- Does widowhood affect memory performance of older persons?
Marja J Aartsen
Department of Sociology and Social Gerontology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 35:217-26. 2005
..Whether conjugal bereavement also affects memory functioning has largely been unexamined. The present study investigates the effect of widowhood on memory functioning in older persons...
- Activity in older adults: cause or consequence of cognitive functioning? A longitudinal study on everyday activities and cognitive performance in older adults
Marja J Aartsen
Department of Sociology and Social Gerontology, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 57:P153-62. 2002
..It is suggested that no specific activity, but rather socioeconomic status to which activities are closely connected, contributes to maintenance of cognitive functions...
- The impact of change in cognitive functioning and cognitive decline on disability, well-being, and the use of healthcare services in older persons. Results of Longitudinal Aging Study Amsterdam
Hannie C Comijs
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine and Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 19:316-23. 2005
..With the aging of the population, the number of persons with cognitive impairment is likely to increase, and appropriate services should be available to them...
- Gender differences in level and change in cognitive functioning. Results from the Longitudinal Aging Study Amsterdam
Marja J Aartsen
Department of Sociology and Social Gerontology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gerontology 50:35-8. 2004
..Gender differences in level of cognitive functioning are frequently observed, but little is known about gender differences in rate of decline of cognitive functioning...
- Risk factors for anxiety and depression in the elderly: a review
Knowledge Centre of Psychiatry in the Elderly, Oude Arnhemseweg 260, 3705 BK Zeist, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 106:29-44. 2008
..This paper gives a comprehensive overview and compares risk factors associated with anxiety and depression in the elderly...
- Depression and cognition: how do they interrelate in old age?
Tessa N van den Kommer
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:398-410. 2013
..To disentangle the reciprocal effects between depressive symptoms and cognitive functioning over time and to study the association between changes in their trajectories using 13 years of follow-up...
- Short-term versus long-term longitudinal changes in processing speed
Department of Gerontopsychology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Gerontology 50:17-21. 2004
..Previous longitudinal studies of cognitive aging have focused on long-term performance changes. A recent surge of research has demonstrated that there are reliable interindividual differences in short-term cognitive performance changes...