedical Sciences, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Occup Environ Hyg 9:602-8. 2012
..This will enable both consistent procedures and meaningful dialogue between the orchestras on the topics of hearing conservation, audiological monitoring, and educational practices...
- The usefulness of on-site physical therapy-led triage services for professional orchestral musicians -- a national cohort study
Discipline of Biomedical Science, Sydney Medical School, P, O, Box 170, Lidcombe, NSW, 1825, Australia
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 14:98. 2013
- Attitudes and practices of parents of teenage musicians to health issues related to playing an instrument: a pilot study
Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, NSW 2141, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 28:24-7. 2013
..A more detailed study of the issues considered in this pilot study appears warranted...
- A clinical trial of active hearing protection for orchestral musicians
a Discipline of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, Australia
J Occup Environ Hyg 11:450-9. 2014
- Functional anatomy of the soft palate applied to wind playing
The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Med Probl Perform Art 25:183-9. 2010
..These muscles contribute to either a palatal or a pharyngeal component of velopharyngeal closure. This information should guide further research into targeted methods of assessment, management, and treatment of VPI in wind musicians...